Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2013 Indie Summer series  (Read 808 times)

euro60

• City Elder
2013 Indie Summer series
« on: May 01, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »

The line-up has been announced for this year's Indie Summer series on Fountain Square. June 7 (WWPJ and TWEENS) looks the most interesting to me.

May 31: Pomegranates/Healing Power; The Yugos; The Never Setting Suns

June 7: We Were Promised Jetpacks; Tweens; Public

June 14: Seabird; Mike Mains & The Branches; TBA

June 21: Loudmouth; The Dopamines; The Lockland Brakes; BoyMeetsWorld

June 28: Psychodots; Cari Clara; The Ready Stance

July 5: Margot & the Nuclear So & Soís and Matt Pond with Matrimony

July 12: Plumb; more TBA

July 19: Wussy; Queen City Radio; TBA

July 26: Brian Olive and Man Halen with The Tongue & Lips

Aug. 2: The Seedy Seeds with TBA and the student band from Masonís School of Rock

Aug. 9: Archers Paradox; (headliner to be announced on June 2)

Aug. 16: Belle Histoire; Dept. Store Alligators; TBA

Aug. 23: Drew Holcomb & the Neighbors; Green Light Morning; TBA

Aug. 30: Why? with Vito Emmanuel and TBA

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

cyclone

• City Elder
Re: 2013 Indie Summer series
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »

Kind of odd how this almost entirely local now given the rapid momentum it seemed to be getting in recent years booking all kinds of national acts and upgrading the stage/sound system at the square.  Didn't some article even come out a few years ago about how it was on the cusp of booking a lot of legitimate national acts, and there was some "insider" poster on WOXY who apparently had a bunch of details but couldn't reveal them?  I mean, having it local-centric is still cool and it's a nice atmosphere, just would have never expected it to be reduced to such with the turnouts the last few years.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »

The funding for these shows has been split with all the new thi8ngs at Washington Park so yeah, not quite as spectacular. There are still going to be some good shows though.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:58:48 PM »

Found this picture and I recognize a couple of people.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 04:06:19 PM »

I found me. Looking at the shirt I'm wearing, this prob was a Bad Veins show.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

crewbilly

• Summer Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 06:06:07 PM »

I'm the guy in the blue polo by the rail with my wife. And yes it's was defiantly the Bad Veins show.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »

couple of things.....
i'm glad they are still running this series and wish them great success, but i honestly don't think i will plan to see any of these shows, except maybe WHY?, whose last album i wasn't even very fond of. like cyclone said, there just doesn't seem to be an effort to avoid repitition at this point.

also, pomegranates may be going off the rails. i was able to look past their outwardly christian overtones in the past because they were just such a solid band and the message, while always there, wasn't heavy-handed. i now see evidence of that changing. obviously their name is now healing power, which stinks a little of self-righteousness (and is just dumb compared to a perfectly good, established name) so i bet that is setting the stage for some good old fashion preachin' on the next album. i hope it is not the death of them.
bongo hard or bongo home

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »

I'll be at next Friday's show

June 7
10:00: We Were Promised Jetpacks
9:00: Tweens
8:00: Public

My daughter is good friends with TWEENS, and she thinks they are the real deal. I really couldn't get into them, just listening to their songs on the website, but maybe live it's a different experience.

TWEENS website: http://tweens.bandcamp.com/

I used to be into WWPJ but haven't heard much of them lately. Should be interesting.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 09:35:23 AM »

Public is not playing this week. Instead it's Scottish band and WWPJ labelmates PAWS.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/paws-mn0002985451

crewbilly

• Summer Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:47:12 PM »

I found Public pretty impressive Saturday while opening up for Bad Veins at SGR on Saturday. Kinda disappointed their not playing.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 12:58:12 PM »

I found Public pretty impressive Saturday while opening up for Bad Veins at SGR on Saturday. Kinda disappointed their not playing.
I understand they're playing another Indie Summer. Not sure which one yet.

Fourthisto

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »

I understand they're playing another Indie Summer. Not sure which one yet.

8/16.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:02:18 PM by Fourthisto »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 12:54:07 AM »

great evening at Fountain Square tonite... TWEENS is a fave of my daughter, who knows the band. I appreciate the band's musical talents, but their sound isn't really for me. We Were Promised Jetpacks were great. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up