Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: the avengers  (Read 1504 times)

twentyshots

• City Elder
the avengers
« on: April 28, 2012, 09:45:43 AM »

one week.
i am ready and waiting....and it is going to crush the box office.

rotten tomatoes is giving it a 96% critic's review, and a 95% viewer's review.

ticket pre-sales are more than iron man, thor, and captain america COMBINED.
and not by a little....like 1,000% per movie.

YES!!! as a long time marvel fan, i'm reading a lot of comic geeks' takes on this and it truly sounds as if this is the movie we've waited our lives for!

too bad the other original avengers, giant man and wasp aren't involved, but with a group that has seen so many members come and go, it's not a dealbreaker....
...and on the woxy wind came forth a tumblin' dickweed.

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
Re: the avengers
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »

one week.
i am ready and waiting....and it is going to crush the box office.

rotten tomatoes is giving it a 96% critic's review, and a 95% viewer's review.

ticket pre-sales are more than iron man, thor, and captain america COMBINED.
and not by a little....like 1,000% per movie.

YES!!! as a long time marvel fan, i'm reading a lot of comic geeks' takes on this and it truly sounds as if this is the movie we've waited our lives for!

too bad the other original avengers, giant man and wasp aren't involved, but with a group that has seen so many members come and go, it's not a dealbreaker....

Saw an interview on CBS Sunday Morning with Joss and I'd go see it just because he directed it. He. Is. Awesome.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/mistergugi
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »

Yeah, I'm unusually excited about this one, too. I can't see it opening weekend, but hopefully I'll see soon.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »

I already have my ticket for Friday night.  I can't believe this has already made almost 200 million dollars and hasn't been released in the US yet. 

I've very curious about what this will do for Whedon.  He has an incredibly loyal fanbase, but it has always been fairly small.  If this is anywhere near as good as it looks, will this open up avenues for him doing other big films?  Or will it just be chalked up to it being the Avengers and not affect him?
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:55:17 AM »

If this is anywhere near as good as it looks, will this open up avenues for him doing other big films? 

I am not sure but I might be more excited by his low budget rendition of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.

It was filmed at his house in Calif. and now that I see the cast (hello Nathan!!!!!), I really cannot wait. ;)
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:59:11 PM »

So excited, I just got my ticket to the midnight showing on Thursday since I took Friday off.

Also very excited about Much Ado About Nothing.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »

So excited, I just got my ticket to the midnight showing on Thursday since I took Friday off.
i was wondering who was going to the midnight show.....that's even more hardcore than fanboy friday.
got my ticket for friday at 1pm.....first time i've ever pre-bought a movie ticket. i actually took off half the work day because the more i thought about it, saturday and sunday will be filled with kids.

truth be told, friday probably will be too.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 05:51:11 PM »

what a great experience!
i have heard that audiences applaud at the ends of movies sometimes but never witnessed it until today.

i'll chime back in after more here see it....
plus, i'm still wrapping my mind around it....but suffice it to say this scratched a big 'ole itch.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »

When Spiderman came out a few years, I didn't get the high praise it was given. Sure, it was entertaining, but I was rather meh about it. I liked Iron Man better, so that's the one I actually went out and bought on DVD.

The Avengers, on the other hand, was awesome! I had started to read responses from friends who had seen it, and it was all positive. I still wanted to keep my expectations from being sky high, but I don't think I would have been disappointed even if I had.

While hopefully you've seen it before reading the thread, just in case...
While the story itself wasn't necessarily revolutionary (like an Inception), it didn't need to be for this movie. The dialogue was well done, and Joss knew exactly when to break the tension with a quip. There were so many great lines - especially from Stark (Capsicle, His first name is agent, Legolas, etc.). I had seen all the prequels (as I think of the individual character movies) except for The Incredible Hulk or Hulk, and I was really impressed how The Avengers worked as an installment in each of the series, bridging the somewhat disparate Iron Man films and Thor. I can't find a common element other than Stan Lee and the studio across the films, so is that who is coordinating the big picture? The audience was definitely into it, with appropriate laughter and even applause at "puny god". I can't think of the last time I heard people cheer during a movie.

I also enjoyed the cinematography. There were some great shots in NYC from unexpected views - through the broken back window of a car, inside an office looking at the action on the street that seemed different from other films with that shot, and being aimed at by Hawkeye. I saw it in 3D at the local IMAX (which is actually cheaper than my local multiplex and has reasonably priced concessions). The 3D was well done, and I didn't notice any particular shots that seemed to be done specifically for the 3D effect.

I'll need to see it again to comment on the soundtrack and score. While I know there was one, it was so well incorporated I can't really remember any specific details. If I had been booking the band for the closing song though, I don't think I would have gone with Soundgarden.

I'm looking forward to the next one, which I think will be Iron Man 3.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:06:17 PM by Ella Minnow Pea »
also known as rcc94

Butter

• Probably in the car
  • City Elder
  • Spreadsheets R Us
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »

If they are not signing up the entire cast and Joss for a sequel RIGHT NOW, frankly that's just bad business.  Give them whatever they want.  After this, a sequel will break $300 million opening weekend.  I have never seen an audience so into a movie as this one.  Well, maybe "Star Wars: Episode I"... but that goodwill wore off FAST.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »

i want to see this again NOW.

did anyone hang around until the very end? i mean, the very end??
that was a perfect exclamation point, but i am not going to ruin it.

BTW, the new soundgarden song is fairly boring.  guess that doesn't come as a surprise.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »

did anyone hang around until the very end? i mean, the very end??
Of course! And so did at least half of the theater. Too funny!
also known as rcc94

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 09:27:15 PM »

This is kind of amusing...

Back from hiatus.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 11:23:35 PM »

more stuff
hey! how did i miss this spoiler feature on these boards?
anyway, i agree with what ella says, some of the cinematography certainly stepped outside of the superhero movie genre and elevated the film. the scene where iron man, cap, and thor are standing in the woods (pre or post kicking each other's asses- can't remember), was great with the back lighting of the trees. the lighting of hulk chasing black widow through the corridor of explosions was terrific too.

i think the story had plenty of interesting build-ups...the relationships were just as engaging as the action sequences. the intensity of the simultaneous chaos in the SHIELD aircraft was pretty great too, with widow fighting hawkeye, hulk fighting thor, hulk fighting widow, all while cap and iron man try to maintain flight...that whole sequence was perfect.
i also like how they handled hulk's characteristics....i read where ruffalo said he wanted the CGI guys to own the character as much as he did and the fact that hulk actually resembles him helped create the illusion. ruffalo actually acted all of those hulk scenes out in one of those body suits so the movements are based on his physicality as well, and that level of detail i can really appreciate.

another minor detail i thought was really effective was when the final battle raged on, they had already wasted tens of those "soldiers" an there was this distinct moment where you sense cap's exhaustion, i think they even showed a wound of his, as he stood in the street. there was this distinct sense that they knew they might not win the battle. did you pick up on that? it was stuff like that which is why this film is so much better than it's predecessors. x-men first class managed to do that also, actually tie in relationships between characters you give a damn about.

and yes, when hulk whipped the shit out of loki, people went nuts in my theater! the cheap shot on thor got quite a reaction too.

my one complaint, and it's not a big one, was how fortuitous it was when people were either leaping on or off those soldiers' crafts that were moving so fast. i mean, i realize that is how it works in comics, there is always a flagpole for spiderman to bounce off of, but those effects somehow took me out of the movie ever-so-briefly. it is a strange hang-up, i know, but those felt like cliché moves....or at least they were executed that way

really, the only other thing is i'm kind of over samuel l. jackson. he did a good job, don't get me wrong, but nick fury was always a scruffy white dude with grey sideburns and a cigar when i was growing up, and jackson seems to be the go-to guy anymore for a certain type of role.

it was like when the completely changed the kingpin's character in daredevil. that is not who he is! the cynic in me thinks it is an effort to attract more of a black audience in some way....

in the big picture, that isn't a dealbreaker here.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »

After disusing the movie with va_vacious over the phone tonight, the other thing I'd like to complement the movie on is how well the six characters were balanced. Everyone seemed to have the appropriate amount of screen time.

I would like to see the Black Widow and Hawkeye backstory sometime. Hopefully Jeremy Renner won't be too busy with Bourne and MI.
also known as rcc94
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up