Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Library talk  (Read 16486 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: Library talk
« Reply #210 on: August 09, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »

Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #211 on: August 09, 2018, 02:15:16 PM »

When old is new again.  I, for one, am thrilled about this because I treasure my vinyl.    New vinyl being purchased...woohoo!

https://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/spotlight/newarrivals.asp?id=vinyl
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #212 on: March 13, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »

I just got my FOURTH library card last week!
- County I live in
- Town I live in
- Place I work (complete with JStor!)
and now...
- County I work in!

Yes, it's probably excessive, but I drive right past a Fulton County library on the way home, and have often wanted to have access to it so I could stop and browse/check out on bad commute days.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #213 on: March 13, 2019, 12:54:32 AM »

The more cards the better!
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #214 on: March 13, 2019, 08:00:04 AM »

The more cards the better!

CARDS *FOR* HUMANITY!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2019, 11:36:35 PM »

I have two library cards: one for the Cincinnati/Hamilton County library system, and one for the Lee County (Ft. Meyers, FL) system.

I have lived in Cincinnati for 32 years, yet it wasn't until I dated someone in the late 90s who opened my eyes to the library system. It opened a universe to me that I didn't even know existed. We eventually broke up, but it was the best gift she ever gave me. I go to the Blue Ash library a LOT.

As to the Lee County, Fl system: it floored me. I spend a lot of time there in the winter months. It is so much better than the Cincinnati system in so many ways. Spacious, modern, better organized, and lots of better computer access. Compared to that, the Cincinnati/Hamilton County system pales, frankly. Which is a surprise in so many ways, as the tax base here is so much larger.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2019, 10:06:43 AM »

WTF, Library???
I checked my online account yesterday and my hold queue for the digital library and the actual library are completely cleared. I thought it was a site issue so I decided not to sweat it and figured I'd log back in today and look at it. Yep, still all cleared out.

For giggles, I logged into the "classic" version of the website and it informed me that my card expired on 4/10/19. Why the hell would that make them remove all of my holds?  >:( >:( >:(

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2019, 10:35:09 AM »

Why do library cards expire?  That's my question.  I had to renew mine recently.  I can understand purging inactive users, but that certainly doesn't describe anyone in my household.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2019, 01:45:31 PM »

Why do library cards expire?  That's my question.  I had to renew mine recently.  I can understand purging inactive users, but that certainly doesn't describe anyone in my household.
I guess they want to make sure you're still a resident within their service area? Since they require something current with your address on it in order to renew your membership.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2019, 01:55:30 PM »

My library didn't validate anything.  I just handed them my card (actually my phone with the card's barcode on it) and they renewed me no questions asked.  I could have been Bonnie Prince Charlie for all they knew.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »

My library didn't validate anything.  I just handed them my card (actually my phone with the card's barcode on it) and they renewed me no questions asked.  I could have been Bonnie Prince Charlie for all they knew.
Then, no clue for your library. "We just want to be dicks?"

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2019, 03:23:21 PM »

Outside of shushing people and putting our hair in buns, there is nothing else librarians love to do than dream up ways to piss people off.  Next to overdue fines, the whole expiring library card is one of the finest examples of that.  The origins of this practice can be traced all the way back to the 14th century when, famously snarky Lady Chesty of Lanchestershireton tried to check out Chaucer's latest bestseller, A Seaman's Trail.  Piebald the Persnickety, head librarian of the Lickenton Over Harble branch library didn't like her attitude and denied the check out claiming her card was a fortnight overdue.  Although Piebald was beheaded later that day by Lady Chesty's husband, the Duke Fingerbottom, librarians throughout the country implemented this practice in protest. 

Widespread implementation of expiring cards occured after a a secret international cabal of librarians gathered at their annual gathering to discuss ways to annoy and frustrate their patrons*.  Like a literary pandemic, the practice soon spread across the land and, before long, became de rigueur.

* also discussed in this gathering: how to maximize discomfort in a library's seating options and packing card catalog drawers so tightly that they become functionally useless.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2019, 03:51:03 PM »

Outside of shushing people and putting our hair in buns, there is nothing else librarians love to do than dream up ways to piss people off.  Next to overdue fines, the whole expiring library card is one of the finest examples of that.  The origins of this practice can be traced all the way back to the 14th century when, famously snarky Lady Chesty of Lanchestershireton tried to check out Chaucer's latest bestseller, A Seaman's Trail.  Piebald the Persnickety, head librarian of the Lickenton Over Harble branch library didn't like her attitude and denied the check out claiming her card was a fortnight overdue.  Although Piebald was beheaded later that day by Lady Chesty's husband, the Duke Fingerbottom, librarians throughout the country implemented this practice in protest. 

Widespread implementation of expiring cards occured after a a secret international cabal of librarians gathered at their annual gathering to discuss ways to annoy and frustrate their patrons*.  Like a literary pandemic, the practice soon spread across the land and, before long, became de rigueur.

* also discussed in this gathering: how to maximize discomfort in a library's seating options and packing card catalog drawers so tightly that they become functionally useless.

GSPotD.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2019, 12:26:57 AM »

Our cards automatically extend for you every time you use the card, whether it be for checking out materials, logging onto a research database or anything else that authenticates use of the card.  The only cards we don't have do this are the people who are paying for the card and a couple of other cards that are short term or have special borrowing privileges.  The only way your card expires is if you don't use it for 5 years or you turn 18.  Our holds don't disappear either. 

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2019, 01:47:48 PM »

WTF, Library???
I checked my online account yesterday and my hold queue for the digital library and the actual library are completely cleared. I thought it was a site issue so I decided not to sweat it and figured I'd log back in today and look at it. Yep, still all cleared out.

For giggles, I logged into the "classic" version of the website and it informed me that my card expired on 4/10/19. Why the hell would that make them remove all of my holds?  >:( >:( >:(

I went in yesterday to pay my $2.10 in fines and renew my card. The lady looked at me like I was crazy when I told her that my holds had all disappeared. But, she took my money and renewed my card (just made me verify my name, address, and phone number verbally) and told me that she could renew my holds for me if I wanted. I told her that I had no idea what I had on hold and I'd have to do it myself at a later date. Just checked my account and all of my holds and checked-out items are visible again. So weird.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up