Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 2118 times)

Bubba McBubba

• Citizen
    • Place Logo Here
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 09:28:47 PM »

And I actually thought that the Matthew Modine (I had to look up who that was, I see about 2 mainstream films a year) character was one of the low points of the movie. 

Just to clarify: Modine's is one of the characters I would cut from the movie

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 11:25:59 PM »

Ah, I guess I just saw the "things I liked" line and jumped to the list.  I was flabbergasted at how anyone could have praised that character by any means.

The more I think about it, I just think the climax/ending of this trilogy would have been so much more satisfying with a different rogue choice.  Even if Nolan wanted to still follow a (loose) Knightfall arc storyline.  Not only did I find it dull initially, but I can't imagine it will age well in retrospect years later.  Those were my same thoughts when initially hearing about the character choice as well.  I would have preferred something out of left field like Hugo Strange or Black Mask rather than a repeat villain from the 90s movies, even Nolan's versions of them (remember the Depp as The Riddler rumors after TDK?).  I suppose since Nolan's Batman character is so much different than the mega-genius that can't be outmatched in the comics, the idea of bringing in a better trained villain leading to the predictable storyline, but still.  They pulled off Bane about as well as I could have imagined and I was still really bored with the character, which I guess is really the point.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 05:18:45 AM »

I would have preferred something out of left field like Hugo Strange or Black Mask rather than a repeat villain from the 90s movies, even Nolan's versions of them (remember the Depp as The Riddler rumors after TDK?).
Interestingly, in the Arkham City game Hugo Strange essentially plays the same role as Bane in TDKR: working for Ra's al Ghul/the League of Shadows to destroy Gotham's "evil" populace.

I liked Tom Hardy's portrayal of Bane. It was certainly a huge improvement from the 90s films, in that he was sinister and intelligent rather than a drug-crazed brute.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 02:12:54 AM »

So I finally saw it tonight. The past month has just been busy! So not a full crowd at the IMAX, but I experienced my first talkers during a movie in a while. Luckily most of the movie is really loud, so I didn't have to hear them too much. Strangely, the noise did not keep the woman two seats over from laying down in her boyfriend's lap and maybe going to sleep? I really didn't want to look too closely, but I don't think any lewd acts were occurring in the middle of the theater.

I loved the cameo of Dr. Crane as the sentencer. The specks of grey in his stubble were quite attractive. I really liked both Anne Hathway and JGL, as well. On the other hand, there were definitely scenes that could be cut. The one that really didn't flow for me was the discussion on the staircase between Wayne and Alfred. In fact, I don't know if I really got any of their scenes.

I was also somewhat annoyed by the supposed ages among the characters. Tom Hardy is two years younger than Marion Cotillard, so how could he have been her rescuer? And Christian Bale is only 7 years older than JLG, but I guess he could have been 23 when he showed up at the boy's home. I know that real ages aren't a fact, but still! (Plus I'm feeling my age, as I'm older than all of them!)

For those who didn't see my post on Facebook, I really love this meme (from one of my favorite 90s teen movies).

I'm glad I saw it in the theater, but it's not the top film of the year for me. I also don't see it getting an Oscar nomination.
also known as rcc94

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 12:01:23 AM »

I also don't see it getting an Oscar nomination.
It doesn't deserve one, but I'm afraid that after overlooking the much better "The Dark Knight", the Hollywood voting crowd will overcompensate and give this a Best Picture nomination.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »

The Dark Knight Falls would have been a better title, IMO.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up