Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: GeoGuessr  (Read 4807 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: GeoGuessr
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »

That session's total was 25,737

It's really a game of 'who has the most patience' although I've certainly learned a lot while playing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:12:33 AM by Dan »

Fourthisto

Don't call it a comeback.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:33 AM »

Amateurs.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:52:24 AM by Fourthisto »

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 12:01:11 PM »

Oh wow, Orlando.  THAT'S hard.
 ::)
smiley face

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 12:50:13 PM »

I can't figure out the point system-- obviously, it's more points for being closer to the spot, but I got 1500 points for one that I missed by a continent!

Fourthisto

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »

Yeah, it's some weird formula with the km involved...

Oh wow, Orlando.  THAT'S hard.

That's what Gimli said.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 04:10:22 PM »

I can't figure out the point system-- obviously, it's more points for being closer to the spot, but I got 1500 points for one that I missed by a continent!
And why is the max score 6479? Arbitrary much?!

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 12:16:06 AM »

Saw the XKCD comic, huh? ;)
Actually it was from a friend's post on Facebook.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:23:46 AM by Ella Minnow Pea »
also known as rcc94

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 10:31:56 AM »

Wow Ella - you have some legit patience. Nicely done.... wait... you got an AIRPORT!?!? That's almost cheating.

Anyway, this has been quickly blocked by my IT dept. Boooo.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »

So I was going along last night for a couple hours.  Got the first 4 done, never being more than 100m off, which was great considering half of them were in the middle of freaking South African desert and freaking Saskatchewan.  The fifth was somewhere in a town in Russia, which was a problem when I realized they had no English words to give me clues, or even landmarks, but I did narrow it down based on some license plates.  I was about ready to give up and guess, and.......I accidentally closed the tab.

So yeah. 
smiley face

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »

The fifth was somewhere in a town in Russia, which was a problem when I realized they had no English words to give me clues.
You mean you didn't spend half an hour translating stuff from cyrillic? I saw what I thought was a road sign with a number, painstakingly translated it... turned out it said "Offices to lease, 300 sq. m."

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »

Oh I saw road signs for sure, but I couldn't even begin to know how to translate them.
smiley face

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »

You mean you didn't spend half an hour translating stuff from cyrillic? I saw what I thought was a road sign with a number, painstakingly translated it... turned out it said "Offices to lease, 300 sq. m."

Try being dumped in rural Japan.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Homsar

• City Elder
  • It's personal.
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »

Heck I even took a long time finding out exactly where I was in Mississippi.  And did you know there's a Loxton in South Australia AND South Africa?  that threw me for a while.
smiley face

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »

I just tried playing.  They dropped in front of a giant sign that said "Welcome to Ketchikan, Alaska."  I turned around and there was a building that said "Ketchikan Visitors Bureau" which was actually noted on the Google map.  So I got 0 km.

I was like, "This is stupid.  I don't understand this game."

Then they put me on some road in some place with no cars, no buildings, just a road that went on forever and ever through a vaguely desert-ish area.  After going down the road a bit, I was like "This sucks."  So I stopped.   

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »

When the first one of those examples happens, I get excited because it's so easy and I can move on. Namely, because I feel like most of the time I end up with the second example.

It gets pretty hard even when you're not in the middle of the Outback. I was dropped into rural Alabama and that got challenging. Or suburban Texas was tough, too, because it's all chain stores.

As far as I can tell, Google has sent three different technologies out in their vans. In NYC, round 1 was in 2007. Round 2 in 2009. And then Round 3 in 2011.

If I get a Round 1 camera everything is pretty blurry and the details are hard to read. Round 2 allows more zooming, and Round 3 even MORE zooming and details are very easy to pick out.

If you get dropped in a place that is rural or exurban and only has a Round 1 camera - it can take a LONG time until you can find something searchable.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up