Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Bowie album March 12  (Read 2268 times)

Bubba McBubba

• Citizen
    • Place Logo Here
New Bowie album March 12
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »

March 12 in the U.S. that is.  Rest of the world gets it between the 8th and 11th, depending on country. 

Article and video for first single from the album here

cyclone

• City Elder
Re: New Bowie album March 12
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »

Bubba, are you down with side 2 of Low?
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

Bubba McBubba

• Citizen
    • Place Logo Here
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »

Bubba, are you down with side 2 of Low?

Ohhhhh yes, I am.  I know some don't care for how the album is divided between the two sides, but I think it works well having the shorter and mostly lyric-oriented tracks on one and the ambient pieces on the other.  It's almost like two side-length suites.  I didn't like how "Heroes" was sequenced with both types of tracks side-by-side.

You?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:24:14 PM »

I dont mean to interrupt between you two lovebirds, but I think Warszawa (from the Low B side) is one of Bowie's greatest tracks ever.

If you are into the Bowie ambient sound (which I definitely am), there is no better album than All Saints: Collected Instrumentals 1977-1999, which I assume you are both familiar with. It's the Bowie album (even if it is a compilation) from my collection that I play more than any other
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:26:04 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:39:06 PM »

I never liked Bowie all that much.  There are some songs and indeed whole albums of his I enjoy quite a bit, but in general I can kinda take him or leave him.  Nothing he put out would make my top 500 albums of all-time, though it's not like I turn off the radio when he comes on.  I just never really got the "genius."

But at some point in the last few years I put on a Bowie album and all of a sudden I was like "Whoa.  I GET this.  This is amazing."  And then for like two weeks I listened to Bowie's catalog constantly and I felt like I'd been a fool my whole life for not seeing it.  Then just suddenly, it went away.  I was in the middle of Heroes and someone cranked the "meh" up to 10.  i almost felt it in my head. 

Really weird.  Now he's the same ol' Bowie he's always been.  But anyway, because of what happened, I'm actually really looking forward to the Bowie album.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:51:33 PM »

Yeah, I've really come around on it in the past year or so.  To me side 2 has always just essentially been an Eno solo album - not a bad thing as big of an Eno fan as I am, but considering how masterful the first half of Low is (seriously - "Breaking Glass", "Sound and Vision", "Be My Wife") it never really clicked with me until recently.  The sounds themselves were obviously cool, especially with the krautrock influence, but it never really clicked.   And I agree regarding the spacing on Heroes.

I feel like Hunky Dory doesn't get enough love, probably my favorite after Low (slightly ahead of Station to Station).
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:34:07 AM »

The best song the band we hired for our wedding reception played all night was also the last.  Let's Dance.
smiley face

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 02:22:10 PM »

Not digging this new Bowie track that much.  Just sounds like a Heroes B-side to me.

bluebastard

• City Elder
  • No more Wilco
    • portfolio
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 03:02:40 PM »

Not digging this new Bowie track that much.  Just sounds like a Heroes B-side to me.

It sounds nothing like Heroes. Nothing. It's adult contemporary schlock. Has Bowie been completely off planet this past decade?

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »

Uh, well it is David Bowie. Heh.
smiley face

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »

it feels like an heathen b-side to me. it's not great, but bowie is royalty.
bongo hard or bongo home

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 10:08:01 PM »

Bowie would be rock royalty if he made twenty shit albums in a row.  Wouldn't change the fact that those twenty albums aren't shit, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up