Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II  (Read 3532 times)

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »

Street date: 2/5/13.

Got my advance download just for pre-ordering the record.  8)

Initial reactions are that this isn't as adventurous as the debut. You could say II is a more even album, but you could also say it's not as dynamic. Either way, they're doing something a little different from most others: Some unusual guitar work and effects mixed with tight percussion. I dig it.

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 04:28:36 PM »

I'll be sure to check this out. Really liked the first album.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »

it is on luisterpaal right now.
i need to give it another ride.
bongo hard or bongo home

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:27:19 PM »

i think i can say that i have no strong feeling either way.
they kind of carved out their own sound with the vocal and guitar treatments, but it doesn't have a lasting effect with me. it's all a bit surface-y.....but that's ok....there's is nothing blatantly offensive either.
bongo hard or bongo home

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 11:06:49 PM »

It's crap.  Not really worth even arguing about.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 07:17:19 AM »

Can't argue with that.  ::)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 07:28:55 AM »

Probably means I'll love it, so I'll have to check it out.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 02:01:01 PM »

Probably means I'll love it, so I'll have to check it out.

Nah.  Listen to Grouper instead, if you haven't already.  I definitely hate Grouper in a butter-will-like-this kind of way.  This one is just boring and forgettable.

virgil p colon

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »

I really like it. I agree that their sound isn't as interesting this time, but I think that's because I knew what to expect. Still a solid release though. For the record, I enjoy crap.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:20:00 AM by virgil p colon »

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 08:58:57 AM »

Have you listened to their debut? I'm curious what you'd think of that one.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »

The first one was too far outside my sweet spot for me to really connect with it deeply on a personal level, but I still enjoyed it okay.  I thought it was well-done and interesting and I could see why some other people really loved it.

This one just seems like a typical sophomore/follow-up slump to me.  They ran out of ideas or got a little bored and tried to switch things up. They tried to get a little more serious, but it just results in a long-ish stretch of same-y slow/mid tempo semi-melancholy songs that get really boring.  That first album had the odd moments of superpop blasts that gave it some life. 

Then they tried to get a little experimental and got a bit too far up their own asses and it didn't work at all.  Just sounds like random noodling trying to figure something out, which I think is exactly what it was.

The stuff (mostly on the earlier tracks) that retains the core of their sound from the first album is still good.  But you could just listen to the first album.  And I don't think that sound is one that will carry them for 3-4 albums because once the surprise/unique-ness is over its  just not exciting enough for me to need 30 songs like that. 

So they did need to introduce something new, and some of the sounds on the second half could eventually coalesce for them and work out.  It's just a little half-baked right now.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »

Nah.  Listen to Grouper instead, if you haven't already.  I definitely hate Grouper in a butter-will-like-this kind of way.  This one is just boring and forgettable.

You were right about this one.  Didn't even make it all the way to the end of the album.

Now I guess I have to check out Grouper?

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »

Halfway through Grouper now... and it is some of the most sparse recording I have ever heard.  It's extremely quiet.  I get what they are going for, very atmospheric... but can't say that I like it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »

Sorry about that. 

It definitely is kind of out there, but I thought someone with a little more interest in the ambient/experimental (because I have pretty much none) might be able to pull something out of it.  It probably needs at least 5 listens to get into it.  Of course I can't really recommend anyone do that since I myself hated it and barely made it through one.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »

Sorry about that. 

It definitely is kind of out there, but I thought someone with a little more interest in the ambient/experimental (because I have pretty much none) might be able to pull something out of it.  It probably needs at least 5 listens to get into it.  Of course I can't really recommend anyone do that since I myself hated it and barely made it through one.

It's actually close to my wheelhouse... but I kept waiting for it to kick in and something loud or interesting to happen, and it just never did.  I can't fault you for the recommendation though!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up