Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Game Musings  (Read 21833 times)

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Re: Random Game Musings
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY1KHTFkJhg

Superfight...

I knew I would like the game when I tried to make a case that my Statue of Liberty, who is sticky from head to toe and afraid of water could defeat a priest wearing a feather boa who could sing Beatles songs at will.

So what if she's on an island, she has reach advantage.

That sounds awesome and hilarious.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2014, 01:29:41 PM »

Full disclosure: we've now run 5 games of SETTLERS OF CATAN (which I got for Christmas), and I haven't even come close to winning.  Alex has won 2, C-Fan has won 3.

Can't figure out if I'm just bad at it, or am getting bad dice rolls.  Maybe a combination of both.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2014, 10:38:22 PM »

Full disclosure: we've now run 5 games of SETTLERS OF CATAN (which I got for Christmas), and I haven't even come close to winning.  Alex has won 2, C-Fan has won 3.

Can't figure out if I'm just bad at it, or am getting bad dice rolls.  Maybe a combination of both.
Strategically your most important choice is getting settlements and/or cities built on numbers that come up frequently. As long as you're placing on 5s, 6s, 8s, and 9s more than 2s, 3s, 11s, and 12s you've done everything in your power to achieve victory. The rest is luck of the roll.

This is my main complaint with the game. It feels too much like Monopoly. Roll the dice and hope for the best.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »

Finally got round to playing through TellTale's Walking Dead. The ending left me blubbing like a baby! I don't know why it seems to be zombie games that have the best voice acting and storylines recently. Both The Walking Dead and The Last of Us had some seriously good emotional sucker punches, and despite perhaps not having the most compelling gameplay they both immediately made it into my all time Top 10.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »

I tried out 7 Wonders a couple of weeks and quite liked it. It seems like there's a lot of strategy and different possible methods of victory. Needless to say, I didn't win, but after spending a couple of hours figuring out the process I think it's a game I'd like to play again.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »

I tried out 7 Wonders a couple of weeks and quite liked it. It seems like there's a lot of strategy and different possible methods of victory. Needless to say, I didn't win, but after spending a couple of hours figuring out the process I think it's a game I'd like to play again.
Great game with a huge learning curve cliff. When I learned it I played three times in a row, and still wasn't entirely sure what I was doing. A while later I played a couple more times and it finally clicked. Now I find it's an incredibly easy game to play, just very tricky to win. Every choice you make has to take your opponents into consideration at least to some degree.

We just got the Leaders expansion and can't wait to try it out. I've played it before, but it's been months.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »

Yesterday I learned Regatta, a sailboat racing simulation game. It has some fiddly rules it took me a bit to get used to, but once I did the game was a lot of fun. In the pic I'm in first place (green), but I was in last place when the leader crossed the finish line. Tight game.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2014, 04:49:37 AM »

Tomorrow is International TableTop Day! Get out there and play some games!  8)

http://www.tabletopday.com/

Wil Wheaton-approved.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2014, 08:44:06 AM »

Oh, Hwill Hweaton?
smiley face

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »

Double Dubs!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »

There were about a dozen of us over the course of the day, and here's what we played:

Tsuro * Player elimination in what I believe is a Japanese sand garden.
Suburbia * Tile placement game where you build up your own bit of suburban sprawl.
A La Carte * A game about cooking. Much more fun than I expected.
Click Clack Lumberjack * Hilarious game in the "genre" of Jenga.
Castles of Burgundy Fantastic tile placement dice game where you build up your medieval estate.
King of Tokyo King-of-the-hill style dice game. You play as giant monsters. Very silly. Very fun.
Bananagrams * Intense Scrabble.
Goa * I've only played the one time, so not sure how best to describe it. One of the heavier games we played.
Letters From Whitechapel Semi-cooperative where one person plays Jack the Ripper and the others are the police trying to catch him. Essentially a more sophisticated version of Scotland Yard.
Star Trek Catan Settlers of Catan and Star Trek. What more can you say?
Forbidden Island Cooperative game where you play as explorers trying to find the four ancient relics before the island sinks.
Macao * Medium-light euro where you're trading goods in medieval Europe. Has a fun twist of a mechanic that decides what kinds of actions you get to play each round.
Alien Frontiers Worker placement with dice, set on another planet. One of the first games I played getting into the hobby last year.
Hanabi Haven't played this one, but I understand it's a coop about putting on a fireworks display.
Puerto Rico Haven't played this one, either, but it's a classic euro game.
The Little Prince "Kid's" game based on the book. Very screw-your-neighbor-y.
Concordia * Resource management game set in the ancient Mediterranean. There's a board, and some cards. The cards give you points, but the amount of points they give depends on your control of the board. This one's all about striking a balance.

(* I played these.)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Random Game Musings - PS4 edition
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2014, 11:46:33 AM »

I know I'm over a year late to the party, but I have fallen in love with "The Last of Us." It took me a LONG time to get into it, but once I did the game has just become incredible. Part of it was that I switched from Normal mode to Easy mode and then suddenly the game started moving along - I got tired of repeatedly dying and redoing things. But then the Easy mode is a little too easy, so I recently switched it back. Maybe I have better gameplay skills now, though, so we'll see.

Regardless, the story about Joel and Ellie is great and I can't wait to see what happens next. I enjoy the character development (actually, I wish it was better and deeper, but that's not a knock) and I think I dig the setting /environment. The game is beautiful and conceivably realistic, which is nice.

Highly recommended, and special thanks to lutz for recommending it to me when I asked her for a good game to play.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »

Awesome, glad you're enjoying it! - I'd been meaning to ask how you were getting on with it. The gameplay is really intense sometimes, but the story is soooo good. The multiplayer is quite fun as well and similarly intense. The first time someone gets the jump on you and shivs you in the neck, or brutally smashes your face in with a 2x4 as you try to crawl away, is quite a shock.

I recently played through Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons again to finish the trophies, and it made me cry all over again. Such a beautiful game - both visually and emotionally.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »

Here's my random game musing of the day: I cannot overstate how happy I am that game graphics have developed to the point where I can see Nathan Drake's chest hair rippling in the wind. *swoon*
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up