Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you craving right now?  (Read 7797 times)

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
Re: What are you craving right now?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »

M word? Which one? Mudflap? Motion detector? Mulligatawny?

Oh wait, now I remember...

panties

HAHAHAHAHAHA.
You want that GSPoTD taken away, Dude?

you cannot be a gold star type of guy.... oh, wait. i get it now.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 07:54:28 AM »

Red Ribbon Chicken Empanada (Filipino style!)

IT'S IN MY BELLY!!!!!!!!!!!! Best surprise treat ever!
Whoa! Has it really been over a year since I've had one of these. Jeeebus. Eating one today (my co-worker visited family in LA and brought one to me) and I'm all teary eyed. SO GOOD.
Eating another Red Ribbon Chicken Empanada. Two in one year. YAAAAAAAAAAAS!

And another one!!!! I can't believe it has almost been a year since my last one.
DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLING with anticipation of eating this thing.
And another one!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you, Virgil's family, for coming into town for Thanksgiving!
He tossed the thing on my desk and said, "Hey. Here's your cut." (Please don't FTFY this post, Villians)

I think the only thing left in this world that could truly break me would be for me to find out that these things are made from puppies or something. It would break me because I don't know if I'd stop eating them if he told me that and then offered me a case of them.
And another one!!!!!!!!!!!!
Virgil brought in one for me and gave one to another co-worker. I am giving the other co-worker the evil eye, telling her that if she tries it and doesn't like it, she needs to give it to me IMMEDIATELY.

Did you ever go there, Dan?
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »

I've been in there, but I didn't get the Chicken Empanada. I couldn't remember what to get, but now I will and I'll go back. It's kinda near my apt.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »

white russians
poach eggs, not elephants

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »

Red Ribbon Chicken Empanada (Filipino style!)

IT'S IN MY BELLY!!!!!!!!!!!! Best surprise treat ever!
Whoa! Has it really been over a year since I've had one of these. Jeeebus. Eating one today (my co-worker visited family in LA and brought one to me) and I'm all teary eyed. SO GOOD.
Eating another Red Ribbon Chicken Empanada. Two in one year. YAAAAAAAAAAAS!

And another one!!!! I can't believe it has almost been a year since my last one.
DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLING with anticipation of eating this thing.
And another one!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you, Virgil's family, for coming into town for Thanksgiving!
He tossed the thing on my desk and said, "Hey. Here's your cut." (Please don't FTFY this post, Villians)

I think the only thing left in this world that could truly break me would be for me to find out that these things are made from puppies or something. It would break me because I don't know if I'd stop eating them if he told me that and then offered me a case of them.
And another one!!!!!!!!!!!!
Virgil brought in one for me and gave one to another co-worker. I am giving the other co-worker the evil eye, telling her that if she tries it and doesn't like it, she needs to give it to me IMMEDIATELY.

By the way, this empanada in May 2018 was probably the last Red Ribbon chicken empanada that I will ever eat.

Virgil retired.  :'( :'( :'(

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »

Come visit me. We'll walk over to Red Ribbon.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2019, 01:44:17 PM »

Come visit me. We'll walk over to Red Ribbon.

WORTH.THE.FLIGHT.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »

There was a pedestrian fatality at this intersection on 11/29 and we've been assigned to review the intersection. I'll probably think of you every time we work on this over the next few months/years.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2019, 03:29:44 AM »

Wow, you guys actually do something about pedestrian fatalities in the big city?  That’s good.

Around here we just wait until five people die in the same intersection as the city stencils in a smudgy bike or random lines or some other decipherable symbol figures that somehow fixes it.

Every couple years we have a public discussion attended by three opposing and equally idiotic groups.  Recreational bikers who insist that they are doing the world I’ve favor by reducing th carbon footprint even though they mostly live on the fringes/suburbs and drive more miles than the folks downtown.  People who live in or near high traffic areas that do not give a shit who lives or dies as long as it does not impact their parking, of which they are convinced that any random minuscule change will take away their parking forever, and people with kids who walk on or by an area that must. Be. Made. Safe. at any cost but who will appoint blow by a school bus or drive 50 through a school zone as long as it isn’t their kids’ buses or schools.

Those meetings are as productive as you’d imagine.  I think they’re the driving force behind the indecipherable symbols.  It’s quite clever if you think about it.  People just interpret them how they want.  “It must mean this is a resident reserved only space!”  “No, it’s a new bike lane!” “It’s a new school crossing!”

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 09:22:12 AM »

Yes, absolutely we try to do something anytime there is a fatality. Unfortunately that's not always possible, but a single fatality is more than enough justification for a project. Sometimes there's a random incident where a driver is in their car, parked on the side of the street, and they somehow are trying to hit the brake pedal but instead hit the gas pedal, jump the curb, and run over three school age students who were walking by on the sidewalk (this really happened). In this case, we cannot do much as the streets are designed properly (good news - they weren't fatalities, just severely injured).

HOWEVER

So much of the city - any city - was designed when we had priorities that were different. Street design in the 1930s or 50s or 70s was all about moving vehicles faster. We know now that high speeds on city streets directly correlates to high pedestrian fatalities. As our priority is now that walking on streets or crossing streets should not equate to losing ones life, we can now go back to all those designs of yesteryear and revisit them. NYC is so big that it's not like we can do this universally throughout the city - we just don't have those resources. But when a fatality happens and there's some suspect street geometries or suspect signal timing or something of that sort...we definitely want to look at it.

Regarding your "three opposing groups", that all sounds very similar.
For a long time in NYC there was this deadlock between these two chicken-or-the-egg statements:
-there aren't bike lanes because there are no bikers
-there are no bikers because there aren't any bike lanes

Eventually someone with enough political will (Mayor Bloomberg) finally said, "we are building bike lanes regardless" and now there are tons of cyclists. So that lesson applied to those groups here, too. Eventually you have to say things like "we know you want your parking spaces, but all research, all statistics, all best-practices shows that if we remove these parking spaces it's safer for everyone. EVERYONE." It's a safety argument and a greater good argument. It doesn't always work out, but things are trending in the right direction.

Side thought: we get a lot of complaints about cyclist behavior. What I'm starting to hear embedded in those complaints more and more is that the poorly behaving cyclists aren't really the recreational bikers in spandex, but more like the delivery cyclists. And as a recreational biker or a commute-to-work biker, I fall into that category, so I'm happy to hear it. But then I wonder, is this coded racism? Or unconscious class-ism?

Back on topic - yes, every street fatality in NYC is taken very seriously and reviewed by a LOT of people, from the top to the bottom of the hierarchy.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2019, 08:19:07 PM »

On a moral level, I side with cyclists.  They pay taxes for the roads, they should get some use of the roads.  They  forget that drivers pay taxes, too, but whatever.  Also, it’s good fitness and even if you cycle as a hobby, it’s still a been hobby that is better than say, growing a lawn and gardening and watering that shit three times a day.

The roads here are extremely dangerous for cyclists.  I have a bike and never ride it for this reason.  We also have awful laws where there is no involuntary or vehicular homicide unless it’s DUI.  So if someone is texting or driving 20 mph over the speed limit or otherwise behaving like an idiot and they kill a cyclist, the worst they get is a felony reckless and a 1 year suspended sentence.

But as a practical matter, I vote against cyclists constantly.  I hate them.  It mostly comes down to their unseeable belief that cycling is a fundamental right.  Sorry, it’s not.  I want more and better bike lanes.  But I also want less kids getting shot.  I want pedestrians to be safe.  And public transportation.  Those are all somewhat infrastructure-related. 

Usually it breaks down like this.  The cyclists piss and moan about wanting a bike lane.  This bring a hugely liberal city and increasingly elite liberal, that’s not a problem.  Then they ask the biking orgs where to put the lanes.  The bikers tell them where they ride.  They demand lanes there.

Here’s the thing.  The bike lanes should be put where they do the most good. Not where the most people are riding.  Instead of asking bikers where they bike, you should ask non-bikers where they would bike if there were a lane.  Or where they would not mind there being a bike lane. If you want cars off the road and safer cycling focus on the source of the problem which is drivers.

But the cyclists hate drivers and don’t care about their opinions.  They’re all evil carbon monsters.  But that’s not true.  Again Richmond is very whitebread liberal.  It’s just some people have kids and have to drop them off before work and to baseball games and whatever.  So they spew carbon.  But then after that, they put solar panels on their house and rain barrels in their yard and go to artsy stores and upcycle the shit out of everything.   That’s what these rich, elite, square liberals are doing in their spare time instead of cycling.  There’s more than one way to be green.

Okay, so yeah.  The roads that get picked are not that great in terms of location.  But they are evil roads.  I would hate them to if I was a biker.  They’re like firing suburb streets with long straightaways and just enough traffic lights to where everyone gets pissed off that just when they get going, they have to stop.  There’s not a ton of traffic, but there’s enough that you can’t underestimate it, which everyone does.

In other words, these are prime road diet streets.  And I am all about the road diet.  I will back road diets all day long.  Thing is, road diet is a separate thing.  I don’t care what you do with the newfound space.  Put some run gardens there to mitigate run off.  Wider sidewalks for pedestrians.  Bus lane.  All of these are good.  Yes, bike lane is good too but it’s not the only thing.

Except, all the cyclists care about is bike lanes.  You know, road diets are a hard sell.  People just refuse to believe that one less lane will not impact their drive time and not clog up the streets and make things less safe.  It seems counterintuitive.  So what you need to do is educate them.  If you can get them to buy into road diets, then you have a good shot at a bike lane.

So then, the debate is “Oh, theses asshole cyclists are trying to take a lane from me for the cycling.”  Instead of “Oh, taking this lane away is a win for everyone.”

So instead of a road diet debate it is a biker vs driver debate.  And now neither side will give an inch because they both justifiably believe the other side is being stupid.  So what do we get?   A shitty sharrow which IMO, actually makes it worse for everyone because no one knows what they are supposed to do on a sharrow

A lot of bikers don’t use the sharrows, and I kind of get why. So next time the bike lanes come up again, there’s a new survey.  Guess where the high traffic area is?  The street right next to the new sharrows, because it’s in a popular road biking area and people don’t use sharrows.  “We want a bike lane.”  “You just GOT a bike lane literally one street away.”  “No that’s a sharrow.  Sharrows suck.”  “You’re right.  And we told you that.  But you were just here screaming about we had to have a sharrow.” “We only screamed about getting a sharrow because we could not get a bike lane and the alternative was ceding the street to you assholes.”

So yeah, I’m anti-cyclist.  I cannot join their movement because fighting for cyclists amounts to fighting or sharrows or ridiculously tiny roundabouts that cars barely even have to nudge the wheel to get around.  They mean well, but they do it to themselves.  I can’t waste time on that shit. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2019, 08:38:05 PM »

Oh, I forgot.  Have you read “Bike Lanes are White Lanes?”  You might find it interesting if you haven’t, though I guess you have.  The author was on a podcast awhile back.  NPR or Stongtown or something like that. Melody Hoffman.  That was a good discussion to.

There is ton of unintended racism in the cycling/urban design debate.  It’s why a lot of cycling movements get screwed.  Black people in cities ride bikes a lot, which shouldn’t be that surprising.  But the cycling advocates are usually white.  Black people in inner cities are like “It would be really cool if I could ride my bike and not get shot.”  White people are like, “It would be cool to put this long fitness/bike path along the river, good workout, nice views, plant some nice flowers.” 

Everyone wins if there the city has interconnected bike lanes with nice yuppie stretchies by the river AND roads coming off it where you can get where you need to go.  But cyclists do a shitty job of outreach, so they don’t get the black support that could help them.

It’s like, you can piss everyone off putting your stupid ghost bikes everywhere just so you can be pissed off when they get removed, or you can do some real shit and maybe we won’t need so many ghost bikes.  “Ghost bikes!”  Okay, have it your way.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »

Yeah, sigh.
Everything you wrote I've witnessed/seen/heard about and yes these are the conversations that happen. We try to not classify it all quite like that but it's one perspective of the give-and-take. I've worked outreach workshops where we said to everyone "bike lanes are coming - where do you want them?" and you get the perspectives from every user. And I've seen surprising results from those workshops, both in that the workshop itself was a successful collaboration, and in the locations that were chosen.

I love a good road diet. I haven't implemented one, but many of my coworkers have. We have all these graphics set up to explain it, and frankly we probably now have a dozen examples of places that improved after doing it. I'm always amused when someone uses these same old, tried, untrue counterpoints against it. I'm like, "we KNOW what will happen. This isn't going to be a surprise."

I have not read that book - not even heard of it - but I can already guess what they are getting at. Here when we think of minorities it's not usually white vs. black - it's more white vs. all minorities since there are huge immigrant populations. And we are very aware of demographic make ups of the neighborhoods where the lanes are being proposed.

Side story - one Community Board that is rather low income and high-minority refused to work with the agency for bike lanes. It was always "we want x, y, z, and NO BIKE LANES." So then it falls on the agency to answer the issue of "why aren't you improving streets in low income neighborhoods?" It's still a chicken-or-the-egg thing. Eventually we got fed up and tried a "deep dive" and just sent representatives to this neighborhood over and over and over again, most of the time not even proposing anything. Just listening, talking, familiarizing. These reps weren't even bike planners - just agency reps. After a few years we finally got some support from the locals because they eventually began to trust us. They knew what were about and didn't take it as an affront that we were there. So....many lessons learned.

The Bicycle Lobby (aka, Advocates) here are very vocal and very involved in the community. They are also very effective. It's clearly a bit different there.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »

Two things that drive me nuts that never happen in Richmond (or most of the US):  road diets and pedestrian scrambles.

Pedestrian scrambles just make so much sense to me.  Light is green, cars do whatever you want and don't worry about pedestrians.    Light is red, pedestrians go crazy, the street is yours.  Go diagonally if you want.  I just don't see how it doesn't make things faster and safer for everyone.

Someone in my office brought Red Ribbon stuff to a conference last week.  Apparently you can order online and get it mail delivered.  But not the Empanadas.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2019, 01:07:01 PM »

Pedestrian scrambles just make so much sense to me.  Light is green, cars do whatever you want and don't worry about pedestrians.    Light is red, pedestrians go crazy, the street is yours.  Go diagonally if you want.  I just don't see how it doesn't make things faster and safer for everyone.

Ped culture may be different here than anywhere else, but here the reasons are:

If you're saying that cars go, then peds go, that means you're doing a 3 phase signal. E-W traffic goes first, then N-S traffic goes next, then all traffic stops while peds go. Yes, this is statistically safest, and if everyone's happy with that, then it works. But we put those in back in the 1960s and/or 1970s, and we've taken them all out. It is because it means there's a lot more waiting. Or delay. Basically, you used to have 2 phases, and if your phase wasn't in the "green" time, then you waited. And when that other phase finished you went. Simple and easy, and frankly it's how many people have been trained to behave. But when there are extra phases, people are not ready/expecting those extra phases, and then they make mistakes because the predictability/expectation of the intersection is lower. Additionally, no one who is on the road likes to wait - we're basically on the road to be moving. So when there's excess waiting, behavior starts to get questionable and people start doing their own things. In NYC pedestrians don't wait for the signal. So when we install a pedestrian scramble, they get extra upset and start doing unexpected things which results in pedestrian injuries or fatalities. I've installed one or two, but they were always "modified" in some way, which helped to reduce this issue.

Or another way to look at it: typical signal cycle is 90 seconds. In two phase signals, there is 45 seconds where one movement is waiting. In three phase signals, there is 60 seconds where one movement is waiting, as they have to wait out the other two phases. 60 seconds of waiting vs. 45 seconds of waiting. Less waiting is better. Fewer phases = better pedestrian safety. I also think shorter signal phases are better, but that's not statistically supported that I know of.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 01:14:17 PM by Dan »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up