Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Knit & Crochet  (Read 10587 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Knit & Crochet
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »

That is bad ass, yo!

Pinkman'd that for you.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »

Thanks!  :D

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »

How do y'all come up with prices for items?

I've just agreed to a commission, and it's a little project (a tea bag cozy), but I have to create the pattern. So I'm giving her a deal for multiples, since I think construction time will be less than 30 minutes once I figure out the pattern. I'm doing one for $15, three for $21. 

I've never sold anything before, but I have let people buy me materials, so I don't have much in the way of frame of reference.
Thoughts?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 08:39:59 AM »

The general consensus is to charge three times the cost of the materials.  In actuality your guess is as good as mine.  I think most people selling on etsy and at craft shows etc are out of their goddamned minds on their prices.

I would say that making a tea cozy would not be all that different than making a hat... it's basically a hat with a hole for the spout, right?  We charge right around $10 for a basic hat (one color, all hdc construction, no embellishment, nothing added) and go up from there.  So say we do something out of the ordinary like add a brim or earflaps, or we make it with ribs (for extra sensation) we'll charge a couple of bucks more.  Flowers or some other kind of add on decoration, another buck or two.  If we go way out and make a frog or something else with eyes/mouth/ears etc. we'll go up to $15.  If it's a big hat (like above a toddler size, the amount of yarn needed goes up exponentially) we'll increase the base price... etc. 

Anyway, if you want my opinion I'd say $15 is probably right on, I might have gone $12 but we tend to underprice a bit.  However, I think your threefer discount is a bit too steep.  $21 is only $6 more than one... so you're giving one away for nothing and only getting $6 for the other.  When thinking in terms of a bulk discount you have to think about what you're willing to take for each... $7 is way too low and more than a 50% discount.  I probably would have done 3 at $36.  But that's just my opinion.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »

Thanks! I should have looked at Etsy to get some price ideas. I'm ok with undercutting on the 3fer price-- I felt my initial price was a bit too high, but wanted to factor in something for the time to create the pattern.

I'm making a shawl for my aunt for Christmas, and it's taking forever-- I would never sell an item like that, because I couldn't price it in a manner that remotely reflects the amount of time I've put in. It's lovely, with a nice shape and color (Ella has a similar piece I did last year) and I'm happy to give it away, I just couldn't sell it.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »

You also have to consider that you don't have the overhead that we have.  We have to pay booth fees at festivals, we had to buy display fixtures (thank you craigslist!)... heck we've probably got $300 worth of rubbermaid tubs just to store our yarn and fleece in.  You can charge less because of the scale on which you sell things being so small.  So again, I think you're on the money and if you're happy with the 3fer deal then I think it's perfectly fine.  Whatever works for you is what you should do.

I've definitely made a few things that I would only make for personal use or gifting.  People on Ravelry and Etsy rave about how people like us (Julie and I) don't charge enough, but in our case making a living wage off of our yarning isn't really a huge goal.  I know that I'm not getting paid very well for my time, but we do still make money and I really enjoy doing it plus just working the festivals and watching people oh and ah over your stuff is really gratifying.  Besides, it's not like I have to go somewhere and toil away forty hours a week crocheting, or have a boss to answer to.  I'm sitting on my couch watching TV while I work, and when we're selling our stuff I can walk across the street and get a funnel cake whenever I want... I'll take a lesser wage for those perks.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:40:36 PM by Kwyjibo »

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 02:08:41 PM »

Good points-- and it definitely makes a difference if you are doing it to be your sole income, or to augment it, or because you already do it and might as well make a few bucks. And I would think that there could be some interesting fees if you are incorporating or doing it as a small business.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »

Yeah, if we were to try and go totally legit it wouldn't be worth it at all.  We keep it small/under the radar so we've avoided those hassles.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 02:43:04 PM »

I'll agree that 3x materials is a really good base
You are never going to get paid for your time.  That's the sucky thing.  Nobody would pay that. 

Kwyj is right on all of that pricing stuff.  It's the hardest part of it. 
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »

I'll agree that 3x materials is a really good base
You are never going to get paid for your time.  That's the sucky thing.  Nobody would pay that.  

Well, when they say 3x materials they're assuming that that the two extra times covers your labor.  That works out for people that use hand spun, hand dyed alpaca or cashmere that they bought at the "LYS" (that term makes me stabby).  When you use Red Heart, not so much.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »

Well, when they say 3x materials they're assuming that that the two extra times covers your labor.  That works out for people that use hand spun, hand dyed alpaca or cashmere that they bought at the "LYS" (that term makes me stabby).  When you use Red Heart, not so much.

haha, that's true.  newborn hats would be like $3.00
-Ed Helms

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 08:06:36 AM »

A friend of mine posted this video on FB. It kind of blew my mind in how easy it is...not that chaining three is all that hard, but...

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:09:02 AM by Jen »
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »

That's pretty nifty. I will have to try that out.

It's always funny to me to watch how other people crochet, because I feel like my stitching process doesn't look anything like what they do. But maybe it does, and I think it doesn't because I'm looking at it from a different angle.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 10:44:13 AM »

I'll have to watch the video at home... blocked here.

Everybody does it different, VV.  Julie, her two sisters, her mom and I all hold tension on the yarn differently, hold our hooks differently and hold our work differently.  When Julie works a hat she works it from the inside... I flip it right side out and work it that way.  I've seen tutorials on the web that I wanted to follow the pattern on and I couldn't even watch them because of the way they did their stitching.

When Julie's middle sister first started she held her work flat on a table, it was very strange.  I don't know if she still does that or not, but she claimed it was the only way she could do it.  I bet she doesn't do it that way anymore because her work has improved drastically since then.

There are dozens of different ways to do most things in crochet.  When I watch other people make hats they all end/start their rounds differently.  It's crazy.  My way of doing it has evolved over time and I still change things now and then when I pick up a tip.  I've gotten to the point that you can barely see the seams in my hats, but I do other things that I'm not entirely pleased with.  I really like the fact that I'm getting better as I go.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 11:58:53 AM »

My seams are also almost invisible.

Also, do you use the "magic circle" (or, as I call it, the "magic hole," because you know, that's WAY funnier)?
That was a huge "OMG this is so much better" moment for me

My tension is super loose.  To the point where I was trying to finish a hat that Jason had made, just the last few rows, and I used the same hook and everything, and it looked like a lighter shade of the yarn because mine was so much looser than his stiches were
-Ed Helms
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up