Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the National - Trouble Will Find Me  (Read 2518 times)

Fourthisto

the National - Trouble Will Find Me
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:13:19 AM »

Oooooooh.

Tracklist:

01 “I Should Live In Salt”
02 “Demons”
03 “Don’t Swallow The Cap”
04 “Fireproof”
05 “Sea Of Love”
06 “Heaenfaced”
07 “This Is The Last Time”
08 “Graceless”
09 “Slipped”
10 “I Need My Girl”
11 “Humiliation”
12 “Pink Rabbits”
13 “Hard To Find”

Release Date: 5/21 on 4AD

Matt:

"For the past 10 years we'd been chasing something, wanting to prove something. And this chase was about trying to disprove our own insecurities. After touring High Violet, I think we felt like we'd finally gotten there. Now we could relax-- not in terms of our own expectations but we didn't have to prove our identity any longer."

cyclone

• City Elder
Re: the National - Trouble Will Find Me
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »

No expectations, as their post-Alligator output has been mediocre at best, but maybe I'll be surprised.  (HV was at least a million times better than Boxer even if it was still not in the same realm as Alligator and Sad Songs).
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

Fourthisto

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »

Agreed for the most part, but lately I think HV might beat out Sad Songs on my list... which kind of blows my mind. Maybe it's just because I've listened to HV about ten times in the last year, and Sad Songs maybe once tops. I need a revisit.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:47:36 AM »

I don't understand the love for these guys... they bore me stupid.  *braces for the beat down*

Creepy cover.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Fourthisto

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 10:36:47 AM »

Fair enough. No one is going to make you "get" the National. Just like no one's going to make this dog get that there's no glass in the door anymore.

But you think that cover is CREEPY? This is what I take exception to!!  >:(

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »

Well I am excited. I have liked every album they have produced...each one grows more and more upon listen. Speaking of which, I am know I am bad, but I STILL need to buy tickets to Bunbury so I can see these guys.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 11:59:10 PM »

I am know I am bad, but I STILL need to buy tickets to Bunbury so I can see these guys.
You Bad, Bad, Bad
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 07:53:15 PM »

Agreed for the most part, but lately I think HV might beat out Sad Songs on my list... which kind of blows my mind. Maybe it's just because I've listened to HV about ten times in the last year, and Sad Songs maybe once tops. I need a revisit.

It has it's moments for sure (Convo 16, Lemonworld, Sorrow are my highlights), but when the sub-Boxer middling "I know we've been a rock band in the past, but you know how we collaborate with and tour with other NYC indie artists with a neo-classical influence?  We can do that too, here's some random piano lines, brass and an unneeded horn section set to cliche sad lyrics" stuff kicks in it that is supposed to sound anthemic still makes me think it might be their last listenable album.  None of the ballads work for me, just like on Boxer, whereas they had absolutely nailed them in the past.  I also pretty much hate the rhythm that the majority of the lyrical content has fallen in, with the depressed, mellowdramatic content that I guess is supposed to augment their current persona.  That stuff is fine in itself, but it used to be done with creativity as opposed to it being the default norm.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Fourthisto

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:45:47 AM »

Ten songs in on my first listen... and it's just alright. Seems like of like a sleepy, low-key cold rain in Autumn album. I was hoping for more than this.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »

It's on par with the self-titled in badness.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Fourthisto

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »

None of these songs "pop" and stand out from the rest... What happened here?
Pages: [1]   Go Up