Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: World Cup 2014  (Read 21547 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: World Cup 2014
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »

A lot of seats... but not a lot of Mexicans! So NYC is out. As is LA and anywhere somewhat south. Columbus seems like a great choice, actually. I suppose they could move it to Ohio Stadium, but I don't know what OSU would think about that.
This will be the 4th time in a row that the US-Mexico qualifier game will be at the Crew stadium. Can they sell more tickets by moving it to a larger venue? Sure, but it would beat the purpose of havng it at the Crew, a small vanue that will go insane. The only surprise is that the game is not in February or March (as it usually is), to make it as cold as possible for the Mexicans. I suppose that the US tried but was unable to get it scheduled for the winter.

That aside, does anyone else think that it's weird that the US-Belgium friendly on May 29 is in Cleveland at the Browns stadium (which will not come anywhere close to selling out--they'll be lucky to fill it 1/3 of the way), instead of the Crew Stadium, which seems like a much more suitable place for this?

I read an article that basically said until the US loses to Mexico there, they can expect all matches like this vs. Mexico to be in Columbus.  Trying to get some kind of psychological advantage.

Personally, I would think Portland or Seattle would work better with their bigger, even more raucous crowds, but I am sure that Columbus will sell out and be crazy.  Just not quite as crazy.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 02:43:24 PM »

Oh I don't know about that.  At the one regular season Crew game I went to a couple of years ago, an entire quarter of the stadium was a giant cheering section, like at some high school game, but X 50.  I can imagine how a Cup qualifier would amplify that.
smiley face

Fourthisto

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »

Only a quarter, eh?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »

That aside, does anyone else think that it's weird that the US-Belgium friendly on May 29 is in Cleveland at the Browns stadium (which will not come anywhere close to selling out--they'll be lucky to fill it 1/3 of the way), instead of the Crew Stadium, which seems like a much more suitable place for this?

Yes, I think it is weird, but I also like it. Columbus gets a lot of big soccer matches and they will still get them. This being a friendly and not an important qualifier, I think it makes sense to go to new markets to try to build excitement and interest.
What?!? Did you just insult the Belgian in me? This is the most important game of the year  :P
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »

For the record, I think playing the Belgian team is the equivalent of playing any powerhouse national team. I mean, with the players that they have on the top teams in the top leagues, they are a legitimately great team. The US will probably lose pretty bad, so there is that going for ya.

MoxyWOXY

• Summer Resident
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »

I read an article that basically said until the US loses to Mexico there, they can expect all matches like this vs. Mexico to be in Columbus.  Trying to get some kind of psychological advantage.

Personally, I would think Portland or Seattle would work better with their bigger, even more raucous crowds, but I am sure that Columbus will sell out and be crazy.  Just not quite as crazy.

The reason they do it in Columbus is for two reasons:  1) the percentage of US fans compared to Mexican is pretty much higher there than anywhere else  2) the weather is normally a big advantage (as someone pointed out, they would prefer to schedule in Feb before, but that was not an option).

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »

MLS crowds and US soccer fans in general always strike me as a bit weird.  They are quite crazy about the team.  And yet, they're not coming from a soccer culture, and the US is annoyingly awesome at most sports, so there's no particular reason to go all psycho for a soccer team.  But they do.

It's also kind of a manufactured crazy.  Like they aren't actually like that, but they think that's how fans are supposed to be.  There's no reason to name your team "United," "Real" or "FC" but it's just like they think that's how it's supposed to be.  Or throwing flares at games.  Stuff like that.  It seems off to me to try to encourage the US by doing it in a borrowed European/Latin way.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 08:27:05 AM »

I think it's more of a "soccer" way.

Only a quarter, eh?
Go to a match, then tell me if that's not a lot.
smiley face

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »

It's also kind of a manufactured crazy. 
I'll second that.

We went to a USA/Poland friendly in Chi-town a few years back and the USA 'fans' were being encouraged to sing/chant by a guy stood on a podium with a baton. FFS.

If someone tried that in England he would still be trying to get the baton out of his arse.

Dan will doubtless attest that in England the chanting comes naturally, or not at all. You can't force it. Ask Bolton fans.
Opulence. I has it.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »

MLS crowds and US soccer fans in general always strike me as a bit weird.  They are quite crazy about the team.  And yet, they're not coming from a soccer culture, and the US is annoyingly awesome at most sports, so there's no particular reason to go all psycho for a soccer team.  But they do.

It's also kind of a manufactured crazy.  Like they aren't actually like that, but they think that's how fans are supposed to be.  There's no reason to name your team "United," "Real" or "FC" but it's just like they think that's how it's supposed to be.  Or throwing flares at games.  Stuff like that.  It seems off to me to try to encourage the US by doing it in a borrowed European/Latin way.

I agree with this. I'm not sure why US fans are the way they are, but part of me thinks its because there aren't as many American "soccer" fans, so they have to be extra boisterous and obnoxious to make up for the fact that they are outnumbered at friendlies, qualifiers etc.

I'm basing this mostly on the only US friendly I've attended (US/Poland in Chicago several years ago), where the US fans were outnumbered at something like seven to one (or maybe even more). I felt sorry for the small but very vocal contingent of US fans, who tried in vain for their chants to be heard (there was even a drummer!) over the din of singing, chanting Poles. It was futile.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Fourthisto

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »

Go to a match, then tell me if that's not a lot.
That's not a lot.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 12:41:11 PM »

I think a good analogue would be that soccer is to the US how baseball is to Japan.  It makes sense that each nation's fans of the relatively new sport would have to borrow names, traditions, cheers, etc. from the places the sport came from.  Whether or not soccer will continue to grow in the US to reach the levels of elsewhere doesn't really matter.  You can't fault the fans that are here now.  It's impossible to be completely new about things.

And don't forget: the Cleveland Indians have had a drummer in the crowd for 40 years.
smiley face

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »

And don't forget: the Cleveland Indians have had a drummer in the crowd for 40 years.
In related news: the Indians haven't won a WS since 1948.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 02:18:52 PM »

In related news: the Indians haven't won a WS since 1948.

*sad face*

Fourthisto

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 02:28:32 PM »

I think a good analogue would be that soccer is to the US how baseball is to Japan.  It makes sense that each nation's fans of the relatively new sport <snip>

Not so fast, pilgrim.......

Baseball is one of the most popular sports in Japan. It was introduced to Japan in 1872.

The professional baseball association is called Nippon Professional Baseball. Nippon Professional Baseball started in 1920.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Up