Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: taft ballroom  (Read 3411 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: taft ballroom
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2015, 12:38:25 AM »

Attention euro60:  Meg Myers, October 20, 2015
Hell yea.... thank you for posting this. I will be front and center for this! Who will join me? I know TayFo will.

Drjohn... how about you?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »

Regarding the Meg Myers show:

Tickets on sale: Friday, August 28 @ 11:00 A.M.

Buy Tickets Advance: $15.00
Day of Show: $15.00

Show 8:30 P.M. / doors open 7:30 P.M.
Opener: Jarryd James
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2015, 12:57:21 PM »

Attention euro60:  Meg Myers, October 20, 2015
Hell yea.... thank you for posting this. I will be front and center for this! Who will join me? I know TayFo will.

Drjohn... how about you?

I might.  I haven't made my mind up about her music.  I like Desire, and the male in me appreciated her lack of trousers in the video.  The only other song I've heard by her didn't impress me at all.  I'll have to check out more of her songs.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2015, 01:58:44 PM »

My personal favorites are Adelaide, Poison, Desire, Go, Make A Shadow and if you were into The Cranberries, Heart Heart Head.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, Tayfo, but I'm not exactly a Cranberries partisan.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 11:08:58 PM »

drjohn, I hadn't heart a single song of Meg Myers when I saw her in concert the first time (at Bunbury 2014), so not knowing the songs isn't an issue. Her stage presence is so intense that she will simply blow you away, period.

If it is of any interest, here a link of my Amazon review of her 2014 EP Make A Shadow (mine is the first showing up):

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Shadow-Explicit-Meg-Myers/dp/B00I9FE3B0/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1440644691&sr=1-1&keywords=meg+myers+make+a+shadow

And I disagree with TayFo on the Cranberries comparison. I don't see any of that at all. To me it's more a Fiona Apple/Tori Amos/Alanis kinda thing.

So looking forward to her debut album (coming out Sept 18) and of course the Taft show.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:12:35 PM by euro60 »

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2015, 11:00:46 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I'm rather middle aged, cynical and hard to blow away, but maybe she's up to the task.  Your view of Ms. Myers is different from a couple of people on another message board or Facebook page who compared her to Stevie Nicks.  They meant the comparison as a compliment.  I saw it as an insult.  Even my limited exposure to Ms. Myers convinces me she could eat Stevie Nicks' lunch.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »

I'm rather middle aged, cynical and hard to blow away
X2 (to a degree)

Where does the Steve Nicks comparison come from, I wonder? Meg Myers is nothing like Stevie Nicks, be it musically, style-wise, intensity-wise, voice-wise. Perhaps the only point of comparison that I could possibly see is that both are (in Nicks' case: was) rather petite.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »

They meant it musically.  I don't see how they are alike either, unless it would have to do with neither of them writing straightforward "Oh baby I love you" stuff.  But that isn't much of a similarity.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2015, 05:53:33 PM »

They most be on more drugs than Stevie Nicks.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »

Hell of a show last night from Meg Myers, although not quite as intense as last year's show at Bunbury (in my opinion). Maybe it's because I didn't know what to expect last year, and I did this time around.

I also noticed that Meg is now sporting a prominent engagement ring, which I assume means that she is spoken for. Or worse, that she's happy now. Say goodbye to the angry young woman! And goodbye to her muse!

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »

I also noticed that Meg is now sporting a prominent engagement ring, which I assume means that she is spoken for. Or worse, that she's happy now. Say goodbye to the angry young woman! And goodbye to her muse!

Well, you can always hope she has a little Mark E. Smith in her.  None of The Fall frontman's three marriages, including his current one, have succeeded in turning him into Mr. Rogers.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »

Although I would like to heard an angry female version of "Won't You Be My Neighbor".

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2015, 12:31:42 AM »

Pollstar says Low is coming to the Taft (I would think they would be in the ballroom) on Friday January 29, 2016.  I might be a bit premature in posting this--the gig doesn't appear on either the band's or the Taft's website--but it fits in with the tour routing.  And I'm excited about a decent veteran band coming to town on a night when I have a good chance of being able to attend.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2015, 09:52:09 AM »

I'm excited about a decent veteran band coming to town on a night when I have a good chance of being able to attend.
X2

If I'm in town, I'll be there.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up