Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Library talk  (Read 20676 times)

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
Re: Library talk
« Reply #180 on: December 23, 2017, 03:16:55 PM »

FYI:  Columbus Metro, et al. have decided to delay their joining of SearchOhio to late January.  Not sure why it's taking them so long.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2018, 12:07:27 AM »

Columbus Metro went live last week....this added about 2 million records to the SearchOhio Catalog. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:02:15 PM by c-lando »
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2018, 10:17:45 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UsglJmevFM

Hoping every library ends up getting this for circulation...
The Mercantile Library here is screening this in April.  Unfortunately I will not be in town.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #185 on: April 11, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »

It's National Library Week and every year the library has a guess how many bookworms (gummi worms) there are in a tall mason jar.  It's probably my favorite student interactions of the year because I enjoy the amount of work they put into their guess.  For example, this morning a guy came in and ask me for a ruler.  He spent the next 5 minutes measuring, hefting, closely examining and counting all while writing down figures.  Once his inspection was finished, he went to a table and took another 5 minutes or so working through his calculations.  Proudly, he submitted his guess and walked out walking the walk of someone who knew that he beat the system.  After he was out of sight, I checked his calculations and he was off by over 300. 
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #186 on: April 11, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »

It's National Library Week and every year the library has a guess how many bookworms (gummi worms) there are in a tall mason jar.  It's probably my favorite student interactions of the year because I enjoy the amount of work they put into their guess.  For example, this morning a guy came in and ask me for a ruler.  He spent the next 5 minutes measuring, hefting, closely examining and counting all while writing down figures.  Once his inspection was finished, he went to a table and took another 5 minutes or so working through his calculations.  Proudly, he submitted his guess and walked out walking the walk of someone who knew that he beat the system.  After he was out of sight, I checked his calculations and he was off by over 300. 

This makes me smile. Thanks!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #187 on: April 11, 2018, 10:27:19 PM »

Iím gonna guess he was low?

foolsgold

• City Elder
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2018, 07:51:17 AM »

He was over.  I was just talking with a coworker and the guy has been in several times revising his guesses.  Each time, he adjusts his original guess by a dozen or so.  In a lot of ways, he reminds me of when I would take higher mathematic courses (geometry, calculus, trig) and would have an absolute blast working through the formulas.  However, pretty much every time I'd turn my test or homework in, my answers were never close. 
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »

So how many are in there?  Asking for a friend

foolsgold

• City Elder
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #190 on: April 12, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »

Guess. The worms are 4 inches long and the jar holds 64 ounces.

luisterpaul

• City Elder

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #192 on: April 12, 2018, 09:23:41 AM »

Guess. The worms are 4 inches long and the jar holds 64 ounces.
Butter prefers tin cans to jars. Next.

foolsgold

• City Elder
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #193 on: April 12, 2018, 09:44:05 AM »

On Getting Punched in the Face While Working at the Library (Happy National Library Week!)

Steve's a friend and the guy is an absolute treasure to the PLCH.  His ideas for outreach and engagement have been so well received in the system and are a ton of fun for the patrons.  He has hosted an experimental music night, has a CD of the month club and used to wander around the stacks wearing a gorilla outfit.  The good work he's done for the Price Hill library and for that community is truly amazing.  I'm not at all surprised by his reaction to the assault and the presence of mind to stand by his principles.  He's a great example and leader and someone I hope can continue to help steer public librarianship into this age.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #194 on: April 12, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »

On Getting Punched in the Face While Working at the Library (Happy National Library Week!)

Steve's a friend and the guy is an absolute treasure to the PLCH.  His ideas for outreach and engagement have been so well received in the system and are a ton of fun for the patrons.  He has hosted an experimental music night, has a CD of the month club and used to wander around the stacks wearing a gorilla outfit.  The good work he's done for the Price Hill library and for that community is truly amazing.  I'm not at all surprised by his reaction to the assault and the presence of mind to stand by his principles.  He's a great example and leader and someone I hope can continue to help steer public librarianship into this age.

That was a great read.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up