Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Amazing Race  (Read 13675 times)

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
Re: The Amazing Race
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »

I have taken to following Mrs. Poncho around the house and randomly yelling encouragement at her for mundane tasks.

"COME ON TWINNIE!  YOU CAN DO IT, TWINNIE!  UNLOAD THE DISHWASHER FAST, FAST!"

She doesn't seem nearly as amused by this as I am.

Awesome! :)

I agree about James/Abba. That works for me too because they are some of the most likable. Plus, they are seriously like the Pied Piper in every episode. ;)
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »

Well, the couple of teams that I was cheering for are now off my list. I still vote for James/Abba and hope they manage to get their bags back (based on the preview for next week). Taking their money was pretty crappy and I kept waiting for Phil to say something when each team crossed the line at check in. Oh well.

I also like the Beekman boys and am quite happy with the last team to check in going off. Hallelujah is all I can say!!
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »

I could not believe that Phil didn't say something about the money being taken.  I know this is a race, and I know it was careless of the boys. But the twins knew darn well whose money it was.  It's not like they found it in the middle of the street or something.  Would love it if AR had a reunion show like Survivor does to see if anyone would confront others after they've seen what went on. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »

I don't know the inside rules of TAR like I do Survivor, but I was a little surprised at the money thing myself.  You would think one of the "between the lines" rules would be not stealing from another team, let alone money.  But yeah, obviously it gets fuzzy whether or not money being left behind and then taken would constitute as such.  I seem to remember Boston Rob and Amber doing some controversial stuff along those lines in their season and the show just ran with it, but who knows.  I do wonder if maybe the producers didn't let it slide to make for an entertaining episode and then "assist" the locals in reimbursing the money ... seems like they made $200 or whatever it was pretty quickly on the streets of a third world country to not even lose much of their lead in the race.

Really glad the monster truckers (well, Rob) are finally off my television for good.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »

Finally coaught up with last Sunday's episode. I guess I'm rooting for the rockers at this point. The fact that the seank preview of tonight's episode seems to suggest that the rockers are in major trouble, gives me great comfort that they will not be eliminated.  ;)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »

Finally coaught up with last Sunday's episode. I guess I'm rooting for the rockers at this point. The fact that the seank preview of tonight's episode seems to suggest that the rockers are in major trouble, gives me great comfort that they will not be eliminated.  ;)
well I guess we'll find out next week if the rockers are in real trouble! Although I'm guessing (from the sneak preview at the end of tonight's episode) that they'll get help from the US Embassy in Moscow to get an emergency passport.

That aside, the synchronizing swimming challenge was just hilarious. I laoughed out loud (not that I would do any better). I am getting really annoyed with the goat farmers, though. They need to go.

This episode was one of those few times where making decisions on airline connections had an impact. Always love those.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »

I really hope they survive, if not I guess I'd have to root for Trey and Lexi, who are nice but just the quintessential token boring, MOR Amazing Race couple. 

It seemed pretty weird to me that James and Abba couldn't figure out the library thing to the point where they had to quit while Trey and Lexi seemingly did it pretty easily just by matching up the letters. 

The synchronized swimming seemed like one of the toughest challenges I've seen on TAR in a while.  And yes, the goat farmer with the glasses not being able to keep up with just the swimming was hilarious although really sad. 
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 08:16:54 AM »

I really hope they survive, if not I guess I'd have to root for Trey and Lexi, who are nice but just the quintessential token boring, MOR Amazing Race couple. 

It seemed pretty weird to me that James and Abba couldn't figure out the library thing to the point where they had to quit while Trey and Lexi seemingly did it pretty easily just by matching up the letters. 

The synchronized swimming seemed like one of the toughest challenges I've seen on TAR in a while.  And yes, the goat farmer with the glasses not being able to keep up with just the swimming was hilarious although really sad. 

Agreed. I can't believe they left their bags in the taxi. They must be really exhausted to have made that decision.

I also agree about them quitting the library challenge: the one couple I didn't expect to do well at the library challenge was Trey & Lexi. Glad the twins didn't use their express pass but I could see how the language barrier would be frustrating. I really felt for the goat farmer guy who couldn't swim very well. He should be really proud to get through that challenge and hopefully get over some fear of the water.

I will admit to being surprised the other team that flew with the goat farmers stuck with them and waited them out on the swimming challenge. That dude is such a jerk...still not going to cheer for them but I will tip my hat for their sportsmanship on this ep.

Next week's ep should be interesting to say the least.
—Samuel Butler

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »

really too bad the rockers didn't get it together... oh well... but when you are in TAR, it's inexcusable to leave your bags in the cab and in any event you should have your passport on you, in your pocket.

Still annoyed by the goat farmers.

My money is on Trey and Lexi at this point.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2012, 09:49:35 PM »

I love(d) the "PENCILS DOWN!!!" guy.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2012, 01:15:45 PM »

I actually don't hate any of the remaining teams, so I'll be happy with whoever wins. It's definitely been an entertaining few weeks!
also known as rcc94

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »

Finally caught up with last Sunday's episode. Very entertaining, even more so since most of it took place in Amsterdam, which I know well (my sister lives there).

Still annoyed that the goat farmers, arguably one of the weaker teams ever, somehow still made it through.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »

The goat farmers are, objectively, the worst TAR winners ever.  And I mean, it isn't like some under the radar, coattail-riding winner a la Survivor, they were just literally a very bad team throughout the race who struggled in the majority of the challenges.

I did some fact checking and here are the numbers on what they did throughout the race: (Keep in mind that the race starts with 11 teams) - 7th / 5th / 5th / 4th / Last (non-elimination) / Next to last / Next to last / Next to last (assisted by another team losing passports) / Next to last / Next to last / Next to last / 1st.

And so in the finale (and coming in, I had a feeling they might have a good chance at winning with the major "underdog" edit they had been receiving), the impeccable luck struck again.  They were the last team to get to Coney Island, and the other two teams clearly lost a ton of time not finding the clue before they got there, with the chippendales starting to look on the beach and whatnot.  The goat farmers didn't see it either, but lucked out when they overheard Trey and Lexi.  And then Lexi bombed the final challenge with the flags by getting emotional and probably ultimately quitting (given that they came in third). 

The most annoying thing about this season, to me, was the alliances.  Survivor-esque alliances were made this season and I wanted to see more curthroat racing.  I mean, in the first half of the finale, you had the final teams going out of their way to help each other, following each other in cars, etc.  And even that one team who were the clear villains of the season at one point (Ryan & ???, the other young attractive couple) started working with the goat farmers at one point.  I hope that kind of stuff doesn't become the norm on TAR. 
last.fm/user/cyclone23

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »

I'll echo everything that Cyclone stated. BY FAR the most "undeserving" winners ever. As soon as I saw the last challege with the flags/greetings in foreign languages, I knew the goat farmers were going to win, and easily at that.

(Equally amazing to me was that just before that, the Chippendales and Trey & Lexi didn't recognize the emblem clue as being the United Nations symbol, what rock did these people crawl from under?)

I was pulling for the Chippendales, and at least they won a new car at the next-to-last episode.

Back to the goat farmers: Cyclone, do you happen to know whether any other team ever won TAR without winning a single leg at some point in the run-up to the finish?

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »

Back to the goat farmers: Cyclone, do you happen to know whether any other team ever won TAR without winning a single leg at some point in the run-up to the finish?

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure they are the first to do so.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up