Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change to EU copyright law shakes up industry  (Read 1016 times)

Bubba McBubba

• Citizen
    • Place Logo Here
Change to EU copyright law shakes up industry
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:36:01 PM »

EU law recently changed to extend copyrights from 50 to 70 years, but will only protect recordings more than 50 years old if the holders have actually released them in the past 50 years.

As a result of this, Sony met the minimum requirements to retain copyrights on a bunch of previously unreleased Dylan recordings from 1962 by issuing 100 bare-bones four CD-4 sets to a handful of record stores scattered across Europe.  As one can imagine, these sets are showing up for an assload of money on E-bay.  Here's a link to a Rolling Stone article about why Sony released the material in this manner.

But of more interest to me is the online-only distribution of six CD-length collections of unreleased Motown tracks from 1962.  These collections are available at Amazon and iTunes.  Steadily making my way through the glut of tracks and there are definitely some dogs, though I am largely happy and occasionally amazed.  I was especially surprised there are two collections of jazz, as I was previously unaware Motown had ever released any jazz.  Similarly, the label was definitely not known for its gospel, but the collection of the genre here is my favorite of the bunch so far.

And the most bizarre development as of late is The Beatles' "Love Me Do" single has fallen out of copyright protection in the EU
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:28:20 PM by Bubba McBubba »
Pages: [1]   Go Up