Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Class Actress - Rapprocher  (Read 557 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Class Actress - Rapprocher
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:30:09 PM »

My 22 yr. old daughter mentioned this album to me the other day, knowing my musical taste. And (as usual) she was spot-on. This was released last Fall, but just now discovering it. Got it from Shake It last week. Great, great album. Reminiscent of Chairlift but even more synth and dance-driven. Love it.

Anyone else been listening to it? If not, I'd suggest you check it out.

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Class Actress - Rapprocher
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:25:09 AM »

It's a pretty good album.  I was prepared to hate it when it came out but ended up being slightly impressed.  I thought it was going to be based mainly on retro-y appeal and a hot chick but I actually liked a lot of the keyboard sounds.  Yes, they are very very 80's analog but there's a little more craft to it than just a bunch of fat bleepbloops although it doesn't always come together.

I guess the major strike against it is that there are a bunch of artists mining that same sort of arty, dancedisco sound.  They're not all *exactly* alike but they sort of mine the same vibe.  Class Actress is probably more on the fun/pop side than most, but for me that's a weird vibe.

It's not quite dance-y enough to get me all giddy and it's not really ambient/texture/arty enough to be mood music.  I guess it's good cheery background music while you're in your office or whatever. 

In the overall scheme of things, it's better than Chairlift, Phantogram, and the new Tennis.  It's about as good as Austra, Twin Sister, Tops and Frankie Rose.  I prefer Summer Camp, Selebrities, Fevers, and Grimes.

twentyshots

• City Elder
Re: Class Actress - Rapprocher
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »

It's a pretty good album.  I was prepared to hate it when it came out but ended up being slightly impressed.  I thought it was going to be based mainly on retro-y appeal and a hot chick but I actually liked a lot of the keyboard sounds.  Yes, they are very very 80's analog but there's a little more craft to it than just a bunch of fat bleepbloops although it doesn't always come together.
i agree with that.....i think some of the more interesting warbly synth is along the same lines (although way less psychedelic) than neon indian, which i liked about it.

It's not quite dance-y enough to get me all giddy and it's not really ambient/texture/arty enough to be mood music.  I guess it's good cheery background music while you're in your office or whatever. 

In the overall scheme of things, it's better than Chairlift, Phantogram, and the new Tennis.  It's about as good as Austra, Twin Sister, Tops and Frankie Rose.  I prefer Summer Camp, Selebrities, Fevers, and Grimes.
i agree with that too, sans phantogram, who are just better song writers IMO. phantogram is the only one mentioned that i own music by although grimes is tempting me lately.

i guess the overall point is class actress is kind of right down the middle for me....
bongo hard or bongo home
Pages: [1]   Go Up