Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revisiting the woxy.com Albums of the Year  (Read 1648 times)

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Revisiting the woxy.com Albums of the Year
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:21:24 AM »

Since spectre's Kickstarter thing fell through (sadly), I thought it might be interesting to go back and see if the AoY from years past on the woxy boards still hold up today.

I got this idea from Bill Simmons's idea that the Oscar votes for Best Picture should come three or four years later, because usually the best films of a particular year aren't revealed until then.  His main example was Forrest Gump winning in 1995, but it should have been either Pulp Fiction or Shawshank Redemption.  At the very least, it's kind of interesting, and since my child and wife are asleep and I am not, let's give it a try for a couple of years.

This thread will cover the years 2004-2008 on the boards because I feel enough time has passed to give the albums historical context, and for bands to at least put out one record since their win (or lack thereof).  I'm only going to review the top 5 for a particular year plus albums that should have made the top 5.  That part will be my opinion, solely because well...I put the list together.  :p  Feel free to add your own comments and thoughts.

I feel very lucky I was able to nab the lists for each year before the boards went down.  Hope this thread is interesting for you!  We'll start with 2004 in a minute.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Re: Revisiting the woxy.com Albums of the Year
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:35:41 AM »

3.  Modest Mouse - Iforgotthenameoftherecord (To be edited later)
2.  The Arcade Fire - Funeral
1.  Franz Ferdinand - s/t

Disclaimer:  This is from memory because this is the one year I forgot to grab the list so we're only doing the top 3.

You remember my last post about the Simmons thing?  Case in point.  I'm not saying FF's debut isn't good, but this might be the upset of the decade.  If I remember correctly, the buzz around 'Funeral' didn't really pick up until early 2005, so that would explain mostly why AF didn't take the prize.  The Modest Mouse record is kind of the same thing as FF.  It was an album full of catchy songs and radio hits, but it doesn't pack the emotional depth of 'Funeral.'  Not then, not now.  

Are there any records that deserve to be in the top 3?  I would argue for Loretta Lynn's 'Van Lear Rose.'  That's a classic album that not a lot of people voted for.  It holds up just as well today because it's a collection of great songs and does not sound dated one bit.  Look at woxy's other albums in the top 10 that year:  Wilco, Interpol, The Futureheads, TV on the Radio, Morrissey, PInback and Ted Leo .  'Van Lear Rose' was #30.  THIRTY!!! I don't think any of those are as good as 'Van Lear Rose' today.  

My revised list:

1.  The Arcade Fire - Funeral
2.  Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose
3.  Franz Ferdinand - s/t
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:48:48 AM by Nate »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »

I'm okay with that top 3, actually.  I think if you look back in another 8 years, Arcade Fire will be regarded as having been over-hyped.  I think quite a few people are sick of them already, plus I feel like good, catchy pop stuff usually stands the test of time better than sprawling mood pieces.

You listen to music at malls or at bars or whatever-- I never hear Arcade Fire anymore.  Not even the NFL song.  I still hear "Take Me Out" and "Float On" with surprising frequency.

That's not to knock Funeral.  A good case could be made for that being number one.  I'm just saying I don't think it's a travesty that FF won.  That is still a very good album.  It's not as "deep" as Arcade Fire, but that's okay. 

For sheer artistic merit, TV on the Radio could be in the top 3 easily.  The Libertines is probably my personal favorite record from that year.  I think Hot Fuss is good album with lots of mass appeal.  And Kanye West's The College Dropout may eclipse everything in terms of critical acclaim, pop culture impact, and being somewhat accessible.  Looking back on it, I think there's too much filler on it and I think Monster took him to a whole 'nother level.  But still, it would be kind of hard for me to argue that The College Dropout isn't at a minimum in the Top 5.

Van Lear Rose is a tough one.  I think it's over-rated in the sense that because of Jack White it has all this indie appeal and suddenly she was hot shit.  To me, Loretta Lynn has a bunch of great albums.  Is this really better than Coal Miner's Daughter?  I don't think so.  But then, on the other hand, you can't punish her just because this isn't her best work.  Maybe she just has 5 or 6 albums that should all be considered the best from their respective years.  Still, in the end I think top 3 or even top 10 is pushing it.  But I can easily accept the viewpoint that #30 is too low.  Maybe somewhere in the teens.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:58:54 AM »

As far as albums in that scope, I still really like Blueberry Boat a lot.  I know there was a bit of a backlash of it not aging well for some people, which I can understand, but I actually think it holds up really well (their other material, not so much, all I really need is this album and 3-4 tracks from EP).

Three of my favorite active bands released what I think are their best albums in 2004 - Wilco, Dungen, and The Walkmen.  The fact that the latter shockingly ended up nearly topping Bows + Arrows several years later with You & Me puts a bit of a damper on the enthusiasm I once had for B+A, but it's still a really great album.  Of course, the album itself didn't really get their due at the time because there was a lot of obsession over the single, which people tend to forget was pretty big in the indie world at the time.  Ta Det Lugnt was one I didn't discover until the past few years, and it has undoubtedly become one of my favorites of the decade (plus the only other time the band approached that kind of brilliance was a handful of tracks on 4).  And finally, Ghost is my favorite Wilco, and it probably somewhere in my all-time top fifty or so.  I absolutely love the O'Rourke production on it including Tweedy's new guitar leads.

There was also Sonic Nurse that year, which I still like a lot.  AC's Sung Tongs as well, though despite having two of their best songs (Leaf House and Who Could Win A Rabbit), it's a shade below their (two) very best records.  Elsewhere, Califone's impressive debut is the only other that comes to mind off the top of my head.

In the case of the MM album being no. 1, I can't help but think that that's a pretty lazy choice.  I've never been a huge fan of theirs, but there was a time when I once appreciated The Moon & Antarctica and the early material.  This record isn't in the same league of those, and honestly FWIW, I doubt many other blog/site top ten lists had this that high.  Yeah, the singles were pretty impressive for what they were (there was Ocean Breathes Salty as well), and the way they quickly leaked into the mainstream was definiely a sight to see, but I don't think this has any business approaching that high of a list.

Re: Funeral. Culturally, this had more to do with the rise of Pitchfork's tastemaker influence, really. Yeah, them giving perfect scores to the likes of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Kid A certainly had an influence to already well established artists, but this was the big one that launched the P4K empire.  The near-perfect score that gave to this unheard of band is what created the hype and make the rest of the media take notice.  Remember what the landscape was like the following few years?  Trying to create repeat successes with MOR buzz band like Tapes 'n Tapes and CYHSY.  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:06:09 PM by cyclone »
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:01:05 PM »

You purposely picked a year with no Decemberists album, didn't you?! :laugh:

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »

I selected my 12 favorite albums of 2004 and tagged them on last.fm. Of those 12, ones that still get played regularly are Franz Ferdinand and Hot Fuss (which is actually my fifth most listened to album that's been scrobbled). Bows + Arrows didn't get tagged, but it's now a top 10 scrobbled album. (Albums weren't scrobbled for at the beginning, and it doesn't count when I listed to the CD.)

However, the album that I've listened to the most is the debut by Old Crow Medicine Show, which lives in my car. I just never get tired of it. It made my top 12, but didn't appear on the woxy list.

So my personal list has changed, but not by much.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:12:20 PM by Ella Minnow Pea »
also known as rcc94

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 04:15:24 PM »

...s the debut by Old Crow Medicine Show, which lives in my car....

That must be cozy!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:51:22 PM »

My top 3 albums for 2004 were:

1. Absolution - Muse   
2. Now Here Is Nowhere - Secret Machines 
3. Pawn Shoppe Heart - The Von Bondies

I think I'll stand by those choices.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 11:11:47 AM »

not sure i was even keeping lists at that point in any "official" way, so it would take some work to see what all was out there. of the three you mentioned though, arcade fire would be #1.

that modest mouse album irritated me from the beginning so it wouldn't even be on my list. franz......not sure...doubt it would crack my top ten.

of the others mentioned, wilco, interpol, tv on the radio and secret machines would do well.

i probably listened to pinback and the walkmen the most that year......

Wilco, Interpol, The Futureheads, TV on the Radio, Morrissey, PInback and Ted Leo
bongo hard or bongo home

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 01:32:12 AM »

Hey guys, the rest of the entries will come later this week.  My wife and I have to go to our vet tomorrow to put one of our pets to sleep, and so I'm not going to be in the mood to do this for a while.  My apologies.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 07:12:37 AM »

No worries Nate. Do you what ya gotta do.

As for me, I still rate Funeral as the best album of the Aughts, so I'm going to suggest that it should be number 1. I still love me some Franz Ferdinand as well, although not nearly as much as I loved it in 2004.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 11:38:47 PM »

For those not on Facebook, I posted the 2008 list. For your consideration:

97. We Are Scientists - Brain Thrust Mastery
96. Shearwater - Rook
95. DeVotchka - A Mad And Faithful Telling
94. De Novo Dahl - Move Every Muscle, Make Every Sound
93. The Presets - Apocalypso
92. CSS - Donkey
91. The Duke Spirit - Neptune

90. Why? - Alopecia
89. Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amanda Palmer
88. Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling
87. Crystal Castles - s/t
86. Does It Offend You, Yeah? - You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into

85. Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
84. Dungen - 4thisto Roolz
83. The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age Of The Understatement
82. Black Mountain - In The Future
81. Hercules And Love Affair - s/t

80. Cat Power - Jukebox
79. Sons And Daughters - This Gift
78. Margot & The Nuclear So and Sos - Not Animal!
77. Tapes n' Tapes - Walk It Off
76. Lykke Li - Youth Novels

75. Sun Kil Moon - April
74. The Dears - Missiles
73. Man Man - Rabbit Habits
72. Flight Of The Conchords - s/t
71. Dept. Of Eagles - In Ear Park

70. The Black Angels - Directions To See A Ghost
69. Delta Spirit - Ode To Sunshine
68. Conor Oberst - s/t
67. Born Ruffians - Red, Yellow & Blue
66. Constantines - Kensington Heights

65. Parts & Labor - Receivers
64. Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul
63. The Stills - Oceans Will Rise
62. Tilly And The Wall - o
61. Mates Of State - Re-Arrange Us

60. Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Real Emotional Trash
59. Calexico - Carried To Dust
58. Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell
57. The Magnetic Fields - Distortion
56. Bound Stems - The Family Afloat

55. The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride
54. Thao with The Get Down Stay Down - We Brave Bee Stings And All
53. The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
52. Bloc Party - Intimacy
51. The Dodos - Visiter

50. She And Him - Volume One
49. Spiritualized - Songs in A&E
48. Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
47. Jukebox The Ghost - Let Live & Let Ghosts
46. Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping

45. Islands - Arm's Way
44. The Whigs - Mission Control
43. Mason Proper - Olly Oxen Free
42. The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely
41. Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster

40. No Age - Nouns (551 points, 16 votes)
39. Foals - Antidotes (566 points, 16 votes, 1 #1 vote)
38. Beck - Modern Guilt (567 points, 21 votes)
37. The Helio Sequence - Keep Your Eyes Ahead (581 points, 16 votes, 1 #1 vote)
36. Nada Surf - Lucky (610 points, 19 votes, 1 #1 vote)

35. Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night (622 points, 21 votes)
34. Blitzen Trapper - Furr (630 points, 18 votes, 1 #1 vote)
33. Dr. Dog - Fate (633 points, 17 votes, 1 #1 vote)
32. The Kills - Midnight Boom (640 points, 15 votes, 2 #1 votes)
31. Girl Talk - Feed The Animals (662 points, 18 votes)

30. The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing (672 points, 21 votes)
29. Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs (672 points, 22 votes, 1 #1 vote)
28. Cloud Cult - Feel Good Ghosts (Tea-Partying Through Tornadoes) (677 points, 18 votes, 1 #1 vote)
27. Ladytron - Velocifero (682 points, 20 votes)
26. Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends (683 points, 20 votes)

25. R.E.M. - Accelerate (698 points, 19 votes, 1 #1 vote)
24. Santogold - s/t (725 points, 21 votes)
23. Hot Chip - Made In The Dark (733 points, 23 votes)
22. Deerhunter - Microcastle (743 points, 18 votes, 1 #1 vote)
21. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (750 points, 21 votes)

20. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive 784 points 24 votes
19. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! (809 points, 24 votes, 2 #1 votes)
18. The Raveonettes - Lust Lust Lust (907 points, 24 votes, 2 #1 votes)
17. Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight (954 points, 24 votes, 6 #1 votes)
16. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular (989 points, 29 votes, 1 #1 vote)

15. The Walkmen - You And Me (997 points, 24 votes, 2 #1 votes)
14. The Black Keys - Attack & Release (1013 points, 27 votes, 1 #1 vote)
13. Sigur Rs - me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust (1074 points, 29 votes, 1 #1 vote)
12. Portishead - Third (1076 points, 29 votes, 2 #1 votes)
11. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (1119 points, 31 votes)

10. Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid (1126 points, 28 votes, 2 #1 votes)
9. M83 - Saturdays=Youth (1168 points, 30 votes, 2 #1 votes)
8. Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins (1191 points, 37 votes)
7. Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer (1214 points, 33 votes, 1 #1 vote)
6. British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music? (1239 points, 33 votes, 1 #1 vote)

5. Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line (1394 points, 35 votes, 5 #1 votes)
4. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours (1503 pts, 36 votes, 3 #1 votes)
3. Fleet Foxes - s/t (1769 points, 47 points, 4 #1 votes)
2. TV On The Radio - Dear Science (2018 points, 48 votes, 12 #1 votes)
1. Vampire Weekend - s/t (2315 points, 56 votes, 4 #1 votes)
also known as rcc94

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 01:45:55 AM »

Hey guys, the rest of the entries will come later this week.  My wife and I have to go to our vet tomorrow to put one of our pets to sleep, and so I'm not going to be in the mood to do this for a while.  My apologies.
why, shame on you! That is more important than filing your "best of" for our entertainment? <rolling eyes>
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures
Pages: [1]   Go Up