Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your 2012 in a brief summary  (Read 1823 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Your 2012 in a brief summary
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »

so nobody took an exciting trip let alone even went out of their home state? 

Hehe. I finally satiated my desire of 10 or 15 years to visit Colombia, and I had a blast doing so and touring the country. But I don't think my trip outweighs my livelihood, so I would put that in the category of "lots of other positive memories" and let it at that.

wonderful!  the girlfriend and i went to colombia last year.  what did you see, cities?

We went to Bogota for a few days. Visited a friend, but otherwise felt like I never need to go back there.
Then we went to Cali for a few days. The least touristy place I've ever been, and after we figured out there was precious little to do there (from our standpoint) ended up having a great time just relaxing.
Then we went to Cartagena, and it was everything I've ever dreamed of in visiting an exotic city. It was absolutely stunning and beautiful and I want to go back there every year for the rest of my life.
We also took a day trip to Barranquilla which was a little strange, but fine.

You?

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 10:54:42 AM »

In 2012 I attended two academic conferences, two music festivals and two Olympic football matches, spent two amazing weeks in Canada, got my first smartphone and passed my first year viva (now I'm officially a PhD candidate, yay!)

Next year looks like it's going to continue the trend - more conferences, more festivals, getting my first guitar imminently. Hopefully learning to drive will also feature.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 09:16:28 AM »

so nobody took an exciting trip let alone even went out of their home state? 

Hehe. I finally satiated my desire of 10 or 15 years to visit Colombia, and I had a blast doing so and touring the country. But I don't think my trip outweighs my livelihood, so I would put that in the category of "lots of other positive memories" and let it at that.

wonderful!  the girlfriend and i went to colombia last year.  what did you see, cities?

We went to Bogota for a few days. Visited a friend, but otherwise felt like I never need to go back there.
Then we went to Cali for a few days. The least touristy place I've ever been, and after we figured out there was precious little to do there (from our standpoint) ended up having a great time just relaxing.
Then we went to Cartagena, and it was everything I've ever dreamed of in visiting an exotic city. It was absolutely stunning and beautiful and I want to go back there every year for the rest of my life.
We also took a day trip to Barranquilla which was a little strange, but fine.

You?

didn't get to see much of bogota.  stayed a few nights, would have liked to have seen more.  we overnight bused to a charming mountain town called salento.  we both loved it.  hiked in valle de corcora, which was breathtaking.  then manizales, nice, safe medium sized city.  nice architecture, sculptures, street food, and amazing churches.  my girlfriend's coworker's brother in law runs an adventure outfitter and we toured the volcano nevado del ruiz.  couchsurfed outside medellin in a mountain town caught a festival.  then it was choosing between cartagena and la guajira, the barren northern penisula.  we chose la gaujira and it wasn't a tough decision.  it was the best part of our trip even though we both got food poisoning and i shit my pants. 
poach eggs, not elephants

The Hegemo

• City Elder
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 10:23:47 AM »

My job, which had been going downhill since the 2010 election, turned completely nightmarish in 2012. Details can be found throughout the FABO thread. I managed to escape at last in November, on my terms -- i.e., into a new job instead of unemployment. Big pay cut, but so far I am just so happy to not feel angry and paranoid and resentful every single day. Looking up for 2013 on that front.

At the end of 2011, I got some bad health news, but turned it into motivation to change my lifestyle in terms of diet and exercise. Did really well on that front in 2012, felt like my health was under control. And then I sat on a tree stump for five minutes in October and wound up in the hospital for 2 1/2 days with a suspected brown recluse bite, infection that turned out to be an allergic reaction. Still recovering from that. But I've learned not to take my health for granted. And also not to sit on tree stumps.

I did do some traveling in 2012. At the end of January/beginning of February, I flew to New Haven, CT to visit a friend who is in law school there. I took the train into NYC for a couple of days, and had great, unseasonably warm weather, which allowed me to do lots of walking around. Walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. Had some great food. Bought a lot of books. Also got to watch my alma mater's hockey team beat Yale in OT. Fun trip.

In June, I drove up to the Adirondacks for a week. Visited the alma mater for the first time in several years. Hiked Cascade Mountain without bringing enough water. Went swimming in Mirror Lake. Drank beer, ate good food. Just a nice, chill week away.

Took some shorter trips, too. Ann Arbor for hockey camp. Pittsburgh for a GBV show, Windsor for a Tragically Hip show. Day trips to Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Athens, etc.

In July, a good friend from grad school came down for a week. It coincided with that big derecho that knocked out power to much of Columbus, so that messed up some of our plans, but we still had a good time.

My friend has gotten way into bicycling the past few years, so he dragged me around to bike stores. Which ended up being a great thing, because it planted the seed of getting a new bike in my brain. Which I ended up doing at the end of July. And it's been a great thing. I love riding my bike. I can't believe that something that makes you feel so childlike and free is socially acceptable for adults.

I continued playing a lot of hockey in 2012. My team won the league championship in the spring/summer session. The fall session was kind of a bummer. I missed half the games with tendinitis (acquired during the hockey camp in Ann Arbor) and the spider bite. We made it to the final, and lost in controversial fashion.

Read a lot of books, listened to a lot of music, had good times with friends. Bought an iPad and a new car. Election results made me really happy.

Less money and no vacation means that 2013 will involve a lot less travel and buying of things. But I'm feeling a lot more hopeful than I have in the past few years, now that my job is no longer killing me.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:28:16 AM by The Hegemo »
I am not a dude

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 12:54:28 AM »

Nothing much really. Those of you who know me from Facebook have figured out by now my two coworkers across the cubicle wall retired a year ago. It should be quite noticeable that my work rants have subsided quite nicely in my Facebook feed. I've taken on their responsibilities but it's not been as overwhelming as I thought. Just can't pay as much attention to detail as I once did. With tax revenues down, we only hired one person to fill the gap. I've become a kinda glorified fireman. Keep putting out the fires that show up in the inbox. Still no raise, but I guess at least it's work. A full inbox is job security.
Took two trips this year. One was the annual disc golf tournament in Columbia, Missouri. Been going off and on (mostly on lately) since 1984. Played in the old farts' division and came from behind to outlast the other old farts by merely not wilting in the 100 degree heat both days. I didn't think I won, but I wound up beating the next guy by about four strokes. I had an inspired last round. I love those courses.
The second trip was a 10 night stay on Anna Maria island on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I've found my retirement locale, and I may wind up moving there sooner. I planned to do nothing for 10 days, and I accomplished just that. Ten nights, nine sunsets. Dang clouds on the last night. I have never seen anything as sublime as a full moon setting over the Gulf. Plus, after owning one since I visited Cocoa Beach during Hurricane Hugo (1989?) I finally learned to body surf on my boogie board. The Gulf Of Mexico at Anna Maria is usually a big blue bathtub. Never see waves, but eight days in a storm was a-brewin' down south and the waves were up. The first time I caught a wave all the way into the beach I hit the sand just as an old couple was walking by. I just looked up at them and said "I wanna do it again, Mommy!" She laughed and he kinda gave me the eye. Nine sunsets, one full moonset, and two days of great waves and all I can think of is getting back to the Island.
There was a couple staying at the hotel, and the old boy gave me some advice. He said the best way to enjoy a vacation is "don't make any plans unless you change your mind." I had to tell him this was my second straight year of doing just that. No plans. Bought a cheapie beach umbrella, sat out for hours and watched the dolphins, manatees, and seagulls. Plus, I recognized a couple other folks from the previous year, and we're starting to get to know each other.
I reserved my room for next year while I was there.
Anna Maria is kinda set back away from the touristy hubbub of the rest of Florida. It's Old Florida with a slight nod to tourism and its condos and stuff, but there are no store chains on the island, and they have strict environmental laws to protect the sea life along the sandbar. So there are no parasailing rentals, no loud boats, and relatively few touristy water sports. It's kinda peaceful and out of the way, and I'm gonna move there some day soon. I guess I'll have to start flying out to Columbia every year once I move down there.
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »

The second trip was a 10 night stay on Anna Maria island on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I've found my retirement locale, and I may wind up moving there sooner. I planned to do nothing for 10 days, and I accomplished just that. Ten nights, nine sunsets. Dang clouds on the last night. I have never seen anything as sublime as a full moon setting over the Gulf. Plus, after owning one since I visited Cocoa Beach during Hurricane Hugo (1989?) I finally learned to body surf on my boogie board. The Gulf Of Mexico at Anna Maria is usually a big blue bathtub. Never see waves, but eight days in a storm was a-brewin' down south and the waves were up. The first time I caught a wave all the way into the beach I hit the sand just as an old couple was walking by. I just looked up at them and said "I wanna do it again, Mommy!" She laughed and he kinda gave me the eye. Nine sunsets, one full moonset, and two days of great waves and all I can think of is getting back to the Island.
There was a couple staying at the hotel, and the old boy gave me some advice. He said the best way to enjoy a vacation is "don't make any plans unless you change your mind." I had to tell him this was my second straight year of doing just that. No plans. Bought a cheapie beach umbrella, sat out for hours and watched the dolphins, manatees, and seagulls. Plus, I recognized a couple other folks from the previous year, and we're starting to get to know each other.

Good for you Russ! I just got back from my second annual Christmas break stay at Ft. Myers Beach, and I had just about the same experience as you did. Did nothing except reading while on the beach and enjoying the sunset every evening, of which I never tire. Already looking foreward to doing it nagain in 2013, and I'm pretty sure that's where I'll end up retiring, once I get to that stage.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »

Good for you Russ! I just got back from my second annual Christmas break stay at Ft. Myers Beach, and I had just about the same experience as you did. Did nothing except reading while on the beach and enjoying the sunset every evening, of which I never tire. Already looking foreward to doing it nagain in 2013, and I'm pretty sure that's where I'll end up retiring, once I get to that stage.
D00d, we'll have to hang out. We'll be retiring about 75 miles apart. :)
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 12:48:17 AM »

And we may have passed each other as I'm in Bonita Springs right now.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »

Negatives:-
- Dad's accident in August and the whole scary scenario thereafter
- My continued ill-health thanks to misdiagnosis & other factors
- Lu's ill health
- The ludicrous costs resulting from our ill-health
- The loss of a lovely friend to cancer
- Losing contact with three (considered very dear) friends, for reasons unknown
- The apparent inability to take any steps forward without always being forced to take two back

Positives:-
- Another Flying Pig under my belt & 1250 walked miles for the year. All very much against the odds so a very proud achievement
- Being able to spend oodles of time with my oldest/bestest friends as a result of my imposed 4 months in England
- The fantastic patience, help, support, guidance and assistance those same friends selflessly gave me over & over again
- My Dad's neighbours. Fuckin' Grade-A stars the lot of 'em
- Seeing Southampton play at St Mary's no less than five times. Never witnessing a loss.
- Having the continued love of a fantastic & understanding wife

A Big THANK YOU to everyone who has supported Lu & me this year, plus wishes of love, health, happiness and laughter for 2013 to every single one of you.
Opulence. I has it.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »

2012 was meh.  Looking forward to 2013.  Here's my short summary:

- Enjoyed a luxury hotel stay at Palmer House in Chicago when we saw The Cult this year.
- Saw a couple shows at Starlight including Florence, who was better than I thought she'd be live
- Monthly (or so) sanity check with the KC-based WOXY contingency to play music trivia - don't know what I'd do w/o them!
- Got to meet another WOXY boarder who was in town this summer for a conference (and she played trivia w/ us!)
- Tried lots of new recipes and many more I'm looking forward to trying in 2013
- Been spending lots of quality time with the folks and miles on my car to prove it
(something's got to give here as being the only remaining kid to make decisions is not fun.  So thankful to neighbors who can take them to dr. appts and such.  Lots of guilt for not being able to do this.)
- Celebrated 1-yr anniversary at the top KC ad agency
- Volunteered at Harvesters

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »

Rather than focus on what a shit-storm 2012 was, I'll focus in on some highlights:

1) Fulfilling a goal I've had since 1989 when I saw the Stone Roses (twice and up close) at their homecoming shows in Manchester.  The they sounded great and the crowd was as much fun.  The experience really was something I'm am so happy to have been part of.
2) Spending time with Rafe and his family in Canterbury and in depressed corners of Hastings.
3) Hiking 8 miles through the hills, dales and fields of Shropshire.
4) My first Pyschfest and standing in awe of the Wooden Shjips live.  Even BJM were really good.
5) Those first two Reds playoff games before hope disappeared.
6) Adopting Yuri, a one-eyed kitten who is a bundle of energy and fun.
7) Dining next to Jarvis Cocker in the Bahamas.
8) The Oregon coastline and wineries in the Willamette Valley.
9) Having two members of the Dum Dum Girls smile at me.  Me, just me. 
10) A few friends had kids this year and it's been nice getting to know the nippers.
11) Since the tea house closed, I've been enjoying being in the kitchen more and more.  Not having to prepare for 75 people affords me the opportunity to spend more time with what I am making.  The results have been fun.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up