Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Game Musings  (Read 20890 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Random Game Musings
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »

As the resident urban planner on this board, I have to ask: is that a game about urban planning?!?!?

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »

Urban in the galactic sense of the word. In the game you build a galactic empire by taking over planets, sometimes peacefully, sometimes not so much. It's sort of like a sci-fi version of Dominion.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 02:57:56 PM »

Yeah, I could have just looked it up. Looks great.... I might buy it. Hmm.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »

It's sort of like a sci-fi version of Dominion.

Whoa.  I'm watch ST DS9 right now.
smiley face

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 04:50:35 PM »

I'm glad I was scared away from buying Sim City 4 right away.  It is apparently horribly broken right now.
smiley face

Fourthisto

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »

I'm glad I was scared away from buying Sim City 4 right away.  It is apparently horribly broken right now.

You're welcome. And it's not just "right now", either. Wow did they mess this up.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 05:56:37 PM »

I bought SimCity 4. I played it for a while - built a number of cities...even had a few different girlfriends build cities, but eventually got tired of it and moved on. It was nice that they were finally incorporating neighboring cities into the patterns of the residents, but I admit that I did not realize the level of this until right before I became interested in something else. I never really took advantage of it, but that was how I would have been able to unlock the Spaceport bonus which is what I really wanted. I remember something like the need for 25,000 high tech industrial jobs to get that, and I could never get more than 20,000 even though my city tile was completely built out. Alas - if only I had had the patience to keep playing, that would have been how to do it.

SimCity 5 looks like a mess, though.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 08:39:36 AM »

For some reason, they underestimated the number of people that would try to log on to their servers.  They forgot the number of Sim City fans.  Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to remember.  Did no one learn from Diablo 3?  (which, btw, is another game I changed my mind about)  The worst part is, there should have been an option to play offline.  Playing Sim City with other people is a great idea, but when every other title in the series has been single player up until now, why would everyone want to suddenly play it online? 
smiley face

Fourthisto

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 08:49:38 AM »

Call if "Final Fantasy XI"-itis.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »

Board Game Geek is a great resource for finding reviews and game info even if the site's a bit busy.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 09:00:22 AM »

Played Elder Sign for the first time this week. It's a dice game based on Cthulu lore. I was doubtful at first -- dice games seem rather silly to me -- but I liked it a lot. Being a cooperative game I enjoyed working with the other players to achieve goals. I'd definitely play it again.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 08:11:31 AM »

The current favorite game in our house is Sentinels of the Multiverse, a cooperative card game where you play as comic book super heroes fighting a super villain in some strange (and deadly) setting. There are several different heroes, villains and environments to choose from, so no two games are ever the same. It is corny and silly and tense and so much fun.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/102652/sentinels-of-the-multiverse

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »

The SO and I have played Eminent Domain four times now. I love it, and she's into it, too, which helps. Coming off of MtG I love playing a game where there's nothing you can do against the other players. You're just competing to reach a goal first. It's a simple game to learn, but it's multi-layered and so much fun.

I never told you but I got this as a gift due to your comments about it. We've played it three times I think? I like it, but I suspect I just want to like it, so that influences me. We collectively still have no idea what good strategies are, and everytime we've finished a game we have no idea who was winning until we started counting. Thanks for the recommendation, though!

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »

I'm impressed anyone gave it a shot based on my comments. I have influence! And hey, influence points are how you win in that game. ;)

For strategies you can focus on one method for acquiring points. You could try to get only planets and tech cards that support producing and trading resources. Likewise, you could focus on the military (or colonizing) aspect of the game in order to acquire more planets faster. After a few turns the Research cards become quite powerful at adding stronger cards (some will have influence points) to your deck, while at the same time allowing you to strip out the weaker starting cards that might be slowing you down. (We often find the Survey cards start to clutter up the deck about halfway into the game.)

Part of the reason we like it is we like games where you build up things in play. Magic's great because you can play around with different synergies as you get more cards in play. The aforementioned Sentinels has some fun combos. The list goes on.

I'm glad you gave it a try, but I'm sorry it didn't really work out for you. There are tons of hobby games out there, so there are probably some better suited to your interests. Board Game Geek is a great resource. You can read reviews and comments about any game to get a sense for whether it might be something you'd like. Seriously, you name it, and there's probably a game for it: Winemaking, importing/exporting, fighting off infectious disease, monsters stomping around in Tokyo... Modern gaming is quite the experience.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 05:06:25 PM »

Oh no - you needn't apologize for anything. I'm quite pleased with it and like playing it. We just don't play games that often, so the fact that we've played it a few times is very good. Sorry that I implied I wasn't happy with it - I totally dig. The first time we played it was a bit of a mess as we had trouble understanding the rules, but we are much better with them now and the games go faster.

I do like the way you build a deck, and I think the concept of building a deck is really cool. I'm just still very much a beginner and feel stupid. I'm looking forward to understanding the nuances better.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up