Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Strokes - Comedown Machine  (Read 1430 times)

euro60

• City Elder
The Strokes - Comedown Machine
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »

I have to say that I am quite surprised that the Strokes are issuing another new album. I thought they were done after the previous one, "Angles", from 2 years ago. It certainly FELT like they were done as that was mostly an uninspired and definitely an uneven effort. The cynic in me even thinks that they are simply sticking around to collect big pay checks at music festivals, and to be honest, I do not begrudge them the money at all, since they made little to no money when they actually mattered (2000-2003).

Anyone heard the new one yet? Official release date is March 26.

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: The Strokes - Comedown Machine
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:28:01 AM »

I thought Angles had some highlights, but it was definitely uneven.  I'll be checking this one out.  I liked the second single, but not the first one.  So, I'm envisioning more of the same.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »

Finally listened to it. It puts me to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I really don't understand why the Strokes are still making albums.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 10:13:22 PM »

The "career arc" article on Grantland.com about the Strokes was rather enlightening. I still love their first album, but in the end there was never much there and the article successfully points it out.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 11:54:03 PM »

I didn't read the article but they were def more than a "one album" band. The 2nd (from 2003) and 3rd album (from 2006) had their merits. They should've stopped after that.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »

They've always been a bit lacking focus and ramshackle-ish.  That's part of the charm.  Plus I don't think anyone wants to play the bratty, snot-nosed rich kid forever even if they are in fact bratty, snot-nosed rich kids.

From a talent/skills standpoint I think it's unfair to categorize them as one-trick ponies as I think Casablancas and Hammond Jr. are both excellent songwriters... when they feel like it.  On every Strokes album there's a real good song or two.  I just think they don't care enough and would sometimes rather be designing suits or dating supermodels or whatnot.  Hard to blame them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up