Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound City: Real to Reel  (Read 1243 times)

Fourthisto

Sound City: Real to Reel
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »

Q: How many well-known musicians does it take to make a collaboration album, taken from a documentary about a music studio, completely and utterly unlistenable?

A: 22.

Shame on you, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Pat Smear, Robert Levon Been, Peter Hayes, Chris Goss, Tim Commerford, Brad Wilk, Stevie Nicks, Rami Jaffee, Rick Springfield, Nate Mendel, Lee Ving, Alain Johannes, Corey Taylor, Scott Reeder, Josh Homme, Paul McCartney, Krist Novoselic, Jessy Greene, Jim Keltner, Trent Reznor.

Stop wasting our time.

Good day.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Re: Sound City: Real to Reel
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »

I thought the first track was pretty damn good, and the one with Trent Reznor isn't that bad. The rest of it is shit though.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:05:18 PM »

well that's a shame to hear. i'll still check it out.
bongo hard or bongo home

Fourthisto

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:00:06 AM »

I thought the first track was pretty damn good, and the one with Trent Reznor isn't that bad. The rest of it is shit though.

No it's not (oh so generic it doesn't even stack up to a BRMC B-side, you can tell it was put together in less than 24 hours), yes it is (about 4 minutes longer than it should be and vastly repetitive to a boring degree), and yes it most certainly is. (there is no diaper big enough)

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 03:58:06 PM »

i thought 4 might have been acting a bit...dramatic...with his first post, but there really isn't much that is interesting about this album.

i thought grohl gave a decent SXSW keynote speech and it got me in the mood to follow up and check out this soundtrack, but dang, i should have just spun some nirvana because this is a collection of very mediocre songs. it isn't surprising though because the foo fighters haven't ever caught my ear either (outside of everlong and my hero) and the reason is that grohl just isn't a very good songwriter. i don't mind that he is kind of a senior statesman of rock, that makes sense, but other than drumming for one of the most significant bands ever, he just doesn't have that spark of originality to make really intriguing music.

for historical purposes, i kind of like the notion that they wrote a song with paul mccartney, which is the best song on the album but only up until it gets annoying with the guitar seizure at the end. there is also something inherently comforting about hearing stevie nicks and rick springfield's voices, but it's not enough to bail out the sinking ship.
the trent reznor song builds ok, but when it ended i had no desire to listen again.
bongo hard or bongo home
Pages: [1]   Go Up