Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: beach house- bloom  (Read 2265 times)

twentyshots

• City Elder
beach house- bloom
« on: May 20, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »

can't say i have had beach house on my radar before a couple of years ago (i think gila was the first real song i remember), but this latest seems fairly congruent with their past catalogue.
it's lush and pleasing and, if anything, maybe slightly more refined than the last couple. there are no hard edges, just all velvet and breathy.

by the same token, and perhaps to the dislike of some, nothing branches out in dramatic fashion, except maybe myth, which is an excellent song.
i say all of this from the standpoint that i do like the consistency of the album. it stays true to form and never loses it's appeal and i can see it growing on me as i suss out the nuances. the band the cranes come to mind, something you put on and just enjoy with or without full attention. in that regard, there isn't much to say about it....other than i like it but do not love it.

finally, i don't get the appeal of secret songs anymore....and there is one tacked on the end of irene, a 16 minute song that stops after 6 minutes, so you know something is up.

i guess back in the day when you played a CD, hearing something crank back up 5 minutes after you thought it was over was kind of a surprise. but now when you can more easily control, and SEE where a progress bar is, i just don't get it.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:58:34 PM by twentyshots »
bongo hard or bongo home

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
Re: beach house- bloom
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:24:02 AM »

I really enjoyed this album the few times I gave it a spin on Luisterpaal.

I too do not understand secret tracks. In fact, even in my car, if something didn't happen in about a minute, I hit the FF button. Sorry, I don't have time for something that may be worth the wait.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »

Haven't had a chance yet to listen to the new album, but I like their previous output. And their set at Coachella a few years ago (I'm thinking 2010) was one of the highlights for me at the festival that year.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »

Back in '95 a friend and I put out a Cincinnati compilation of local bands. The secret track thing was on every album back then so to make fun of it I put two songs on one track number in the middle of the disc and listed it as "The Obligatory Secret Hidden Song". I haven't heard of anybody else putting the secret song in the middle of the album.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:39:59 PM »

After multiple listens I'm really enjoying this album. Is anybody thinking about going to Columbus to see them?

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 12:59:27 PM »

Back in '95 a friend and I put out a Cincinnati compilation of local bands. The secret track thing was on every album back then so to make fun of it I put two songs on one track number in the middle of the disc and listed it as "The Obligatory Secret Hidden Song". I haven't heard of anybody else putting the secret song in the middle of the album.

Deary Me?  If so, I've got of good memories of that record/scene.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:52:50 PM »

I think I have some of those comps.  I can't recall who was on any of them other than Chalk, maybe?  I really hated Chalk though (sorry).  Ass Ponys?  I can't recall...

Readymaid had a hidden track in the middle of This View Should Never Change... I forget how they did it... it seems like it was tacked onto the beginning of the next track but you could only get to it by listening or fast forwarding the song before.  Something like that.  Very weird.  The track was weird too, a bunch of jazzy noodling with distorted learn to speak Mandarin recordings underneath.  Something Snell dreamed up while sitting on the toilet, no doubt.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:00:16 PM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »

I just worked on the first two. We had a good time.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »

After multiple listens I'm really enjoying this album.
Been listening to it the last 2 weeks. It's good. More ambitious and grander in soundscape than any of the previous albums.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Fourthisto

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 03:58:07 PM »

So, what's everyone doing on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 ?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »

I'll probably get up... eat a couple of meals... take a shit... go to bed.  Other than that, I don't know.  Why do you ask?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »

Yess! Nice! That'll be almost 3 years to the date that I saw them at Coachella. Hard to believe.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »

finalizing my deport fourthisto papers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up