Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dr. john- locked down  (Read 1018 times)

twentyshots

• City Elder
dr. john- locked down
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »

what a surprise. i heard mention of this a few weeks ago in a radio interview and did not think i would be remotely interested. i never really followed his career so why bother now?
then, i threw this on about a week ago and recalled some of that interview with new interest.
i remembered hearing some things about the production, how dan auerbach convinced him to write his most autobiographical songs to date, and to break away from his musical personae a bit. i think that honesty comes through, how the album starts in the gutter but ends up looking at the stars. it just feels natural, like he isn't trying to prove anything.

but despite my indifference towards his music hitherto, i have always thought he had a voice of character. like leon russel or van morrison, to a lesser degree. one that had been through some shit, so that works well over top of these grooves, courtesy of the rhythm section (especially in you lie). he keeps it fresh and yet classic. i like virtually all of the use of organ and horns, percussion and rhythm guitar. the other good thing is that the length of the songs seems consciously on the conservative side, and not falling into mind numbing jams, which these combinations seem prone to do.

so, the down side for me.....even though i see the need for it, is i am usually not into backing vocals. and here it's just like you would imagine three black ladies singing in support would be (i have no idea if they are actually black). it's really the only thing i could do without. and flute. hardly ever like the flute. especially the rock flute.
but really, those aren't main players so they are easy to ignore.

i don't know. it all just works and doesn't feel disingenuous in any way.

solid album. B-

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:13:00 AM by twentyshots »
bongo hard or bongo home

euro60

• City Elder
Re: dr. john- locked down
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:24:17 PM »

I heard a piece on this on NPR, including the interview with him on his autobiographical tunes, interesting.

I saw Dr. John in concert last Fall here at the Taft Theatre (co-headlining with Cindi Lauper). Great show. I don't have any of his albums and won't buy this one either, but he's a great entertainer.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:35:06 AM »

WANT WANT WANT. I think this album sounds amazing. I guess WE ALL heard the interview on NPR. :) I also saw him perform on LNJF and loved the song and performance. Can't wait to pick this up.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:15:23 AM »

I saw Dr. John in concert last Fall here at the Taft Theatre (co-headlining with Cindi Lauper).

huh? that is a strange combo.
bongo hard or bongo home

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:23:57 AM »

I've always liked Dr. John.  Never liked him enough to call myself a real fan, but yeah... at least once or twice a year I'll get in that mood and put a Dr. John album on.  Same thing with Leon Redbone, I guess.

The new album is really good.  Maybe his best effort. 

daemon

• Summer Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »

I also heard the NPR piece.  Couldn't have named a single song of his, but this album is solid.  Been going back to check his older stuff out and it definitely has a Black Keys vibe to it (yes, I realize that should be the other way around).  Now I kinda wish I'd gone to the show at the Taft.

mik

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:01:28 PM »

As an added bonus, Brian Olive plays bass on the record.........
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 12:24:27 AM »

I saw Dr. John in concert last Fall here at the Taft Theatre (co-headlining with Cindi Lauper).

huh? that is a strange combo.
Yes very strange indeed, but it worked somehow. Dr. John came on first, putting on a GREAT set, and joined at the end by Lauper for a few songs. Then she came on. I stayed for a few songs of that and then left. I had seen what I wanted to see (i.e. Dr. John). I don't really need to see Lauper jump around singing "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" at this stage of her (or my) life.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures
Pages: [1]   Go Up