Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ∆ - Awesome Wave  (Read 1655 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
∆ - Awesome Wave
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:56:52 PM »

Anyone else heard this yet?  ∆ is pronounced and often written "alt-j."

It's hard to describe the sound.  It's like audio snippet samples plus some gibberish chanty stuff plus some messed-up bedroom folktronic/chillwave vocals plus some heavy rhythm vibes and just weird stuff going on.  Maybe toss in a touch of Sigur Ros.

I'll be upfront and say this drives me bat shit crazy after about one song.  At the same time, there's something about it that draws you in.  There's something going on here.  It's not just goofy noises for goofy noise sake.  It deserves to be heard by those can better appreciate.  I think the more experimental among you guys who like Battles, Django Django, Animal Collective and the like would totally love this.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: ∆ - Awesome Wave
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:53:26 AM »

I had put one of their (his?) songs on my spotify playlist, but it disappeared from spotify a few days later. It was weird and fun, just like you say.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:48:34 AM »

How the hell is the "delta" symbol pronounced "alt-j"?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »

If you do alt-j on a Mac, you get a delta symbol.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »

So I've listened to this a few times, and it's just not working for me anymore. It's all weird and quirky, but somehow monotonous.

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »

So I've listened to this a few times, and it's just not working for me anymore. It's all weird and quirky, but somehow monotonous.

Honestly, I couldn't believe they won the Mercury prize. Richard Hawley's album was 1000x better than any of their singles I have heard.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »

Honestly, I couldn't believe they won the Mercury prize. Richard Hawley's album was 1000x better than any of their singles I have heard.
I think Alt-J had the best marketing team -- the hype was ridiculous. Django Django and Lianne La Havas' albums were both way better.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 03:05:46 PM »

I think it is a great album and wasn't surprised at all that they won the Mercury.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »

It is a good album, I just don't think it was the best of those contenders. I think it's going to fade into obscurity quite quickly.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »

It is a good album, I just don't think it was the best of those contenders. I think it's going to fade into obscurity quite quickly.

I agree. I enjoyed it for a short time, but it doesn't have a lot of legs after a couple of listens. I'm sure they're nice lads, but it's a bit naff once you get used to the album.
Am Meer

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »

i'm still giving this tons of spins.

good stuff.

bluebastard

• City Elder
  • No more Wilco
    • portfolio
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »

Alt-J is part of the emerging vaporwave phenomenon despite having little to do with the weirder (and more identifiable elements of the genre). Have fun with that as a genre name.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:19:21 PM by bluebastard »

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 12:45:18 PM »

I was very surprised by how much I liked this album right away. I didn't particularly like Fitzpleasure which was the only tune I heard previously, but I decided to give the album a try and I'm glad I did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up