Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: World Cup 2014  (Read 21544 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: World Cup 2014
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »

Beasley was only playing there due to injuries.  He was rather mediocre... which still made him better than the other guys we've been playing back there unfortunately.  Lichaj can't even get into Villa's squad and Villa is TERRIBLE.  He's "championship" material.

It's not weird that all our attacks go through Bradley.  Our wingers are crap, and our backs are basically wingers playing fullback on account of being even crappier on the wing than the crappy wingers.  Bradley on the other hand, is actually quite good.  Him, Howard, Dempsey, and maybe Guzan are the only legit players on the US side.

US soccer just isn't very good.  And what's more distressing is that it hasn't produced anyone of note in maybe ten years.  I mean yeah, Klinsmann probably should be using Chris Pontius or whatever but it's not really going to make a difference.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »

I don't care how many people are injured, put Alexi fucking Lalas out there with his pot belly and ridiculous hair.  Anyone would be better than Beasley.

Fourthisto

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 11:23:03 AM »

Is it weird that EVERY posession had to be set up through Bradley, or is that how they usually operate?

I remember my first beer...

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 11:45:23 AM »

I don't care how many people are injured, put Alexi fucking Lalas out there with his pot belly and ridiculous hair.  Anyone would be better than Beasley.

Beasley really wasn't that bad.  I mean, he sucked and got schooled a lot but you expect that. He semi-contained his man and got help from Besler and Gomez and that's about the best he or any other US fullback can do. 

Mexico actually made a mistake IMO by considering Beasley the weak link and constantly attacking through that side.  Geoff Cameron was worse than Beasley at right back and dealing with quick dribblers is not either Gonzalez or Besler's forte while positional awareness is.  They were able to set up and help out because attacks weren't coming directly at them.  If Mexico had spread the attack more they would have won that game by two goals.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »

I guess he wasn't THAT bad because Mexico didn't win, but there was a reason they kept attacking him.  And it's not because they're all right footed.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 11:02:44 PM »

I guess he wasn't THAT bad because Mexico didn't win, but there was a reason they kept attacking him.  And it's not because they're all right footed.

I honestly think Mexico was just that stupid, plus no one likes Giovani dos Santos.  In real-life Giovani Dos Santos never signed with Saints at 19 when they were managed by me, the greatest manager in the history of football and thus never learned to use both feet or to pick out a pass.  He just runs around at 100% pace all the time with his head down dribbling into walls and pissing off everyone who has ever coached him instead of becoming the world's best attacking central midfielder.  Thus, they felt more comfortable attacking through Aquino.

I mean, Beasley obviously sucked but I feel like the main reason he looked ao bad was the same reason Mexico didn't win.  They just kept attacking him over and over causing him to look bad but also making it too easy for the actually semi-competent Beasley to help out.

I think the same thing would have happened if they'd gone down the other side.  Dos Santos would have made Cameron look foolish (as he did the few times they tried it) but being Dos Santos he would have then done something stupid and Gonzalez would have cleaned it up as he had an excellent game.

US had a wing at one fullback position and a centerback at the other.  And a small, tricky, fast striker paired against two more physical guys so Mexico had mismatches everywhere.  IMO, they foolishly negated that advantage by making their own attack one-dimensional which made it too easy for the actually semi-competent Besler and Gonzalez to read the game and help out the lesser guys.  All they had to do was vary their attack.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 08:14:49 AM »

Anyone planning to go to the USA v Mexico match in Columbus on Sept. 10?
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 08:38:04 AM »

I would really like to.  Atmosphere would be crazy.
smiley face

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 09:45:26 AM »

Sounds like it will be a tough ticket to get.  They should really have it somewhere with, you know, a lot of seats.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 10:19:32 AM »

A lot of seats... but not a lot of Mexicans! So NYC is out. As is LA and anywhere somewhat south. Columbus seems like a great choice, actually. I suppose they could move it to Ohio Stadium, but I don't know what OSU would think about that.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »

We're gonna try to get tickets, but if we can't, it'll be Molly Malone's for us.

I'm glad that Columbus got the match, but sad that tickets will be so hard to come by.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

MoxyWOXY

• Summer Resident
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »

A lot of seats... but not a lot of Mexicans! So NYC is out. As is LA and anywhere somewhat south. Columbus seems like a great choice, actually. I suppose they could move it to Ohio Stadium, but I don't know what OSU would think about that.

Couldn't be played at Ohio Stadium - not enough room for a soccer field.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »

This will be the 4th time in a row that the US-Mexico qualifier game will be at the Crew stadium. Can they sell more tickets by moving it to a larger venue? Sure, but it would beat the purpose of havng it at the Crew, a small vanue that will go insane. The only surprise is that the game is not in February or March (as it usually is), to make it as cold as possible for the Mexicans. I suppose that the US tried but was unable to get it scheduled for the winter.

That aside, does anyone else think that it's weird that the US-Belgium friendly on May 29 is in Cleveland at the Browns stadium (which will not come anywhere close to selling out--they'll be lucky to fill it 1/3 of the way), instead of the Crew Stadium, which seems like a much more suitable place for this?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Fourthisto

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »

We're gonna try to get tickets, but if we can't, it'll be Molly Malone's for us.

I'd much rather watch it from the comfort of a pub stool than fork over $200-300 for the experience. I mean, it'd be amazing to see in person... but it's still merely a qualifier. To me, I'd rather blow that kind of money on something more substantial.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:30:30 PM by Fourthisto »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 02:05:57 PM »

That aside, does anyone else think that it's weird that the US-Belgium friendly on May 29 is in Cleveland at the Browns stadium (which will not come anywhere close to selling out--they'll be lucky to fill it 1/3 of the way), instead of the Crew Stadium, which seems like a much more suitable place for this?

Yes, I think it is weird, but I also like it. Columbus gets a lot of big soccer matches and they will still get them. This being a friendly and not an important qualifier, I think it makes sense to go to new markets to try to build excitement and interest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up