Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Game Musings  (Read 4547 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Random Game Musings
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »

Gah. I have yet to play any Uncharted game, and I even had a free one for a while. I suck.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »

I know I'm over a year late to the party, but I have fallen in love with "The Last of Us." It took me a LONG time to get into it, but once I did the game has just become incredible. Part of it was that I switched from Normal mode to Easy mode and then suddenly the game started moving along - I got tired of repeatedly dying and redoing things. But then the Easy mode is a little too easy, so I recently switched it back. Maybe I have better gameplay skills now, though, so we'll see.

Regardless, the story about Joel and Ellie is great and I can't wait to see what happens next. I enjoy the character development (actually, I wish it was better and deeper, but that's not a knock) and I think I dig the setting /environment. The game is beautiful and conceivably realistic, which is nice.

Highly recommended, and special thanks to lutz for recommending it to me when I asked her for a good game to play.

Annnnd... I finished the story line last night. What a story, what a game. I was a little sad that it was over so soon. I am likely going to go back and play a few of my more favorite "boards" again but I don't think I will keep playing too much longer. We'll see...maybe, but I do want to move on to GTA5, so that will probably call my name before long.

It's too bad because I was finally getting good at the controls and figuring out how to use the controls effectively and some of the weapons, etc. I will miss Joel and Ellie - they had become good friends.

Also also... was it me, or does the Assault Rifle suck? I swear I would unload 40 or 50 rounds into some guys and they were still alive. I would switch to a regular gun and they were dead in one shot.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »

Don't forget the DLC story, Left Behind! It's included for free with the PS4 version. I haven't actually played it yet because I want to play through the main story again first, but the thought of going through that basement level again fills me with so much dread...

Oh yeah, also, you definitely have to play The Walking Dead if you haven't already. Also has a wonderful story, full of agonising decisions and "Holy shit, I can't believe that just happened!" moments. I just started the second season and it looks like it's going to be as good as the first, happy days :)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2014, 12:59:30 PM »

Hah, the basement level in the hotel in Pittsburgh? That was the level that caused me to switch the difficulty from 'normal' to 'easy.' I got out of it on the first try when I did that. Then I forgot to change it back for a while, although I did eventually. I recommend doing the same - it's not worth it.

I going to play the Pittsburgh's suburbs level on Normal again, and then I'll play Left Behind I guess. Then I'll probably move on to GTA5.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2016, 12:23:08 PM »

I went looking for a city building game for my tablet. You know...SimCity style something or another.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone played any of the below?

I downloaded Megapolis because it was reviewed okay. It's...okay. Kind of annoying because they want me to work with other players to donate resources. It's also a Freemium game and I'm not sure that I want to spend potentially unlimited money on a game. I also don't like how I don't get to do zoning - if I want an apartment complex I just build said apartment complex.

There's also SimCity: Build It but I don't trust the SimCity brand anymore. Not after what they did with SimCity5. Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts about this? There's a lot of advertising for it, which makes me think it's Freemium, too.

And what about Cities: Skylines? I keep seeing this and seeing recommendations for it, but I'd rather hear someone describe it and say they have played it. Is it any good?

Ideally what I'm looking for is an old console game: pay up front, then get the whole game. I am fine with the new Freemium business model (hell, I've been on Clash of Clans for two years), but for this I seem to be leaning back toward old-school.

Any help?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:24:56 PM by Dan »

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2016, 07:34:16 AM »

I have not played Cities:Skylines, but have kept up on it because I was very interested there for a time.  I heard the main complaint was that the game was ALL about traffic.  But that since the initial release, there have been mods released that can turn the difficulty of traffic management up or down to your taste. 

Also, that it's not as much a game as it is a sandbox.  With SimCity (the older versions), there were always money goals, population goals, etc... but that with Cities, there is not much of a "challenge".

Now, with it having been out for nearly a year at this point, I imagine there are tons of mods for it that can fine tune it to your taste.  By the time I get around to pick it up, I imagine they'll be ready with the sequel.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up