Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: the avengers  (Read 2848 times)

Chris

• Citizen
Re: the avengers
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »

Oh, am I the only one who kind of chuckled everytime a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent or Fury pulled out a pistol to stop a helicopter, or Loki, or something else really huge that you couldn't possibly bring down with pistol fire?

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »

Oh, am I the only one who kind of chuckled everytime a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent or Fury pulled out a pistol to stop a helicopter, or Loki, or something else really huge that you couldn't possibly bring down with pistol fire?
i did notice that, although fury did fuck up that renegade plane with a rocket launcher.....
bongo hard or bongo home

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 10:30:13 PM »

Imagine how good all the comic book movies of the last decade would have been if Joss Whedon had been at the helm. Damn fine movie, this is. Some of the set up in the first half went a little slowly for my taste, but overall one of the best comic book movies to date.

twentyshots

• City Elder
didn't cross my mind.....
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 03:08:54 PM »

The Avengers As "9/11 Revenge Fantasy"
The problem with superhero movies.
Adam Serwer
link

Even as popular culture becomes increasingly geekified, it's still fairly easy to find examples of mainstream cultural criticism that curls its lip in disgust at anything vaguely associated with fantasy or science fiction.

New Yorker film critic Richard Brody's latest effort, however, represents a welcome exception to that snobbish trend. Brody largely grasps the real politics behind the latest geek triumph The Avengers, and behind much of the post-9/11 appropriation of geek culture in blockbuster films:

"The Avengers" is an impressive feat of cinematic engineering, a work of prodigious skill and efficiency that carries out its cartoonish mission while addressing graver concernsóthe construction of a post-9/11 revenge fantasy that takes place against the backdrop of unpopular foreign wars.

The war of the worlds is ignited by the rebellion of Loki against Thoró the wrathful perverter of a distantly alien religion that preaches peace with Earth. The story builds to an attack by the upstart and his myrmidons that lays waste to a swath of streets in a heavily trafficked Manhattan business district. The preface to the attack is a midair hijacking. The supergroupís climactic, heroic last stand takes the form of legitimate defense, harking back to Second World War movies (earlier on, Captain America even has an interlude in Stuttgart, accompanied by the water-lapping rhythms of Schubert's great "Rosamunde" quartet, that alludes to the war against Hitler); and a commando mission against the enemy's mother ship resembles nothing so much as the daring assault on Osama bin Ladenís Abbottabad complex.

Brody is probably reaching with that Abbotabad comparison, but his observation about The Avengers as a kind of post-9/11 "revenge fantasy" could be applied to the superhero film genre writ large. Conservatives embraced Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy as the invasion of Iraq went south because imagining that the war in Iraq was an existential battle between the forces of light and darkness helped them avoid the reality that it wasn't. Superhero films provide a similar reassurance for a nation that, more than a decade after 9/11, still seems willing to forfeit just about any freedom in exchange for the feeling of safety. Superhero flicks often tell us that matters of good and evil are relatively simple to discern, and that in the end, someone is always going to save us. The closest we get to moral ambiguity in The Avengers is the Hulk, whose uncontrollable, monstrous instincts nudge the audience ever so slightly into considering the danger of an angry, omnipotent child. 

As Chris Hayes wrote shortly after the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, "In the wake of 9/11, the phrase 'bad guys' infiltrated our national conversation, and its continued prevalence serves as a testament to the ways the trauma has warped our national character."

The phrase is self-consciously playful but also insidious. An adult who invokes it is expressing a layered set of propositions. What "bad guys" says, roughly, is this: "I'm an adult who has considered the nature of the moral universe we live in and concluded that it really is black and white. I've decided that my earliest, most childlike conception of heroes and villains is indeed the accurate one, which only later came to be occluded by nuance and wishy-washy, bleeding-heart self-doubt. I reject that more complicated, mature conception as false. I embrace the child's vision of the world."

With films like The Avengers, we get all the unambiguously evil "bad guys" we want, and we get to see them lose, over and over again. That attitude would be fine if we were able to leave it in the movie theater along with our 3-D glasses. But most of us don't. We take it with us whenever we think about our wars, whether literal,  cultural, or metaphorical. We frequently "embrace the child's vision of the world," because it's easier to want to keep fighting wars that way. There's only one thing to do with "bad guys," after all: beat them.
bongo hard or bongo home

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »

i knew it was unlikely to hold the top spot for a fourth week..............but men in black 3?
bongo hard or bongo home

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 06:31:23 PM »

The Hulk vs. Loki fight was my favorite part of the whole movie.  Hands down... and that booty.  Yeah.  You know which booty.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 09:47:31 PM »

The Hulk vs. Loki fight was my favorite part of the whole movie.  Hands down... and that booty.  Yeah.  You know which booty.

bongo hard or bongo home

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »

saw it on wednesday. wow. just wow. i was surprised that the hulk was the cutup of the group.

that and "hey, isn't that the chick from how i met your mother?"

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 10:13:23 AM »

If they are not signing up the entire cast and Joss for a sequel RIGHT NOW, frankly that's just bad business.  Give them whatever they want.  After this, a sequel will break $300 million opening weekend.  I have never seen an audience so into a movie as this one.  Well, maybe "Star Wars: Episode I"... but that goodwill wore off FAST.

Joss is signed up.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »

The Avengers is the NUMBER THREE RANKED MOVIE EVER in terms of worldwide box office.

NUMBER THREE! EVER!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 03:54:38 PM »

The Avengers is the NUMBER THREE RANKED MOVIE EVER in terms of worldwide box office.

NUMBER THREE! EVER!
That's just wank.
Opulence. I has it.

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up