Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the joy formidable- wolf's law  (Read 1795 times)

twentyshots

• City Elder
the joy formidable- wolf's law
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »

if you want to cut to the chase and find the best part of this album, start at the unfortunately-named maw maw song and let it work itself into a lather. from the delicate harp intro, through the galloping first verse, to its totally satisfying bridge: "you want it all, you want it all, i know you do, i know you do, now, what do you want from me?"...it is just a gorgeous bit of songwriting.
too bad the heavy metal slave ship chant of a chorus that follows does everything it can to give all of that work an identity crisis.

that's kind of my attitude towards the whole album, really. it is full of a lot of successful vignettes, but they often struggle under the weight of their own majesty, urging to be something else.

i still like this album more than i dislike it, and it that isn't letting up, but i am forced to wonder what's keeping it from greatness....
if you read any of the discussion zafer and i had in another thread, i think we both make accurate points on why that is. the production has a different varnish this time around. maybe from a different studio on a different continent, it seems like more of an effort to bring in new instrumentation than in earlier work, to elevate its self-importance.
and mostly, these little flourishes don't bother me...a harp...some strings or understated synth.... they bookend most songs or strategically fill them out. those things are different, but not enough to tip the scales. it is, however, the band's need to push so hard so often that leaves many songs on the verge of interchangeable. slow build, wall of sound. repeat. even the breakdowns come regularly. the songs don't seem to wander much from that equation. their metronome has two speeds: pre-epic and epic.

but, as stated before, there is still an acid bubbling below that keeps these songs interesting. a guitar-driven grit that still dots your eye, and the energy, even if exhausting, wins the day. and there are several nice melodies peppered throughout; her voice does often offset that mechanical grind.
this ladder is ours and cholla are throwbacks at their core, and even the more ornate, like the turnaround/wolf's law still have enough appeal, despite their soaring ambition and hollywood end credits flavor.

B-

favs: this ladder is ours, the leopard and the lung, the bridge on the maw maw song (seriously).

bongo hard or bongo home

Fourthisto

Re: the joy formidable- wolf's law
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:10:51 PM »

I have instantly loved everything the band has done - up to this point.

This one is a yawner compared to the Big Roar and even all of the EPs. The rock might be there, but the arrangements just seem to be going through the motions - it's not as exciting or vast as their previous efforts. This is the definition of a safe album.

The mystery of what happened here is only eclipsed by how people can feel that this album is anything but forgettable.

This being said, I'm still looking forward to seeing them live again on the cheap in C-bus.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:48:40 PM »

I have instantly loved everything the band has done - up to this point.

This one is a yawner compared to the Big Roar and even all of the EPs. The rock might be there, but the arrangements just seem to be going through the motions - it's not as exciting or vast as their previous efforts. This is the definition of a safe album.

The mystery of what happened here is only eclipsed by how people can feel that this album is anything but forgettable.

This being said, I'm still looking forward to seeing them live again on the cheap in C-bus.

Yeah. We are on the same page here my pasty friend.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:07:40 PM »

This is the definition of a safe album.

it is safe in a coldplay/evanescence kind of way, yes...but forgettable? i agree it is a disappointment, but i think if it were done by someone else it would at least be intriguing, because it is better than coldplay and evanescence.
bongo hard or bongo home

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »

...and BTW, 4, if you are driving and have an extra ticket, i will accompany you to columbus where we can finally meet, only for you to realize 8 minutes into a 6 hour ordeal that you have made a horrible mistake!
bongo hard or bongo home

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »

i just got this and like what i hear.

not as impressive as tbr, but forgettable? hardly.

Fourthisto

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:32:41 AM »

...and BTW, 4, if you are driving and have an extra ticket, i will accompany you to columbus where we can finally meet, only for you to realize 8 minutes into a 6 hour ordeal that you have made a horrible mistake!

Gee whiz, when you put it that way, how can I say no yes maybe?

i just got this and like what i hear.

not as impressive as tbr, but forgettable? hardly.

It's easy to say something isn't forgettable since you just listened to this for the first time, Darth. Give it a month.
Pages: [1]   Go Up