Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Down

Author Topic: World Cup 2014  (Read 21549 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: World Cup 2014
« Reply #405 on: March 20, 2015, 10:16:35 AM »

Good question, Poolio. I wonder if anyone at the country-levels has even thought this through.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #406 on: March 20, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »

Good question, Poolio. I wonder if anyone at the country-levels has even thought this through.
Probably in some nightmares. But, now they're going to have to figure it out. At least they have a little bit of time.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #407 on: May 09, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »

So the dice has been cast as to the expanded 2026 World Cup, going from 32 to 48 countries:

Europe get 3 more spots (13 to 16)
Africa gets 4 more nods (5 to 9)
Asia gets 3.5 more spots (4.5 to 8)
South America 1.5 more spots (4.5 to 6)
North and Central American 2.5 more spots (3.5 to 6)
Oceania guaranteed 1 spot (up from 0.5)
Last 2 spots determined in a play-off in which Europe cannot participate

I think it is a complete joke that Europe only get 3 of the 16 additional spots. What in the world has Asia done to basically double their participation??

Rumor mill is that the combined hosting proposal from US-Canada-Mexico will be tough to beat. Why oh why does this need to be a combined bid by the three countries, spreading out the WC over such a huge area (roughly 7.5 million miČ)? I guess this is to make up for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar (all of 4,468 miČ, or about 0.06 percent of US/Canada/Mexico)...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #408 on: May 09, 2017, 07:03:31 PM »

I reckon Asia is getting those spots because it (especially China) has become influential in the buying of top flight European players to play in their leagues. Money talks, as we've seen with Qatar.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #409 on: May 09, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »

and, remind me, what has China done in the WC?

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #410 on: May 10, 2017, 08:36:35 AM »

and, remind me, what has China done in the W/C?
Wouldn't know. Never followed them in there.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #411 on: May 10, 2017, 09:24:31 AM »

and, remind me, what has China done in the W/C?
Wouldn't know. Never followed them in there.

*rimshot*
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #412 on: May 10, 2017, 11:24:41 AM »

Does it really matter?  None of these teams should be in the World Cup.

The World Cup winner theoretically answers the question of who is the best team in the world, right?  How can you be the best team in the world if you are only the 16th best team in Europe?  You're not like, fourth where maybe you had some injuries or your team hadn't come together well or something.  You're sixteenth.

Make me a non-laughable argument that Republic of Ireland is the best team in Europe right now.  Not even the world.  Just in Europe.

I think that South America only getting 6 teams is a much bigger joke than anything else.  That is the same number as CONCACAF.  But since it's all a big joke, I just kinda find it hard to care.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #413 on: May 10, 2017, 02:06:40 PM »

I agree of course.

Rather than the WC trying to crown the best footballing country, let's say, for the sake of argument. that the WC is simply bringing together the best 48 footballing countries in the world, regardless of location. And let's say, for the sake of argument, that we find those countries as ranked on the FIFA world rankings (which I know is not the definitive barometer).

The current top 48 countries on the most recent FIFA world rankings are from the following regions:

Europe: 25 countries
Africa: 10 countries
South America: 8 countries
Central/North America: 3 countries
Asia: 2 countries

So... I totally agree with you that Central/North America and Asia are grossly overrepresented in the new allocation of slots, and conversely Europe and South America are underrepresented (but particularly Europe).

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #414 on: May 10, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »

But should that be FIFA's goal?

Ireland I think is #16 in Europe.  And China is #8 in Asia.  So that's the cut-off.  I think Ireland would destroy China (assuming China does not get away with cheating massively, which I'm pretty sure they would do) if they played each other.  But it's kind of hard to argue that there are more people interested in seeing Ireland in the WC than China.

I mean, you're not wrong.  There's something not right about how the honor of going into WC is not awarded by merit.  Or even if not merit at least according to some merit-related principle so at least the teams who qualify from the best regions, if not the best teams themselves.  But once you start taking 48 teams, merit just doesn't seem to matter to me as much.

I just don't see why they needed to expand the World Cup in the first place.  But if they expand it to include crap sides which have no chance of winning and would actually wreck it if they did, then I guess I don't have a problem with doing it to try and build a bigger audience.  But I would have strongly preferred they not change it in the first place.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #415 on: May 10, 2017, 03:33:04 PM »

I just don't see why they needed to expand the World Cup in the first place. 

I would have strongly preferred they not change it in the first place.
DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

But noooooo... expansion must and shall proceed at all cost. The same cost to hold the WC in Qatar, damned be all reason and sense.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #416 on: May 10, 2017, 11:07:24 PM »

It's a terrible sport, man.  Completely corrupt and/or incompetent in at every level, in every country.

If it actually made sense, would we love it as much?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #417 on: May 11, 2017, 09:45:33 AM »

It's like the bad girlfriend syndrome. The worse she treats you, the more you want her.

Or as in Morrissey's words: "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get"

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #418 on: May 11, 2017, 11:30:51 AM »

Made the winner's medals?
Opulence. I has it.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Up