Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yo La Tengo - Fade  (Read 1431 times)

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Yo La Tengo - Fade
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »

Listened to P4K's advance stream. It sounded very nice. Excited to play this one on my turntable.

cyclone

• City Elder
Re: Yo La Tengo - Fade
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:01:51 PM »

There are moments that capture probably the closest "And Then Nothing ..." and "Painful" vibes since those albums were released (notably on tracks like Is That Enough and Two Trains).  It's pretty good, but they've never released a bad record. I'll even shill for Fakebook and Ride the Tiger.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:51:37 PM »

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:50:35 AM »

Listened to P4K's advance stream. It sounded very nice. Excited to play this one on my turntable.

I only listened one time (to date) but really enjoyed it.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:37:09 AM »

Yo La Tengo is such a weird band.  I can't honestly say I like any of their songs.  But I still enjoy listening to them.  There's just something that's charmingly ramshackle about them.  Like the way Ira Kaplan sings.  He's a terrible singer, but somehow that terribleness gives them  a comfy, lo-fi appeal.  It sounds like he's singing to himself while doing some kind of interesting hobby he enjoys like mounting stamps or tying flies or working a car. 

Anyway, this Yo La Tengo sounds pretty much like every other Yo La Tengo which is pretty good.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »

YLT is pretty close to a top 5 all-time band for me.

They were/are extremely consistent ... I mean, I'd put the album run from Painful through And Then Nothing ... up against just about anything (and Electr-o-Pura is even pretty overlooked itself).  And Then Nothing is pretty close to being a perfect record to me if it wasn't for the pandering closing track (and that's a shame because they have some absolutely killer long closing tracks spread out through the discography ... Blue Line Swinger, I Heard You Looking etc.)  The fact that the rest of the catalog is rounded out by gems like the great acoustic record Fakebook and even great recent records (I probably like both I'm Not Afraid ... and Popular Songs more than this new one since they balanced out the great Georgia ballads with the Ira guitar freakouts, but Fade is good too) is just icing on the cake.  I probably have to credit that "Big Sky" cover from the first album for introducing me to the Village Green Preservation Society as well, which went on to be a top 3 all-time album for me.  Only got to see them once, touring Popular Songs ... seeing Cherry Chapstick and Autumn Sweater live was one of the peaks of my live music experience to this day.  The band are really nice, solid people too ... made an effort to ask my friend how the drive was as he had seen/met them in a different town the night before.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

Fourthisto

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »

Been enjoying this one for the last couple weeks... nothing mindblowing, but a good listen. It's nowhere near as fun as IANAOYAIWBYA.
Pages: [1]   Go Up