Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Amazing Race  (Read 15357 times)

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
The Amazing Race
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »

Haven't watched it yet.  Won't watch it until Monday night with dinner.

Just wanted to start a thread so that someone doesn't puke TAR spoilers into the Survivor thread like last year.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

euro60

• City Elder
Re: The Amazing Race
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »

Really enjoyed tonight's episode. Lots of action, lots of crazy stuff, including at the very end (which I won't detail further so as not to spoil anything for Poncho--suffice to say that Phil commented "in all of TAR, we had never happened anything like this"--I"m paraphrasing)

Looks like we got another great season ahead of us. I love TAR
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »

Entertaining premiere by default due to all of the beginning scrambling, the skydiving and the wild ending.  But I didn't really find myself connecting with or rooting for any of the teams.  And yeah, it's too early to tell if that will continue, but when that happens, it becomes a big problem with TAR for me, because seasons will become more of a background noise type of show unless I am actually engaged with certain teams, or at least one individual team, to root for.  I guess Mark and Bopper ended up actually being pretty funny, though I see them being a team who consistently finishes middle to lower pack.  Otherwise I was annoyed by some of the casting ... the Jersey Shore wannabes, the Big Brother couple, the lame "divorced and dating" team.  

And then there's the ending.  I figured I would feel sorry for those girls when they inevitably got surpassed by the guidos, but I couldn't help but kind of smirk due to their cocky intro reel at the beginning.  Maybe cocky isn't the right word, but they played up that script that just about every younger female on any reality show always does, the "people will look at us and think we're just pretty girls, but we're not!  We're really athletic and intelligent!" ... and then to have that kind of bizarre mistake, it was kind of ironic and funny.  I still wish they had just eliminated the guidos though.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:25:42 AM »

Really enjoyed tonight's episode. Lots of action, lots of crazy stuff, including at the very end (which I won't detail further so as not to spoil anything for Poncho--suffice to say that Phil commented "in all of TAR, we had never happened anything like this"--I"m paraphrasing)

Looks like we got another great season ahead of us. I love TAR

You don't have to worry about spoiling me in this thread.  I know better than to look at it until I watch the current episode.

My complaint was spoiling TAR in the Survivor thread.  I walked in there looking to discuss Survivor stuff and got walloped with TAR stuff I didn't know yet.  Spoilers in their own shows thread are cool.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:51:22 AM »

the lame "divorced and dating" team.  

That's an awkward label.  It makes it sound like they are divorced from each other and dating.  They are divorced from other people and dating each other... just like millions of couples every day on Earth.  She just had a crush on him since high school and then they were single at opposing times.

I think she is my favorite out of the gate.  She had the best lines of the show:

"My uterus is in my throat!"
"I want to rub my face in this!"

Being the only person shown to correctly pronounce empanada.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:53:20 PM »

That's an awkward label.  It makes it sound like they are divorced from each other and dating.  They are divorced from other people and dating each other... just like millions of couples every day on Earth.  She just had a crush on him since high school and then they were single at opposing times.

I know their status.  I used that description so that you would know the team I was referring to.  My finding them lame isn't a character judgment and doesn't really have to do with the fact that they're recently divorced daters, it's that on paper they come straight out of the vanilla, MOR "attractive couple" CBS casting handbook.  She's a good-looking younger girl who will be eye candy, he's a ripped dude who probably has a barbed wire tattoo on his bicep (eye candy for the other side of the spectrum).  Whether it's TAR or Survivor, there's a surplus of these types every season, and typically they aren't very interesting and I wonder if casting didn't just go find them in some LA bar somewhere.  I would concede that I'm just stereotyping and would love to be proved wrong, and while the latter is true, I've just seen enough of those types that I don't have much faith that they will end up doing much for the show.  I'm not saying that we need a whole cast of the middle-aged clown type teams either.  But I like casts who generally just don't seem like the usual group of cardboard cut-outs we get season after season. 

Oh, and regarding the spoilers thing.  As the person who "puked" said spoilers last season, please allow me to retort. It is bizarre to me that the results of a TV show after it airs would be considered a "spoiler."  To me spoilers are, well, literal spoilers, which exist for TAR, Survivor, and probably most other reality shows I don't pay attention to: knowing the boot orders previous to the episodes airing.  I realize that the DVR age has changed how people watch television, but regardless, to me a show is a show, it begins and ends at the time that it airs.  My perspective is different if we're talking about discussing the plot of a newer film or a book given what those kind of entities are.  But when we're talking about a show that airs at the same time every week, I just view that as what it is.  Now, I realize that what we're talking about here is spreading that info around in other threads. 

Last season, us WOXY migrators came here and created the Survivor thread to continue talking about the current season.  Since there was no TAR thread and most of us posted in both, we had previously discussed TAR in that thread a few weeks prior to the finale.  But IIRC, Poncho didn't show up in the Survivor thread until something like the day after the TAR finale, where naturally we had been discussing it (and by "we" I mean only about 3 or 4 loyalists).  Hence the idea of a newcomer being spoiled by that talk would have never occurred to me.  Had I previously known that Poncho sees the show a few days later, I would have posted accordingly.  I'll be watching the new season of Mad Men next month.  If I was posting in a MM thread and someone happened to make a post comparing Don Draper to Richard Hatch, I wouldn't hesitate to say something like "so, what did you think of the last episode?  I thought that Colton blindside was great" without it crossing my mind that I could be spoiling someone.  But the reality is that unless Don Draper became a nudist homosexual, no one would make that comparison, and the overlap won't be there like there would be for two similar CBS reality show threads.  I use this example just to show how Poncho and I's views on "spoiling" differ.  Now that the threads are separate, it won't be a problem.  But I needed to tell my POV of things regarding that whole situation being referenced here.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:02:01 PM »

I agree in the thread for the show that once it airs, it's not spoiling.  

However, I wouldn't talk about the finale of Mad Men (which I don't actually watch, but since you used it) in the Survivor thread a day or two after the big cliffhanger (if that kind of show has such a thing) without putting it in spoiler tags... but that's just how I roll.  Just on the assumption that someone may not have seen it yet and wouldn't know to avoid that thread.

They ALL die!

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:10 PM »

Well, I was disappointed the girls didn't beat out the guidos. I mean, really? I was totally rooting for them because they did seem sweet. I knew the clowns probably wouldn't be around long but was also sad to see them go. Not sure which team I am rooting for. Possibly the team that has come in first 2x now. Jersey boys need to be sent back to Jersey, the boarder agents are annoying as well as Big Brother. Enough with the return characters from CBS reality tv shows. Ugh.

Anyone watching Celebrity Apprentice? If so, I'll start a thread (didn't see one). I am not normally a fan but come on: George Takei is on this season. :D
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »

It was sad to me when the two teams teamed up to pass the clowns.  Not that that's not smart gameplay, because it was.  But it was awkward and sad to watch.  I hope that the guy clown at least didn't hear the "we can at least pass the clown" line.  I also thought it was weird that there were back-to-back eliminations, I expected this one to be a non-elimination leg.  Still not feeling strongly about the cast.  Liking Mark and Bopper though.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »

I'm not really rooting for any team yet this season. Just enjoying it for the scenery, mostly.

While it was sad to see the clowns get eliminated, when I saw their "farewell" comments, I couldn't help but be a little jealous (but happy for them) as that couple truly love each other and they'll be alright.

The Jersey frats need to get elimintated NOW.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »

i'll be stunned if the big brother team comes in last and it's not a non-elimination leg, just to keep her (rachel?) around for the drama.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »

Finally caught up. Was really tired of Rachael being so down on herself tonight. Nothing like having the end come down to a matter of a minute or two.
also known as rcc94

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »

I don't remember a task that so many teams struggled on and/or had to switch like that watermelon pyramid.  Seeing stuff that was actually very challenging and difficult was refreshing.  

Three straight elimination legs is something I can't recall in a while either.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »

I looked at Mrs. Poncho immediately and said "harp strings" and she looked at me weird.  I said "those things are all different sizes and it's hard enough to stack reasonably similar items like that... I'm calling the harp strings."

She shrugged and said she thought I'd chose the physical task on this one.  She pointed out that everyone was choosing the watermelons.  Then she went "yeah, good call"

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 10:29:15 PM »

I don't remember a task that so many teams struggled on and/or had to switch like that watermelon pyramid.  Seeing stuff that was actually very challenging and difficult was refreshing.  

Three straight elimination legs is something I can't recall in a while either.
Same here. Those were 2 of the most difficult challenges I can remember if a looooooooong time. But it made for great TV watching, and the producers had to be screaming with delight that the last 2 teams actually met up for the final challenge, hours after everyone was done. Sorry to see the twins go.

And for sure now the next leg MUST be a non-elimination leg, right?

And last but not least, is anyone else as surprised as me that Team Kentucky is doing as well as they are? I mean, in the first leg of the season, my son and I agreed they'd probably not last long, but they have played well!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up