Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Challenge: Solving 'impossible' problems  (Read 7235 times)

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Re: Challenge: Solving 'impossible' problems
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »

I've probably gone about this completely the wrong way, but here's how I've narrowed it down:
I'm sure that is all completely wrong  ;D
So close! Just one floor off!
also known as rcc94

juggles

• Tourist
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 08:18:21 AM »

I've probably gone about this completely the wrong way, but here's how I've narrowed it down:

PZU (building in background) is Powszechny Zakład Ubezpieczeń and TP is Telekomunikacja Polska, both Polish companies based in Warsaw. Messing around with Google Streetview leads me to believe the photo was taken from the Warsaw Financial Centre, so the office must be one of these. The building front-right is 12 storeys tall, but the bottom storey of the WFC is quite tall, so I would guess the photo was taken from the 11th floor, which is occupied by the Regus Business Centre. Telephone number from regus.com: +48 (0) 22 528 6700.

I'm sure that is all completely wrong  ;D
So it's not in Singapore. I was way off.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »

In none of the explanations I read did anyone explain how they *knew* what floor it was.  Seemed like it was guessed only from the occupant of that floor.  Maybe I didn't read far enough.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »

In none of the explanations I read did anyone explain how they *knew* what floor it was.  Seemed like it was guessed only from the occupant of that floor.  Maybe I didn't read far enough.
It looked like people knew because of the challenge setter's employer, which is kind of cheating. I'd like to see someone do it by trigonometric means!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 10:34:31 AM »

The way the challenge was framed elsewhere, the scenario was that you had woken up in this room with amnesia.  How does knowing who set the challenge help that person?  I agree... cheating.  Not as blatant as what I did, but still.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 11:16:07 AM »

I don't understand your problem.

You can see it a "Goo.." in the photograph reflected from the window.  I suppose it's possible someone jimmied up that reflection, or maybe some random person in a different floor has a google sign in their office, or maybe the guy's name is Goog and he has a neon sign with his last name.  But it's pretty reasonable to assume it's the Google office.

When I did it, I started with the approach that there had to be some kind of giveaway.  Then I figured why is there this crap in the photograph instead of a nice, clean one.  Has to be there for a reason.  Then when I saw it said "goo.." I was like, yeah it has to be google because that's something easy to find on the internet.  And I worked from there.

That is cheesy because it takes advantage of me knowing its a quiz. Like a multiple choice math test where you can't solve the equation like you are supposed to, but you just look at the answers and plug them in and find the choice by process of elimination.  Maybe not straight up cheating, but cheesy.

Ella's approach was totally legit.  She looked at different things in the photographs for clues.  She used those clues to narrow down possible locations.  She then used the narrowed list of possibilities to help her look for more clues.  Then repeated that process until she got to the answer.  She solved the problem in a way that works without knowing that the problem is solveable in ten minutes on the internet as part of a silly quiz.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:19:15 AM by Zafer Kaya »

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 11:49:39 AM »

I saw the reflection but didn't get what it was (It's a schooner!).  That makes sense.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »

I don't understand your problem.

You can see it a "Goo.." in the photograph reflected from the window.  I suppose it's possible someone jimmied up that reflection, or maybe some random person in a different floor has a google sign in their office, or maybe the guy's name is Goog and he has a neon sign with his last name.  But it's pretty reasonable to assume it's the Google office.

When I did it, I started with the approach that there had to be some kind of giveaway.  Then I figured why is there this crap in the photograph instead of a nice, clean one.  Has to be there for a reason.  Then when I saw it said "goo.." I was like, yeah it has to be google because that's something easy to find on the internet.  And I worked from there.

That is cheesy because it takes advantage of me knowing its a quiz. Like a multiple choice math test where you can't solve the equation like you are supposed to, but you just look at the answers and plug them in and find the choice by process of elimination.  Maybe not straight up cheating, but cheesy.

Ella's approach was totally legit.  She looked at different things in the photographs for clues.  She used those clues to narrow down possible locations.  She then used the narrowed list of possibilities to help her look for more clues.  Then repeated that process until she got to the answer.  She solved the problem in a way that works without knowing that the problem is solveable in ten minutes on the internet as part of a silly quiz.

I did exactly what Ella did, which is one of the reasons it took me 40 minutes instead of 10.
The other reason was I couldn't get the correct angle of the building using Google Maps, so I downloaded Google Earth and flew around until I got the correct angle. Then I turned to see what building I was looking at, and went from there.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »

I managed to do it in about 15 minutes, although I unfortunately didn't check my start time, so it may have been under 10 minutes. I'm very much a visual and logic puzzle fanatic, so this quiz is perfect for me. I fail at song lyric quizzes and may have only ever known one during Butter's challenges.
Using Google maps' new 45 degree view, I counted the number of floors in the building in the right foreground and got 12. As the photo showed that building's roof, I looked at the tenants in the 10-20 floor range. That's when I figured out there had to be a clue in the picture and finally looked closely at the reflected logo to select Google from the list (which had all the tenants' logos and I was getting ready to compare each of them to the reflection).
also known as rcc94

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »

Ella, you've missed your calling. You should be working in investigations! Well done!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »

Interesting to read the thought processes, my problem is always one of where to start and in this case the way I started off led me directly to the answer in another blog.  I should have ignored it and gone on... maybe I'd have figured it out as well.

juggles

• Tourist
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 03:23:40 PM »

I think my method would have worked but my initial search got me on a false lead that had me looking all over Singapore. Hope I'm not giving away too much by letting on that it's not in Singapore.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »

Other places it's not (SPOILER ALERT!):

Djibouti
Timor-Leste
Norwood
Mars
The Arctic
My dong

Hopefully I am also not spoiling it for anyone.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »

Ella, you've missed your calling. You should be working in investigations! Well done!
Don't encourage her! Do you have any idea how bad road trips are with her when she wants to play games?!?

Yeah, I'm useless at this sort of puzzle.

juggles

• Tourist
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 07:00:20 PM »

Other places it's not (SPOILER ALERT!):

Djibouti
Timor-Leste
Norwood
Mars
The Arctic
My dong

Hopefully I am also not spoiling it for anyone.

So glad I saw this before plugging "Butter's Dong" in Google Earth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up