Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Shins - Port of Morrow  (Read 1474 times)

euro60

• City Elder
The Shins - Port of Morrow
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:52:01 PM »

Got the new Shins CD on the weekend at Shake It. (Official release is tomorrow Tuesday.)

Less poppy than earlier albums, but still quite good. James Mercer is at this point the only original remaining band member.

Anyone been listening to it?

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

virgil p colon

• City Elder
Re: The Shins - Port of Morrow
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 03:36:40 PM »

I have listened to it twice, and I think it's boring. If it wasn't for Simple Song I would call it a complete flop.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 12:53:44 AM »

as I mentioned in another thread, it really is just a James Mercer solo album, using the Shins name for his own benefit

Not bad, not great, but nowhere near as good as the previous "true" Shins albums
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:51:41 AM »

I liked most of the first half, but my attention wandered during the second half.

Which, honestly, is how I ended up feeling about Wincing. Both albums are top-heavy.

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:04 AM »

On my second listen now. I have a feeling this one will be a grower. I pretty much ignored Wincing when it came out. Listened to it on Friday and was wondering why I had ignored it. There will be so many crap albums coming out this year. Pretty sure even if this album is a snoozer for The Shins, it will still be 1000x better than that other crap. I'm willing to wait to reserve judgement until after a few more listens.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 11:48:28 PM »

been listening to this again lately, and it sounds better now than before....

I'm gonna see the Shins (a/k/a Jim Mercer with assorted choice backing musicians at this point) live later this week... Looking forward to that!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 11:55:44 PM »

I didn't think it was great but then I never thought The Shins really deserved all the hype anyway.  They've always been a small band to me and not trying to change the world.  And ironically, Winona Ryder's quote saying the opposite really only highlights that. 

But it's a decent album and perfectly enjoyable if not genius.  Just one of those albums to me where expectations were too high and there was just too much going on about did they sell out, were they really that great, etc. to try view it objectively.  Unlike seemingly most people, I liked Broken Bells so this being a slightly different direction and more Mercer-oriented didn't bother me.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »

I didn't think it was great but then I never thought The Shins really deserved all the hype anyway.  They've always been a small band to me and not trying to change the world.  And ironically, Winona Ryder's quote saying the opposite really only highlights that.

You mean Natalie Portman? Or does Winona love 'em too?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »

Natalie Portman.  Whatever.  I'm old.  Pretty much exact same chick different generation.  I hate them both.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 09:06:36 AM »

Well, Natalie hasn't been caught shoplifting yet. ;)

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »

I've kind of given up on new Shins material. It doesn't really interest me much anymore.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 11:10:08 PM »

I saw the Shins live last Friday in Guadalajara, MX. Great set. They headlined an open air music festival there, and played a 90 min. set that was for all purposes a "greatest hits" set. Just really enjoyable. Mercer commented this was their first show ever in Mexico. That aside, the audience was annoying to no end, chatting like the band was just a soundtrack to their conversations.

Pages: [1]   Go Up