Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Library talk  (Read 13573 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Library talk
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »

Haha. There is a book exchange on the shelf next to my desk (started before I worked here) that is essentially the same thing. Since it's adjacent to me, I tend to overanalyze what is in there. Obviously, the good stuff goes quickly and people bring in the crap that they don't want anymore. So the library steadily devolves. Still...it's fun.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 06:55:08 PM »

Our library in Newport has what they call "honor books," which are free and you don't have to check them out nor return them after a certain amount of time. you can keep them forever if you wish.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »

at my old workplace we had a book exchange shelf in our library, but only two people used it. we eventually gave all the books to the county library book sale.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 12:19:56 AM »

There's a glass case with honour books in it on Fairfield Avenue in Bellevue! Just on the sidewalk, "take what you want to read".

This honour book thing is one of the things that never ceases to amaze me about America. I think its fair to say that if something similar were to be offered in England, petty hoodlums would have set the books alight by now. Or turned them into missiles to fling at passing cars.
Opulence. I has it.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »

The annual book sale (which includes a/v) starts on Saturday, 9 am and continues until next Fri.

I went Saturday afternoon and was surprised at the lack of crowd for the first day it started. I hadn't been to the main downtown sale in a couple years but remember going early on the first days before and it being packed. I mean, there was a nice crowd there, but for example when we checked out, there was no one in line for the cashier for about twenty minutes or so.

It was a lot different than I remembered a few years ago ... the volume of original/collectible books they have for sale now is pretty impressive. I also couldn't help but think what a utopia it would be for people with more mainstream tastes that will probably never visit ... if someone was interested in things like uber-cheap graphic novels from the big two comic companies or TV shows on DVD. As per usual my best finds where buried in the boxes underneath the tables that didn't make the displays.  I was especially happy that I found this in a said box ...

last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 12:40:48 AM »

Cincinnati Library users--rejoice.  Your DVD/VHS fines will now only be 20/day instead of $2/day.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 01:06:17 PM »

In a meeting today, I asked how YBP's DDA MARC FTP records would look in our III ILS.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:32:25 PM by foolsgold »
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 02:28:06 PM »

Cincinnati Library users--rejoice.  Your DVD/VHS fines will now only be 20/day instead of $2/day.
Rejoice? I think the REVERSE. Removing the killer penalty of $2/day takes away a significant stimulus people had to turn in their DVDs on a timely basis... I personally think this move's a big mistake.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »

Euro, I actually agree with you but I'm just forced to implement what the powers that be decide.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »

I kind of love the idea of someone making an archive of movie scenes filmed in a library. How is Slimer's first appearance in GHOSTBUSTERS not on here yet?

http://www.youtube.com/user/LibrariansVanity
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »

There's a glass case with honour books in it on Fairfield Avenue in Bellevue! Just on the sidewalk, "take what you want to read".

This honour book thing is one of the things that never ceases to amaze me about America. I think its fair to say that if something similar were to be offered in England, petty hoodlums would have set the books alight by now. Or turned them into missiles to fling at passing cars.

My daughter's school is talking about setting up one on the edge of campus and filling it with children's books. It's an excellent idea.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »

I'd say that's probably what would happen in 95% of the neighborhoods in America as well.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »

Thank you for your advice guys! I was able to ILL the book and it's arrived. Thank you so much!

Thank you again for the advice guys. We made a copy of the thesis and then had that bound nicely. We gave it to my friend a few weeks ago and she actually started tearing up as she was reading it. Obviously this was very meaningful so thank you so much.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »

Thank you for your advice guys! I was able to ILL the book and it's arrived. Thank you so much!

Thank you again for the advice guys. We made a copy of the thesis and then had that bound nicely. We gave it to my friend a few weeks ago and she actually started tearing up as she was reading it. Obviously this was very meaningful so thank you so much.
Super-duper-cool! What a fantastic gift.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »

When asking a library listserv for ways to recycle about 2700 withdrawn STEM titles from the 1910's-1960's, here is a sampling of really bad advice:

1) Make something crafty out of them, like purses or tables.
2) Send them to prisons or to an African village.
3) Why are you trying to recycle books?  Libraries should be stewards of the printed word.
4) Freecycle or Craigslist.
5) Find someone interested them.

When I reframed my query again mentioning the 2700 out-of-date titles and needing it done in as few steps as possible, the lightbulb went off and I got this advice:

1) Make something crafty out of them, like purses or tables.
2) Send them to prisons or to an African village.
3) Why are you trying to recycle books?  Libraries should be stewards of the printed word.
4) Freecycle or Craigslist.
5) Find someone interested them.

Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up