Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Library talk  (Read 16596 times)

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
Library talk
« on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »

Feel free to post any library related stuff here.

A buddy working at the library has started a CD of the month program that sounds pretty neat.  Basically, you enter some information about your personal music tastes here and, each month, the staff will pick out something for you that maybe you haven't heard before.  And, they will ship it to your local branch.  It sounds like a neat outreach program and can't wait to see what they select for me.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: Library talk
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »

That's a cool idea!

I've been enjoying my little local library since getting home, but will be having to get into the Atlanta system soon. I'm hoping it's good!  I know lando gets lots of movies from the library there.

At my old library, one of the librarians did a yoga class on Wednesday nights. It was fantastic, and maybe the thing I miss the most about living in NC.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »

That's a cool idea!

I've been enjoying my little local library since getting home, but will be having to get into the Atlanta system soon. I'm hoping it's good!  I know lando gets lots of movies from the library there.

At my old library, one of the librarians did a yoga class on Wednesday nights. It was fantastic, and maybe the thing I miss the most about living in NC.
Hey. I get books too. :)
I'm out in the Cobb County system. I have no clue what the system is like in the City of Atlanta. But, hopefully it is comparable.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:14:26 PM »

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »

Ethan was skipping lunch to help the librarian earlier this year.  He also loves reserving and checking out books at the local library, then he will read about 20 pages of each and decide it's time for video games.  He listens to audiobooks on CD in his room to go to sleep at night.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »

Wow.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »

That hair is amazing!!
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 09:36:08 PM »

With my swankety new job, one of the perks after I get off probation is tuition assistance for any school in the Georgia system. As an employee, I get FREE classes (provided there is room), up to 9 hours a semester. So now I'm thinking that that MLIS I've wanted I can get! Valdosta State has an online program that is accredited by ALA.  Something to look forward to for next year!

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 08:02:36 AM »

With my swankety new job, one of the perks after I get off probation is tuition assistance for any school in the Georgia system. As an employee, I get FREE classes (provided there is room), up to 9 hours a semester. So now I'm thinking that that MLIS I've wanted I can get! Valdosta State has an online program that is accredited by ALA.  Something to look forward to for next year!

YAY!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:00:19 AM »

YAY!!
x3!!!! That's a fantastic perk!

foolsgold

• City Elder
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »

If any local library workers hear of any jobs coming up or like me enough to put in a good word, it'd be much appreciated.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:24 AM »

Those of you who have Cinti library cards....today (May 15) is Fine Amnesty day.  If you owe any fines (items returned/renewed late), your fines will be forgiven today.  All you need to do is log into your account (looking at it is all that is needed) or call your local library.  This is the first amnesty day in over 25 years.

Also, if you are not aware of our newish interlibrary loan options, we joined a group called SearchOhio that gets you free interlibrary loan materials from many other public libraries in the state as well as all the Ohiolink libraries (university/college). 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »

Hmmm... my friend's (deceased) father's thesis is in the archives in the UC system. I wonder if I can have you guys get it for her with that SearchOhio thingy. And how long would we have? Obviously we'd need to renew once or twice, but it would be a nice thing to do for her.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »

Hmmm... my friend's (deceased) father's thesis is in the archives in the UC system. I wonder if I can have you guys get it for her with that SearchOhio thingy. And how long would we have? Obviously we'd need to renew once or twice, but it would be a nice thing to do for her.
You'll want to contact the interlibrary loan people at your local library. They should/might be able to get their hands on it. However, if it's in the archives, it might be in a closed collection and unavailable for ILL. Can't hurt to try, the ILL people might be able to find a copy in another open collection.

foolsgold

• City Elder
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 10:39:43 AM »

You'll want to contact the interlibrary loan people at your local library. They should/might be able to get their hands on it. However, if it's in the archives, it might be in a closed collection and unavailable for ILL. Can't hurt to try, the ILL people might be able to find a copy in another open collection.

Or check the library's website.  Universities often digitize theses and dissertations (we're doing it now) to make them available online.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up