Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Game Musings  (Read 21841 times)

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Random Game Musings
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:13:56 AM »

NERD ALERT.

After years of playing almost nothing but Magic the Gathering, I've finally cooled to the game. The SO and I are branching out into other games, mostly board and card. So far we've picked up:

Settlers of Catan - Fun, but not a lot of variety for just two players.

Fluxx & Martian Fluxx - I love how the complexity can grow until you're almost overwhelmed, and then you can wipe the slate clean, or just get rid of the parts you don't like. Never the same game twice.

Risk: Godstorm - I got so pissed playing this the first time. One single card undid all my careful planning. Second time was better, though. Rules are overly complicated and unclear, but with some house rule tweaks I think we could make it kick some ass.

Chrononauts - Cool time travel card game. Only played once so far, but had fun.

I just ordered The Lord Of The Rings: The Card Game (a cooperative game with cards that have very cool artwork and layout) and Eminent Domain (a sci-fi game not unlike Dominion).

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Random Game Musings
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »

Whhhaaaat?!? You're a M:tG player? Tell me! I loved loved loved that game in high school (1995-1997ish) but basically haven't played since. I have all my (better) cards in a drawer still and look at them every now and then but I don't know anyone that plays and all the rules and cards I have are from the 90s, so I'm a little outdated.

If I were to get back into it, is there a method you'd recommend? Is there an online version or something? I dunno... I'm just excited to talk about M:tG for a second even though I know you're trying to move on.

Settlers of Catan: Love this game, but you are right in that it's ideal for 3 players (or more if you have an expansion).

We love Cards Against Humanity for larger group gatherings.

Ticket to Ride is also a lot of fun.

There's a simpler and easier to learn game called Uptown that I enjoyed the one time I played it.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »

I first played in the late 90's / 2000. Temptest / Urza's Saga era. But I dropped it as I was poor and my small playgroup went in different directions. Picked it up again a couple years ago when I discovered some recently made friends also played, and so quite by accident got my SO into it.

There haven't been many core changes over the years, at least in terms of casual play. What they have done is make the card layout much cleaner, and added new things like Equipment (artifacts that attach to creatures like enchantments, but can be moved around). Every expansion introduces a new mechanic: Some are cool, some are stupid, most are just kinda there.

The biggest change is that fact that nowadays you typically get more bang for your manna. What cost 7 manna back in the 90's now only costs about 5, and there are plenty of 3 manna cards that put old 5 ones to shame. I suspect this is because the game has become much more geared towards tournament play.

As far as getting back into it goes, I recommend the happy happenstance I encountered: Finding friends who are more up to date. ;) But you can play online, though I never have. If we lived closer together I'd be up for meeting up. I still like the game, I'm just exploring what else is out there. Besides, CCGs are expensive.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »

Have you tried Munchkin? That's a fun game.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »

Have you tried Munchkin? That's a fun game.
You know, that does look fun. Thanks for the reminder.  :)

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 01:53:57 PM »

If you like Fluxx you should check out We Didn't Playtest This At All.  It is a card game where you can literally win on any turn.  The cards are thing like "Take a vote, if Yes wins, you Win, if No wins, you lose" (there are probably 5 or 6 vote cards to that you never know what you are voting on).  It is just completely insane and you never know exactly what the hell is going on.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »

I just ordered The Lord Of The Rings: The Card Game (a cooperative game with cards that have very cool artwork and layout)
Ooh, also, if you are into MMORPGs at all, you should come and join me in Lord of the Rings Online  ;)

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »

I just ordered The Lord Of The Rings: The Card Game (a cooperative game with cards that have very cool artwork and layout)
Ooh, also, if you are into MMORPGs at all, you should come and join me in Lord of the Rings Online  ;)
Vile temptress!

What sort of time commitment is involved? Can you play for a few minutes here or there, or do you need to sit down for extended sessions?

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »

LotR Online?  I maxed out a Dwarf Guardian in that game a while back.  Not a bad game, but I couldn't keep paying for the premium account.  Good stuff though.

And you want a nerd alert?  A few certain dudes and I have recently brought our Star Trek: Customizable Card Game back out of storage to play.  For some reason it's more fun now than it was 12 years ago.
smiley face

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »

LotR Online?  I maxed out a Dwarf Guardian in that game a while back.  Not a bad game, but I couldn't keep paying for the premium account.  Good stuff though.

And you want a nerd alert?  A few certain dudes and I have recently brought our Star Trek: Customizable Card Game back out of storage to play.  For some reason it's more fun now than it was 12 years ago.
Played that once. The kid who showed me how to play DESTROYED me. Could have been a fun game, but it was hard to tell from that particular experience.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

Well, to tell you the truth, it's almost too complicated for its own good, which is why the manufacturer tried to make an entirely new 2nd edition.  We don't care about the complications, and I think it makes it more fun.  You can (somehow) still buy nearly any of the cards you want.  Interesting how we stopped playing a decade ago but were able to pick right back up where we started.
smiley face

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 07:00:04 AM »

Vile temptress!

What sort of time commitment is involved? Can you play for a few minutes here or there, or do you need to sit down for extended sessions?
It's F2P, so you can play as much or as little as you want. The first four zones are free, the rest of the quest packs (and other things like extra inventory bags, trait slots, etc.) have to be bought with Turbine Points (TP) or via subscription ($100 per year or $10 per month, I think). You can buy TP with real money or earn them (slowly) in-game. So far, through various expansion pack sales on Steam and elsewhere, I've shelled out a total of 45 and have unlocked nearly all the quest packs, loads of extras, and I have more than enough TP to buy the last bits I need. Not bad for over 200 hours played and counting.

The storyline is really good - you play in parallel with the events of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, up to Rohan so far. The game world is also amazing and incredibly detailed. If you want to try it out, join the Withywindle server and give me a shout!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »

x2. Sooooooooooo much fun!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 01:06:35 PM »

x2. Sooooooooooo much fun!
x3. My kinda irreverence. Totally makes me LMAO
Opulence. I has it.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »

CAH is on the want list.

Update from the first post:

The SO and I have played Eminent Domain four times now. I love it, and she's into it, too, which helps. Coming off of MtG I love playing a game where there's nothing you can do against the other players. You're just competing to reach a goal first. It's a simple game to learn, but it's multi-layered and so much fun.

I'm having a great time learning The Lord of the Rings Card Game. It's a lot of fun to play, and hard as fuck to beat. The base game is for 1 - 2 players, so I can play by myself and not feel like a total loser.

It's very exciting where boardgaming has been going in the last ten years or so. Everything I ever knew about board games is decades out of date. There's so much going on, and I'm having a blast discovering it all.  8)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up