Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Do Republicans Hate Everyone?  (Read 11540 times)

MattD

• Administrator
  • Summer Resident
Do Republicans Hate Everyone?
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:08:03 AM »

So I guess I will use the Randomville Forum to try and figure out if Republicans hate everyone.....  At this point in my life I think I have honestly quit caring about politics for the most part, largely due to the insanely high levels of negativity that is associated with the discussions.  However this year seems worse than ever.  I honestly think I will return to using facebook in December so I can actually retain a friendship with half of the people I know.......  I feel like all the people I know that are Republicans are on the borderline of committing a hate crime by the comments that they are making.  Am I the only one noticing this?   

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: Do Republicans Hate Everyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 06:02:48 AM »

MattD, might be best to pose this question in the Politics forum. When Randomville was formed, we didn't even create a politics forum, such was our disgust with the ugliness that regularly happened on our former board. We only recently added one, after taking a vote on it.

Not trying to stymie the conversation, just asking that it be placed where those who want to talk politics can do so without the rest of the board getting sucked into it.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:03:57 AM »

No I don't think you are.

The Republicans do seem to have a nasty trait lately of being remarkably self destructive, almost as if to piss off a lot of their own supporters.

That's how a rational person sees it. However, whenever one of their inflammatory remarks gets released it bizarrely only seems to stir up the support of their own kind galvanising their base and spreading the racist/sexist/homophobic/ill-informed nonsense even further. It's almost as if they can't think for themselves and Faux News has to do all their thinking for them?

The power behind the Republican throne does seem to be held by a tiny handful of people and/or corporations with no thought whatsoever for the general American public.

I don't necessarily think all Republicans hate everyone, I just think many are being coerced and forced into doing so by figures that seem to want to perpetuate everything that is bad about America's history.

I promised myself I wouldn't get as 'wound up' by this election as I was 2008's but every so often I will just have to let off steam.

Cockney "I can't vote anyway" Rebel
Opulence. I has it.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 08:27:07 AM »

The power behind the Republican throne does seem to be held by a tiny handful of people and/or corporations with no thought whatsoever for the general American public.
I knew it.  Commies!
smiley face

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 09:42:43 AM »

Just the opposite of communism, isn't it?  A very small majority of the people controlling most of the money and all of the power and the greater majority have almost none of the money and none of the power.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »

i identify as a libertarian (both the major parties are fucking bad in my book).  as a libertarian i hate a system that allows people to mooch off the work of others.  i was once pretty liberal and one day i realized that it wasn't moral for me to be a liberal.  it was cool and romantic, every cause deserved my attention.  fuck bush fuck the rich goddamn white man keeping the black man down.  it was about this time that i read atlas shrugged and ayn rand was preaching what i recently discovered for myself.  and you have to remember that all politics is is pandering.  i can't understand why anyone would want to be a politician. 
poach eggs, not elephants

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 10:38:53 AM »

it was about this time that i read atlas shrugged and ayn rand was preaching what i recently discovered for myself.

There is not a facepalm big enough to demonstrate the way I feel about this comment.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 11:06:32 AM »

There is not a facepalm big enough to demonstrate the way I feel about this comment.

I didn't want to be a dick, but yeah.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 11:08:44 AM »

Thirded

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »

so y'all read the book?  i love how that's the part that was quoted from my post
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:23:01 AM by daytime drinking »

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 12:40:27 PM »

so y'all read the book?  i love how that's the part that was quoted from my post

I should tell you for starters that as someone who identifies as fairly well-read, Ayn Rand is by far among my very least favorite canonical, successful authors.  I read (most) of Atlas Shrugged years ago.  Where can I even begin in how much I detested that book?  Not only did I find it objectively poorly written, but Rand's barely coherent, over-simplistic philosophy disguised as a poignant defense of unfettered capitalism was borderline offensive to me.  The narrative and "good/bad" mechanical characters were essentially action figures IIRC.  I found them completely implausible and void of humanity. There were really no redeeming qualities to me.  It came across completely tepid and a praise of greed.  And it isn't purely about the political influence.  Find me a handful of useful, well-written works of fiction used to convey such a political message.  Is this were a manifesto where the objectivism was replaced with the advocating of a welfare state, it would have still sucked. I would also add that I wonder if you were aware of the general academic consensus about Rand and this book in particular.  Not that I'm saying that that should be something that persuades you one way or another, because it shouldn't. I'm just a little surprised that you would be surprised that a few of us had that (facepalm) reaction to the nature of the book influencing you on the political spectrum.  In summary, the ridicule is that it's an unapologetic work that promotes selfishness as a virtue, and a work where young people (read: teenagers) has been the target demographic for decades.  The amateurish, pseudo-philosophy is criticized fairly prominently.  Do people actually think that laissez-faire capitalism is the answer?  The fact that the influence of the book has risen so much on the far right of the political spectrum is also pretty telling, at least to me.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
― John Rogers

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 01:28:45 PM »

I should tell you for starters that as someone who identifies as fairly well-read, Ayn Rand is by far among my very least favorite canonical, successful authors.  I read (most) of Atlas Shrugged years ago.  Where can I even begin in how much I detested that book?  Not only did I find it objectively poorly written, but Rand's barely coherent, over-simplistic philosophy disguised as a poignant defense of unfettered capitalism was borderline offensive to me.  The narrative and "good/bad" mechanical characters were essentially action figures IIRC.  I found them completely implausible and void of humanity. There were really no redeeming qualities to me.  It came across completely tepid and a praise of greed.  And it isn't purely about the political influence.  Find me a handful of useful, well-written works of fiction used to convey such a political message.  Is this were a manifesto where the objectivism was replaced with the advocating of a welfare state, it would have still sucked. I would also add that I wonder if you were aware of the general academic consensus about Rand and this book in particular.  Not that I'm saying that that should be something that persuades you one way or another, because it shouldn't. I'm just a little surprised that you would be surprised that a few of us had that (facepalm) reaction to the nature of the book influencing you on the political spectrum.  In summary, the ridicule is that it's an unapologetic work that promotes selfishness as a virtue, and a work where young people (read: teenagers) has been the target demographic for decades.  The amateurish, pseudo-philosophy is criticized fairly prominently.  Do people actually think that laissez-faire capitalism is the answer?  The fact that the influence of the book has risen so much on the far right of the political spectrum is also pretty telling, at least to me.

oh, i'm not surprised at all.  i'm just a tad curious as to why my reference to the book was the only thing mentioned. 

pseudo-philosophy, maybe.  but she's only been dead for half a century.  give her some time.  radical ideas don't become mainstream overnight.  selfishness as a virtue, absolutely.  there's the brilliance in it.  if everyone put others before them, no one would get anywhere. being selfish is not a bad thing.  arrogance does not have to be a bad thing.  greed does not have to be a bad thing.  if it weren't for those things, give me an idea where mankind would be?  and to punish those who create?  those that always strive for first place?  give me an idea of a world not fueled by competition.  competition is the hallmark of genius. 

there is humanity in her characters.  they are passionate about people who are passionate, people who strive, not a system that breeds a parasitic nature.  the point of the book is, you're given this body and this mind.  use it responsibly and make your self happy.  in john galt's speech (if you read it), she says charity is fine, only if you truly believe the person will make a sound end of it.  and i paraphrased that.   

is it so crazy to expect people to be responsible for themselves?  is it so crazy not to have a welfare state?  you can bitch and moan all day about her narrative, her characters, etc... but how can you deny the fundamental fact that people can't do a damn thing about the situation they were born into, except prosper.   what's stopping you?     

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »

It's funny.  I read Anthem when I was in high school and enjoyed it a lot, and have read it multiple times since.  I guess it's kind of Atlas Shrugged lite... all of the cautionary tale of a government gone wrong without all of the selfish, objectivist nonsense.

How anybody could regard the economic-Darwinism espoused in Atlas Shrugged as a possible real world philosophy is beyond me.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 01:35:06 PM »

It's funny.  I read Anthem when I was in high school and enjoyed it a lot, and have read it multiple times since.  I guess it's kind of Atlas Shrugged lite... all of the cautionary tale of a government gone wrong without all of the selfish, objectivist nonsense.

How anybody could regard the economic-Darwinism espoused in Atlas Shrugged as a possible real world philosophy is beyond me.

do you think 1984 is a possibility?  Brave New World?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up