Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: taft ballroom  (Read 4749 times)

TayFo

• City Elder
Re: taft ballroom
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2015, 03:59:08 PM »

They were in the ballroom last time they were in town. Soooooo X3.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2016, 04:25:07 PM »

Pollstar says Low is coming to the Taft (I would think they would be in the ballroom) on Friday January 29, 2016.  I might be a bit premature in posting this--the gig doesn't appear on either the band's or the Taft's website--but it fits in with the tour routing.  And I'm excited about a decent veteran band coming to town on a night when I have a good chance of being able to attend.
Have you heard any further on this? It's not listed on the Taft's website.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2016, 04:30:12 PM »

Pollstar says Low is coming to the Taft (I would think they would be in the ballroom) on Friday January 29, 2016.  I might be a bit premature in posting this--the gig doesn't appear on either the band's or the Taft's website--but it fits in with the tour routing.  And I'm excited about a decent veteran band coming to town on a night when I have a good chance of being able to attend.
I've given up on this show happening.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »

I've given up on this show happening.

Sadly, I've given up on it as well.  The moral of the story:  Pollstar is a useful website, but always confirm elsewhere any concerts they list that interest you.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2019, 03:00:46 PM »

OK, it isn't in the ballroom but in the theatre.  I didn't feel like starting another topic:

9/23/2019--Brian Wilson/The Zombies

Even though it's a Monday night, I went ahead and got tickets.  I've never sees Brian, and who knows how much longer he'll be willing/able to do it. And The Zombies will reportedly have four of the original five members, including mainstays Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2019, 12:47:24 PM »

I was lucky enough to see the Zombies a few years back when I was back home in Southampton. Small 3-400 capacity club. They were fucking awesome. Argent did a version of his solo “Hold Your Head Up” hit that took the damned roof off the place. All the band cust from Odyssey and Oracle had me in raptures.
Opulence. I has it.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2019, 06:09:28 PM »

I was lucky enough to see the Zombies a few years back when I was back home in Southampton. Small 3-400 capacity club. They were fucking awesome. Argent did a version of his solo “Hold Your Head Up” hit that took the damned roof off the place. All the band cust from Odyssey and Oracle had me in raptures.

Good to hear. I've always enjoyed Hold Your Head Up. And even though it isn't a Zombies song, I hope they play it on 9/23.

euro60

• City Elder
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:29:29 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »

Good to hear. I've always enjoyed Hold Your Head Up. And even though it isn't a Zombies song, I hope they play it on 9/23.
How was that show last night?

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2019, 12:55:19 PM »

I thought that the Zombies sounded good and had great energy for a band their age.  They tarted up a few of their songs which I didn’t love, but is completely understandable given that they’re 50 some years old.  I had the biggest lump in my throat during Butcher’s Tale and, when I turned to the missus, she was wiping tears away. 

Brian Wilson.  I had to reframe my perspective a bit to tell myself that maybe this is a well deserved victory lap for him, but it was very hard to watch and listen to him.  It’s great hearing those songs that were some of the first rock and roll tunes that I loved and the band was very good at recreating the magic.  Even Al Jardine’s voice sounded good.  Wilson’s best moment was the closer, Love and Mercy.  The fragility and unevenness of his voice added so much emotion to that song and I thought it worked brilliantly.   But, it’s basically the kind of show you’d see in Vegas.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2019, 06:13:36 PM »

How was that show last night?

Certainly glad I went.  The Zombies--with four of the original members present, which likely won't happen again--were superb.  Colin Blunstone has lost very little of his vocal prowess and power.  And I've regained a lot of respect for Rod Argent.  Years ago on In Concert or Don Kirshner's rock concert they showed part of a gig by the band Argent (modestly named after Rod).  He was horrible--dressed like Rick Wakeman used to in a long white robe or gown or whatever, acting very self-important and pretentious, and not playing all that well. Russ Ballard saved the show.  But last night, he was in a good, down to earth mood and played really well.  Not being familiar with a lot of Zombies material, I was surprised by Argent and original bassist Chris White singing a number of leads.  They were limited to a one hour set, so no encores of songs from the band Argent.  But bands with members one-third the ages of The Zombies would do well to have their energy and enthusiasm.  They played a brand new song, and will be recording a new album soon.  I would definitely see them again, preferably headlining.

Brian Wilson has an amazing, quite large band--10 members, 11 during the songs Blondie Chaplin joined in on. They played a number of the expected old hits but, of more interest to me,  also a number of deep cuts from albums like Friends and Surf's Up.  Original Beach Boy Al Jardine has been a part of Brian's band for a few years now and acquitted himself quite well without Mike Love hogging the spotlight.  Al's son Matt was present as well, singing some lead parts and some amazing high harmonies.  And Chaplin singing Sail On Sailor was my personal highlight, though his guitar pyrotechnics went on a little too long.

As for Brian, living legends don't come to town everyday.  But for most of the show, he sat silently behind a piano he appeared to rarely if ever play, staring in a depressed and/or bored manner.  His mental health issues are obviously such that having him go on tour seems like a matter of exploitation.
I hope it isn't but...  His singing has definitely declined, though it had its moments. And he missed cues more than once.   The crowd tried to make him feel better by giving him a not-quite-earned standing ovation after he sang God Only Knows.  It didn't work.  He didn't even stand up when the rest of the band took a bow at the end of the show.  But I have to mention Matt Jardine's humane actions as the curtain was closing for the last time of the evening. The curtain got stuck halfway down, and Brian was still sitting.  My wife noticed tears in his eyes.  Matt put a hand on his shoulder and  appeared to be speaking to him kindly, even kissing him on the forehead (Brian is probably like an uncle to him).  I know mental illness is a chronic condition, and Brian has had more than his share of downs. Hopefully things will improve for him soon.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »

Quote from: foolsgold link=topic=106438.msg524473#msg524473 date=1569344119

Wilson’s best moment was the closer, Love and Mercy. 
[/quote

Agreed. It's certainly among the best songs from his solo recordings.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2019, 01:03:01 PM »

Would've loved to see the Zombies, but couldn't quite justify the ticket prices. Glad you guys enjoyed it.

I've seen Brian Wilson a number of times before. His engagement (or lack thereof) can differ strongly, depending on how he is doing. I remember him being quite engaged on the Beach Boys 50th anniversary tour when they played at Riverbend. It seems he is quite subdued on this particular tour. The fact that he is even out there touring is amazing, I mean, why is he actually touring, given the circumstances?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up