Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze  (Read 1408 times)

cyclone

• City Elder
Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:45:17 AM »

So, SRFMH was my AOTY when it came out, and I like a lot of KV's older stuff as well (especially Childish Prodigy).

I was really anticipating this one although my standards were really high after Smoke Ring.  I don't know if I'd necessarily call it either a disappointment or a misstep, but due to the format he went with it seems really bloated and I think it'd be more accurate to say that I think he's trying to do much here.  I don't think the new format really works to his favor, a classic Vile song in the standard 3-4 minute mold can be so addicting and just right (and I say that as someone who's favorite song is Ghost Town, the long-ish closer from the last album).  But with half of the songs on here at 6+ minutes, I really don't think it works.  The previously released 9-minute title track is a doozy, but elsewhere it's underwhelming.  Take for example "Too Hard", which seems like it might have been an otherwise perfectly solid track with strong lyrics, but going the full eight minutes in length ends up turning it into a real clunker that messes up the flow of the album.  Still, there are flashes of brilliance sprinkled throughout, I also didn't really think the length effected "Was All Talk", which might be favorite song on here at the moment, and "Girl Named Alex" is also really strong.  It's the type of album that you simply expect to grow on you upon the first couple listens but I can't say it sounds all too promising to me despite not really being bad in many regards at all.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 07:46:09 AM »

I don't normally go for albums with an average song length of 6+ minutes as I tend to get bored. This one's a bit of an exception, however. Pretty much the entire album sets up a consistently enjoyable tone. My attention may wander, but I find I'm still grooving to the music when it comes back.

Fourthisto

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:25:05 AM »

The new, longass songs sounded great while relaxing in the grass in the California Sun a few weeks ago. I think it's an enjoy outdoors during Summer kind of album.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:03:29 AM »

Exactly.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »

I feel like a lot of people who weren't really big KV fans coming in are really enjoying it because of the breezy nature. Which is fine. It has grown on me a bit ... I've been playing "KV Crimes" a ton lately. Just still think it's a considerable step down from SRFMH and Childish Prodigy due to the second half dragging.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

Fourthisto

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »

Just still think it's a considerable step down from SRFMH and Childish Prodigy due to the second half dragging.

I hear you on this... but you don't really notice the drag if you're in a hammock sipping a lemonade in between naps.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up