Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MusicNow Festival  (Read 4604 times)

euro60

• City Elder
MusicNow Festival
« on: March 19, 2012, 02:02:50 PM »

Suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but this is happening next week Thursday and Friday at Memorial Hall.

Line-up:

Thursday, March 29th
eighth blackbird will be joined by Philip Glass to perform “Music in Similar Motion” and premiere a new work by Nico Muhly.  Sandro Perri has been added to the evening at Memorial Hall. Doors will open at 7:00 pm. Concert begins at 7:30 pm.

Friday, March 30th
A workshop presentation of a new song cycle from Nico Muhly, Sufjan Stevens and Bryce Dessner. Pedro Soler and Gaspar Claus will perform improvisations for flamenco guitar and cello at Memorial Hall.  Just added! This is the Kit joins the bill. Doors will open at 7:00 pm. Concert begins at 7:30 pm.

Tickets are on sale now.
2 Day passes are available for the Memorial Hall concerts.

As a long-time Philip Glass fan, I am really looking forward to this. The rest is gravy.

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

mizary

• Tourist
    • Blank Slate Brewing Company
Re: MusicNow Festival
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »

This is a great festival...  I can't say the music is exactly my cup of tea (especially this year)...  but it's always super high quality musicians. And always interesting.  I've been to most of the music nows...  I think I missed the first year and one year I only went one day.

I've started to just trust bryce dessner and buy tickets.  It's not a big money maker.  So I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off. Plus I like to support unique stuff like this.  Also memorial hall is breath taking.  You could be deaf and enjoy the show.  Let's just hope it's not 80 degrees that night...  I can remember in past years sweating up a storm.

The highlight for me was kronos quartet.  It think it was 2 years ago.

I also liked the year they screen sprinted shirts on-site...  I bought a shirt from a past year and got the current year printed on top of the old shirt.  It's one of my favorite shirts.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadhobbs/4310852181/

--mizary
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:50:44 PM by mizary »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:42:46 PM »

I've started to just trust bryce dessner and buy tickets.  It's not a big money maker.  So I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off. Plus I like to support unique stuff like this.  Also memorial hall is breath taking. 
Exactly how I feel about it, mizary, and the main reason (besides Philip Glass) that I bought the 2 day pass.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

kamera26

• Summer Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:20:36 AM »

I'll be there Thursday and Friday nights.  I've seen some amazing musicians (Andrew Bird, Grizzly Bear, Justin Vernon, Sharon Van Etten, St. Vincent, etc) over the years that ended up being solid indie acts.  I really hope Sufjan will mix in a few of his old songs and it won't just be original compositions.  

Sounds like Friday is sold out!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »

As I've mentioned before, I am a HUGE Philip Glass fan. His 1983 soundtrack for "Koyaanisqatsi" blew me away, and that is just the beginning of it.

Anyway, next week is truly "Philip Glass in Cincinnati" week. Not only will he be part of MusicNow (on Thursday) but to top it off, the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra will perform his Cello Concerto No. 2 on Friday/Saturday evening, in a WORLD PREMIERE. You can bet your last dollar I will be there on Saturday evening (since obviously I'll be at MusicNow on Friday).

Not to divert from the MusicNow thread, but the CSO has had some truly memorable moments this season (Lang Lang, anyone?) and this will only add to it. Really looking forward to this (and to MusicNow).

mizary

• Tourist
    • Blank Slate Brewing Company
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »

this starts tonight folks...  free show at a church on 4th st. + tix for thursday still available.

Wednesday, March 28th – FREE
FREE organ concert with James McVinnie at Christ Church Cathedral. McVinnie, from Westminster Abbey, accompanied by Nadia Sirota on viola, will be performing new pieces from Richard Reed Parry and Pulitzer Prize winning composer David Lang along with selections from Philip Glass, Bach, Arvo Part and Nico Muhly. We are pleased to announce Sam Amidon will also be performing. Doors will open at 7:00 pm. Concert begins at 7:30 pm.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »

As I've mentioned before, I am a HUGE Philip Glass fan. His 1983 soundtrack for "Koyaanisqatsi" blew me away, and that is just the beginning of it.

Anyway, next week is truly "Philip Glass in Cincinnati" week. Not only will he be part of MusicNow (on Thursday) but to top it off, the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra will perform his Cello Concerto No. 2 on Friday/Saturday evening, in a WORLD PREMIERE. You can bet your last dollar I will be there on Saturday evening (since obviously I'll be at MusicNow on Friday).
cool. i have enjoyed his work for a long time also....probably koyaanisqatsi was where it began for me too. i was way into his work on mishima as well.
anyway, with that in mind, i am pretty excited to have landed some free tickets to tomorrow night's show.
now, just so there is no confusion, philip glass will actually be there, right?
back in the 90's i didn't read the fine print (or hell, maybe large print) and traveled to columbus to see hydrogen jukebox, a glass/ginsberg collaboration, only to find that neither were there! it was still interesting but i felt kind of stupid......
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:40:41 PM by twentyshots »
bongo hard or bongo home

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »

cool. i have enjoyed his work for a long time also....probably koyaanisqatsi was where it began for me too. i was way into his work on mishima as well.
anyway, with that in mind, i am pretty excited to have landed some free tickets to tomorrow night's show.
now, just so there is no confusion, philip glass will actually be there, right?
back in the 90's i didn't read the fine print (or hell, maybe large print) and traveled to columbus to see hydrogen jukebox, a glass/ginsberg collaboration, only to find that neither were there! it was still interesting but i felt kind of stupid......
Yes, he WILL be there tonight.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 08:30:18 AM »

good night of music. the venue was wonderful, the crowd, respectful.
for the most part, the type of music played wasn't something i'd actively seek out, but i still appreciated it. however, the entire evening was worth it to hear the one piece philip glass played with eighth blackbird. THAT was phenomenal. i decided that even if he didn't perform anymore the rest of the night (which he didn't), it was a great night.

a solo piano composition of his played later was pure magic also. those two pieces had such gravity to them, nothing else came close.
it would have made more sense to work up to the all inclusive piece, but instead, they did it coming right out of the intermission. at 75, maybe that is better for glass...who knows. i'm just happy to have seen a living legend perform.
bongo hard or bongo home

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 12:12:19 PM »

good night of music. the venue was wonderful, the crowd, respectful.
for the most part, the type of music played wasn't something i'd actively seek out, but i still appreciated it. however, the entire evening was worth it to hear the one piece philip glass played with eighth blackbird. THAT was phenomenal. i decided that even if he didn't perform anymore the rest of the night (which he didn't), it was a great night.

That one 10 min. piece you refer to was absolutely outstanding. Well worth the eveningjust for that. Every time I go to Memorial Hall (which is once a year, for this festival), I keep thinking to myself "why, oh why, isn't this venue used more often for "rock" concerts?" (it is used for chamber orchestras_

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »

(it is used for chamber orchestras_

And a few ballet performances. :) It was a requirement with the donation of money given to their music fund to keep the orchestra performing live.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »

(it is used for chamber orchestras_

And a few ballet performances. :) It was a requirement with the donation of money given to their music fund to keep the orchestra performing live.
Jen, I think you might be thinking of Music Hall, not Memorial Hall (where MusicNow happened)?

Anyways, another great evening of music tonight. What a great gift of music this festival is to Cincinnati

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 11:20:26 AM »

so, euro,
did you go to the symphony? how was that?
bongo hard or bongo home

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 12:02:07 AM »

so, euro,
did you go to the symphony? how was that?
Funny you should ask, 20. Yes I did, and what a memorable evening that was. Got there early for the 7 pm "Conversation With The Audience" and Philip Glass brought a 25 min. monologue (ok, he was technically "interviewed") about a bunch of things, including the new Cello Concerto No. 2, which as it turns out is a re-orchestrated version of his soundtrack for the 2002 "Naqoyqatsi" movie (the 3rd of the "Qatsi" trilogy). Glass was personable and warm throughout, giving lots of juicy comments, such as "last night was the first time I heard this in full, I really didn't know how long this would run" (in the program it was listed at 25 min., but it actually ran about 45 min. when I heard it tonight). The concerto itself was immediately familiar if you know his work on the "Qatsi" trilogy (which I am), and it was just great. At its conclusion, the crowd went wild, with sustained standing ovations, and lots of love for Glass when he came on stage. It was announced that Glass would sign CDs at intermission, and I wondered if anyone would bother, and was worried this could be potentially embarrassing. Well, color me wrong. There was a HUGE line with folks who had bought CDs to get them signed. Wow, where did all these Glass fans come from? I just watched for a while, smiling. Happy 75th B'day, Mr. Glass! So glad you came to Cincinnati this week!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:03:50 AM by euro60 »

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »

FRIDAY APRIL 12
TINARIWEN
RICHARD REED PARRY
BUKE & GASE

SATURDAY APRIL 13
GLEN HANSARD
BROOKLYN YOUTH CHORUS
WITH THE ARIEL QUARTET
AND SHARA WORDEN

SUNDAY APRIL 14
STEVE REICH
SŌ PERCUSSION
PERFORMING THE
2012 ESME KENNEY COMMISION
COMPOSED BY DANÍEL BJARNASON

FRIDAY - SUNDAY
NATHLIE PROVOSTY
AND JESSIE HENSON
EMERY THEATRE GALLERY
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up