Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinead O'Connor - How About I Be Me (And You Be You)?  (Read 1011 times)

MoxyWOXY

• Summer Resident
Sinead O'Connor - How About I Be Me (And You Be You)?
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:02:53 PM »

Anyone heard it yet?  I listened to it today and was pleasantly surprised. I haven't found anything she has done since TL&TC and IDNWWIHG interesting at all, but dare I say this is an impressive return to form.

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Sinead O'Connor - How About I Be Me (And You Be You)?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »

Contrary to you (and many others I'm sure), I thought the all-out reggae Throw Down Your Arms album from some years ago was bloody brilliant.

I saw her in concert in Chicago in 2007 (in support of the Theology album) and she was very impressive.

I haven't heard the new one yet, but I will certainly check it out.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Predot

• Summer Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:07:13 PM »

Anyone heard it yet?  I listened to it today and was pleasantly surprised. I haven't found anything she has done since TL&TC and IDNWWIHG interesting at all, but dare I say this is an impressive return to form.

TL&TC remains one of my favorite albums ever, but I doubt I'll give this a spin even if it's a return to form. I have come to loathe her public persona so completely over the last 20 years that I don't know I have the stomach to sample anything new. My loss, I suppose.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »

i agree that it is way more interesting than i thought it would be. it starts deceivingly light-hearted with 4th and vine and morphs into some darker themes. it's provocative at times ("i had a thing with a man and he wasn't mine to be with, i woke up one green day with him up inside me"), and maudlin at times ("i wanted to change the world but couldn't even change my underwear"), but my recurring thought with sinead over the years has been that she is always writing autobiographical songs of which i get a little weary. it's just self-centered too often and i don't care that much about her life. she got pregnant a few times and was/is bi-polar.....i understand. she has a complicated relationship with religion. i understand.
but even despite those predictable avenues, it's good to hear her voice. it's worth checking out. take off your shoes is pretty potent and taps into that intensity that she used to ooze. and i can see an old lady being a hit for her again...

i listened to it a couple times last week but not since, so perhaps a couple more spins will put it more in focus. and what's up with that cheesey album cover? so bad it's good, or just bad?
bongo hard or bongo home

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:12 AM »

here predot. i'll save you the pain of succumbing and seeking it out  ;)
i think it's a pretty solid song for her, one of the better ones on the album.

warning: there is an F bomb early on....

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:51:09 PM by twentyshots »
bongo hard or bongo home

Bubba McBubba

• Citizen
    • Place Logo Here
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the heads-ups.  My wife is still a Sinead fan and, with her birthday coming up, this is a shoe-in.

As for myself, I have heard little after I Do Want What I Have Not Got, but I am surprised how well most of that album has stood the test of time.  Something I found odd about the passage of time is that the tracks I used to like the least on it and are now among the ones I like best, which of course means some of the songs I used to like most are now a bit of dead weight. 

Of particular annoyance to me are the sound effects on "Jump In the River".  I know there are only a few such occurrences, but they slightly derail the song for me and immediately date the album to a fixed point in the 90's

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »

it's on rdio now so i have had the chance at a few more spins. i think sinead fans will be pleased, and as an initial fan myself (mostly TL&TC and some of her early collaborations) there are bits that i have already mentioned that i like, but the hang-ups are still the same too. i honestly haven't paid this much attention to one of her albums in at least 15 years.

it's not all piss and vinegar- just some of it, and those songs tend to turn me off. like very specific hate lullabies to someone or something who has wronged her, which is a reminder of the immature sinead. for instance, it's not that i particularly disagree with her stance against the catholic church, it just comes off as a dog and pony show now...she tore that picture up 20 years ago, fer chrissake......at least try a new approach.
the production has a little bit of a studio musician stamp to it too. but even with all that she hits a nice stride for about four songs in the middle- from old lady to the wolf is getting married. those songs are heartfelt and it comes through. i had a baby is pretty good too, despite it's usual self-centered formula.

when you look at where the album begins and where it ends you're not sure if you feel good or bad about it. maybe that's her thing...swinging pendulum.

i'm giving it C+.

bongo hard or bongo home

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:20:01 PM »

It's awfully hard for anyone to recapture The Lion and The Cobra at 45.  You might still be angry or bitter or whacky, but you're not freshly angry.  But she can still sing and always had more going on for her than her voice.  The technical gifts (and emotional wonkiness) are all still there.

I'd give it a B. If you're a fan you'll like this quite a bit, but it won't rank with her best.  If you aren't a fan, you still won't be.  Same thing with the other Irish comeback record.

The O'Connor tastes like O'Connor and The Cranberries taste like Cranberries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up