Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Game Musings  (Read 20607 times)

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: Random Game Musings
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »

Well, hey, glad I misunderstood!

If you like the mechanic of deckbuilding you may like Dominion, the game that started it all. It is insanely popular in the gaming world. We like it well enough, but it's not a go-to game for us. We find ED more interesting, what with all the fiddly bits and such.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »

i'm addicted to civ 5 gods and kings. haven't ponied up the cash for the brave new world dlc that just came out. probably won't for awhile.

it's one of those turn based strategy games and once i start a game, i can keep playing for hours. that's why i only start about one game every three weeks during the summer. less often during the school year.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 01:11:35 PM »

Oh man, the hours I spent playing Civ 4 and Beyond the Sword.  I have 5 also, but something was different about it.  For some reason it didn't seem as epic.  Not sure why.  Of course I don't have either of the expansions.  Do they add a lot to it?  And around how much are they anyway?
smiley face

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »

The 2nd Civ V expansion just came out, I think this and Gods & Kings are both about $30.

We are still trying to learn the first expansion, but we are serial game starters... often don't finish a game, and by the time we get around to playing again, it's 3 weeks later and we'd both rather start fresh than trying to figure out what was going on in the last game.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »

it's one of those turn based strategy games and once i start a game, i can keep playing for hours. that's why i only start about one game every three weeks during the summer. less often during the school year.
Have you tried XCOM: Enemy Unknown? Seriously, seriously addictive.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 10:16:13 PM »

Have you tried XCOM: Enemy Unknown? Seriously, seriously addictive.

nope. one addiction is enough.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 10:21:26 PM »

The 2nd Civ V expansion just came out, I think this and Gods & Kings are both about $30.

We are still trying to learn the first expansion, but we are serial game starters... often don't finish a game, and by the time we get around to playing again, it's 3 weeks later and we'd both rather start fresh than trying to figure out what was going on in the last game.

i cant figure out how to do the multiple quote thingy.....

if you like playing civ, head to the civ fanatics forums. i don't post there, but mine the threads for strategies to play the game better. each xpansion pack is 30 bucks. i just upgraded to g&k, so i'll wait for awhile before i go with bnw. 

if you have the inca, play them on a highland map and build the crap out of terrace farms - more food, and build roads through hills - half cost or free, i can't remember at the moment. i'm due for another game soon. big fan of the inca.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 09:42:32 AM »

Random Game Musing:

My PS3 was stolen a few weeks ago, so I can't play anything on that anymore.
I'm almost done mastering the not-exactly-challenging Mario Kart Wii.
I think I'm done with FM2010 (finally? It's been 4 years).

My plan is to wait until the PS4 comes out before I buy a new system.
I assume I'll buy FM2014 when that comes out, although we'll see.

In the meantime...what should I play? I have a PS2, SNES, NES, and a computer at my disposal.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »

If you have a computer, play The Walking Dead.  You can get it on Steam pretty cheap now.  It is easily one of the best games I have ever played.  It is probably around $20 or so, and it is well worth it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:42:12 PM by dirk »
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »

Talking of zombie games, we just bought The Last of Us yesterday and I'm already in love. It's the first game I've ever encountered where I'm content to watch someone else play without getting bored.

Dan, what PS2 games have you got? I've had a really weird craving for Tony Hawk's Underground recently. Ico is still a fantastic game if you can find it.

Computer-wise, there's an MMORPG called Rift that has just gone free-to-play. Or you could play Lord of the Rings Online with meeeeee.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 03:45:15 PM »

Recently learned, and played several times, a game I had been hearing about for a while: Betrayal at House on the Hill. It's a board game you play in two parts. In the first part everyone plays explorers who are, well, exploring a huge old abandoned house. Tiles make up each of the rooms, and get placed as you explore, so no two games will have the same layout. As you move into rooms you find items as well as omens. With the omens comes an ever increasing chance of beginning the Haunt, this being the second part of the game.

When the Haunt begins one or more explorers turns traitor (ie, possessed by the house) and tries to kill off their up-until-very-recently friends. There are 50 different haunts, so you could play dozens of times in a row and not have the same game twice.

We're having a lot of fun with this. It's a bit like an RPG for non-RPGers.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 04:05:25 PM »

Recently learned, and played several times, a game I had been hearing about for a while: Betrayal at House on the Hill. It's a board game you play in two parts. In the first part everyone plays explorers who are, well, exploring a huge old abandoned house. Tiles make up each of the rooms, and get placed as you explore, so no two games will have the same layout. As you move into rooms you find items as well as omens. With the omens comes an ever increasing chance of beginning the Haunt, this being the second part of the game.

When the Haunt begins one or more explorers turns traitor (ie, possessed by the house) and tries to kill off their up-until-very-recently friends. There are 50 different haunts, so you could play dozens of times in a row and not have the same game twice.

This sounds super fun to me!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »

That sounds amazing. Like an extreme version of Cluedo or something.

Question: is there much difference between editions, do you know? The one I found on Amazon is the second edition and describes itself as an "exciting refresh".
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 04:12:53 PM by lutz »

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 05:30:26 PM »

That sounds amazing. Like an extreme version of Cluedo or something.

Question: is there much difference between editions, do you know? The one I found on Amazon is the second edition and describes itself as an "exciting refresh".
I understand the second edition fixes some typos and misprints. For example, there are three floors in the house: Ground, Upper and Basement. One of the rooms is an Underground Lake. In the original edition you could place it in the Upper floor or the Basement. They fixed that to just the Basement. I'm not aware of all the differences, though, having only played the second.

One physical flaw with the game is the plastic chits you clip to the character cards to keep track of stats. They tend to be loose and easily moved by accident, making it easy to screw up your character's current stats. We haven't done research yet on easy ways to fix it. For now we're just being super careful.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 05:32:47 PM »

This sounds super fun to me!
It's a blast. There isn't much strategy until the haunt begins, but exploring the house is wicked cool in and of itself. The first part is almost entirely random, but it does a great job of setting the stage for the second part.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up