Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: taft ballroom  (Read 4891 times)

pourmesometea

• Summer Resident
taft ballroom
« on: September 02, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »

i went to this venue for the first time last night, it's a good room.  small crowd for the legendary shack shakers, they are so much fun. not sure why i haven't been there before this, i was comfy there.

cyclone

• City Elder
Re: taft ballroom
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »

I'll be checking out The Sea and Cake there in October.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:05:21 PM »

it's a nice room. the sound is good. the stage is high enough. the room is wide enough that it's hard not to get a good view. bartenders are friendly and remember what i have had to drink month after month. worst thing i can say is that the room isn't all that interesting ( and who cares) and that nobody seems to be interesting in the booking. some things upstairs could stand to come downstairs.

juggles

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »

I think I saw Tori Amos there many years ago. We were in the balcony and I remember it being somewhat vertiginous but otherwise a nice room.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »

You are thinking of the Taft Theater main room.  Tori played there for the Under the Pink tour.  I still remember dragging my ass out there with a 102 degree fever because I refused to miss it.

The ballroom opened up I think just this year (at least I hadn't heard about it until after the SGH closed).  It is essentially the basement of the Taft.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »

You are right Dirk. The Taft Ballroom opened about a year ago, I think.

The Taft main theatre indeed has been the site of many, many memorable sets over the years. Saw Fiona Apple there on her first major tour (96 or 97), Beck on his crazy Midnite Vultures tour (99?), Laura Anderson (95?) etc. I really need to check my concert log list!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

juggles

• Tourist
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 11:05:45 PM »

You are thinking of the Taft Theater main room.  Tori played there for the Under the Pink tour.  I still remember dragging my ass out there with a 102 degree fever because I refused to miss it.

The ballroom opened up I think just this year (at least I hadn't heard about it until after the SGH closed).  It is essentially the basement of the Taft.
Ah. Thanks. I was thinking I might be confused but when I Google "Taft Ballroom" it took me to the Taft Theatre page and I didn't see any mention of the ballroom so I assumed it was the same space.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »

the only way you can see what's playing in the ballroom vs the theatre is to click on the link. there will be a note near the bottom reading "this show is in the ballroom" +/-. There have been several shows i got excited for and then found out they were in the theatre, like ingrid michaelson and toad the wet sprocket.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 12:55:10 AM »

the only way you can see what's playing in the ballroom vs the theatre is to click on the link. there will be a note near the bottom reading "this show is in the ballroom" +/-. There have been several shows i got excited for and then found out they were in the theatre, like ingrid michaelson and toad the wet sprocket.
I was really surprised to see Toad the Wet Sprocket booked in the main theatre. Do they really expect to sell anywhere close to the 2,500 capacity of the main theatre for this?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

juggles

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »

I was really surprised to see Toad the Wet Sprocket booked in the main theatre. Do they really expect to sell anywhere close to the 2,500 capacity of the main theatre for this?

Agreed. I saw them a couple time way back when and I don't remember them playing rooms much bigger than that when they were at their most popular.

Dizzy

• Summer Resident
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 02:19:23 AM »

So physically, where is the ballroom?  I only wonder because many, many moons ago I went to the Taft main room with my dad for a talk with Chris Sabo. After the talking ended we all were moved over to the Masons Lodge next door through the tunnels under the complex.  Somewhere below street level is a huge train set. Yeah, that was an awesome night for a young kid.  

Oh yeah, I am posting this. Found it while looking for info. Some day I will reach this level of awesome. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:23:14 AM by Dizzy »

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »

it not too difficult to get to. directly the main foyer is similar room with a small bar and access to large bathrooms. on the south end of that room are steps the go down another story under the cheap seats. whoever's cell phone service works down there wins.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »

Tickets purchased for Saturday.

Only had to pay $4 in Ticketbastard "convenience" charges, so that was a first.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »

Tickets purchased for Saturday.

Only had to pay $4 in Ticketbastard "convenience" charges, so that was a first.
at the ticket window or online?

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »

at the ticket window or online?

Online (I of course chose to print the tix rather than paying the willcall fee as well as skipped some BS $7 "ticket insurance"). 

I couldn't make it to the window since they're only open 11-3 and prices go up DOS.  Do you only pay face value at the window or is it the same way?
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up