Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ender's Game  (Read 1473 times)

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Ender's Game
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »

There have been talks about making this book into a movie for YEARS. Looks like it's finally happening. They're about halfway through production.

I'd bet good money The Hunger Games were a huge influence in this decision.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan, and I'd love to see how they translate this book to the screen.

enderwiggen.net

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
Re: Ender's Game
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:08:54 AM »

This could be a great movie.  GREAT.  We'll see.
smiley face

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »

Did it say they have a 15 year old actor playing a 10 year old Ender? That sounds...fishy.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:27:26 PM »

Did it say they have a 15 year old actor playing a 10 year old Ender? That sounds...fishy.
It's the scrawny little kid from Hugo, so it could work. We'll see...

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »

Let's hope they don't fuck it up.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 09:54:25 PM »

Let's hope they don't fuck it up.
Who knows? I used to hope Orson Scott Card would be intimately involved so it would stay true to the book, but he's gone off his nut in recent years. It may be better off in the hands of a good director.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »

Standard adaptation, I'd say. They did a so-so job conveying the spirit of the book: Some aspects of the story came through better than others. Butterfield was a decent Ender, and Harrison Ford did better than I expected.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 11:59:51 PM »

I've been on the fence about seeing this. Luisterpaul's lukewarm comments makes me think I'll take a pass on this, and instead go see Gravity again.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 05:40:14 PM »

The trailer was full of dialogue so clichéd it made me wince. It also gave away the fucking ending, presumably robbing the film of any sort of emotional payout for those who haven't read the books. Love the book, but I won't be paying to see the film.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:35:43 AM »

To me, the book was all about the psychological effects of the school and the war games on the kids, kind of like the effects of isolation on the kids in Lord of the Flies.  Does the movie focus on this at all?  Are the war games scenes kickass?  If so, I might consider the big screen.
smiley face

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 12:12:02 PM »

Not sure, but I'll tell you that this was an excellent read:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9909314/ender-game-controversial-author-very-personal-history

Great points and insight--and a decent argument for seeing the movie.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:16:18 PM by Buzzstein »
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 10:43:24 AM »

Well, I saw this. It was... intense? It was pretty true to the source material, given the constraints of film. I also read the book forever ago, so I only remember certain things. But almost all of those things were in the film, so I can't complain. My g/f basically re-wrote one key scene in the car on the way home and I instantly said, "that would have made it a much better film" so I guess there were certain flaws, too. However, I liked it. I can't say I liked it enough that I will recommend it to anyone except fans of outer space sci-fi stories and fans of the book. But for them? It was excellent.

Homsar: yes, the movie certainly focuses on the psychological effects of war on kids...er, well, on Ender at least. Not much on anyone else.

The actors were mostly good. I thought Viola Davis and Harrison Ford were particularly stiff in some of the early scenes, but later they were definitely good. In fact, I know this isn't possible, but it was almost as if Harrison Ford remembered how to act the further into filming they got. It felt like it even if I know they shoot scenes out of order. Maybe he just had bad digestion for a couple of days when they were filming certain scenes or something.  The kids were all great. Hailee Steinfeld really was impressive, and some of the lesser names playing roles of bullies or similar were all very convincing.

It's tough. I wanted to like it, so I did. I am not sure how much bias this gave me. The scenes in the battle room were good, and considering that I had just scene Gravity I'll say that I felt like more of an expert in zero-G than the kids were initially, which was amusing.

In the end I think it'll go down as another movie and that's that. Not great and certainly not horrible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up