Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Depeche Mode - Delta Machine  (Read 1543 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Depeche Mode - Delta Machine
« on: March 30, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »

Finally listened to it. Gore and Co. should be ashamed to put out such a lame album. One somewhat decent song on it. ONE! In the pre-release buzz, it was either Gore or Gahan who said that the new album was a return to the sound of "Songs of Faith & Devotion", and I was a bit intrigued (as that is my all-time favorite DM album), although still sceptical. Well, "Delta Machine" sounds NOTHING like "Faith & Devotion"!

Depeche Mode should stop making new albums, seriously.

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: Depeche Mode - Delta Machine
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »

I am also disappointed by it. I Like a couple of the tracks, but overall it's too mellow.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »

yeah. i keep giving it a chance but it's falling short.
there is a certain evenness to it that doesn't do it any favors.
the one standout for me, alone, seems to have more distinct synthesized sounds in it, which is what depeche mode SHOULD be about. these days they don't seem to be trying too hard to find the interesting electronica that put them on the map in the first place.
bongo hard or bongo home

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:35:59 PM »

I don't think it's that bad, but I always thought DM was somewhat over-rated in the first place.

Their lyrics has always been shit, and their themes rather schmaltzy and OTT.  This album is no different, so it's a little odd for me to see critics go after them for that, as some have.  The best thing about them has always been the sounds they make, and that doesn't necessarily mean snyths.  I think they do some cool stuff on this album.  There's some interesting textures and whatever that I think suit their sound without being the same old samples of pipes clanging.

It's not great, and it's maybe not anything the world needed to hear.  But I gave it a couple of spins and was mildly entertained for that duration which is how I've felt about them since Music for the Masses, really.

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:49:14 AM »

Seeing as this has always been one of my all-time favorite bands, I hesitate to rush to judgement but based on my second listen, I have to say that I am underwhelmed and disappointed. In fact, the only track that stood out to me was the song on the second disc, Happens All The Time. Definitely needs more time spent to get a better feel as I have only listened while at work and I don't really consider that a fair listen since I only half listen to the music anyway when I listen at work. But yeah...I am starting to think that maybe their best years were the 90s.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

Fourthisto

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:20:48 AM »

I'm enjoying it more than "Sounds of the Universe" and "Playing the Angel", but you guys are right, it's a far cry from their peak releases... but that ship sailed long ago.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »

If you think about it, the last 20 years have become so.... predictable. An album like clockwork every 4 years, then a tour, then a year of two of 'down' time, and repeat again. And again. And again.

1993 Sounds of Faith and Devotion
1997 Ultra
2001 Exciter
2005 Playing the Angel
2009 Sounds of the Universe
2013 Delta Machine

The steep drop-off in quality after Ultra leaves me scratching my head.  
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 10:18:08 AM »

It used to cost a lot of money to own an Emulator, or an Oberheim or a Prophet.  Sampling was something that was new, so no one had ever thought to bang two pipes together and make a sound and then a song out of it.

Fast-forward to 2000.  Anyone can own an Emu, DX-7, Prophet, Korg, Roland for peanuts.  Or well, really for free since they just pirate it.  And you can program loops and trigger samples on your PC if you spend maybe a week learning Pro Tools or Ableton or whatever.

That is what happened to Depeche Mode.   Back in the 80's it used to be "HOLY SHIT!! HOW DID THEY DO THAT?"  They lost that factor, so their songs have to stand on their own... and they're nowhere near good enough.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »

a perfect example of that would be the scissors you hear in blasphemous rumors. it works in the song, doesn't feel gimmicky at all, and when you find out that it is in fact scissors, you're like "no way!, that's cool".

i don't expect DM to do that forever, but so often older acts just get smoothed out to the point of a safe blandness. there lacks a youthful energy.
bongo hard or bongo home
Pages: [1]   Go Up