Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cat Thread  (Read 22093 times)

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: The Cat Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »

Drooling can be a sign of mouth issues. My cat has bad teeth, for example. If you haven't already mention it to your vet next time you're there. Just to be on the safe side.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »

Oh, thanks. He only does it right when I get home or when I wake up and only for a moment or two. It's like he's so happy to see me that he can't contain himself.

I'll bring it up next time I'm at the Vet.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »

I'll bring it up next time I'm at the Vet.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »

I had a cat that drooled when he purred. No mouth problems, just too stupid to do anything about it. But it doesn't hurt to ask!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »

Murphy has had teeth extracted, and the doc says he drools because of the missing teeth. Usually he drools when he's getting lots of petting or belly rubs.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 09:53:23 PM »

If it weren't for the bipeds and canine, I'd probably qualify as crazy cat lady.  As of right now we have four. Anyone who's been to our house can attest that while they aren't attention whores they won't hide under the bed either. 

Blanche (part of our Golden Girl cats) is a beauty, a bitch and I tolerhate her. 
Mina has some sort of pschyosis and neurosis.  She's weird, but smart and can be sweet.
Barry (aka Bunny Boy) is a bobtail ginger sweetheart with falcon claws. He's a lap cat, but will climb your leg like a cliff to get there.
Betty Rose (aka Betty Sketti, The Beast, Batface Betty) is our big girl filled with chill.  If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be her.  The only attention she seeks is from the dog who is her BFF.  He's the only one that makes her purr.  She never seeks our attention (unless it involves catnip), but never hisses, scratches, bites, or shows any more resistance than walking away if approached. 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 10:11:56 PM »

Betty Rose (aka Betty Sketti, The Beast, Batface Betty)

Somehow in all that I read it as "Beastie Betty" and started singing Beastie Boys songs.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 10:36:44 PM »

Twizzle and I play a game when I come home from work.  I've got a picture window in my bedroom that he sits in.  He sees me pull into the garage and waits for me there.  I wave to him and when he sees me move toward the door, he jumps down from the window and runs through the house to meet me at the door.  The game is to see if I can get the door open before he gets there.  At other times, he is always waiting for me at the door. 

And my last cat drooled all the time.  He had no dental issues at all, he just drooled when he was super happy and purring. 

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 11:16:18 PM »

My cat Mimic has no drooling issues, just throw-up issues. No matter what different kind of food I give him, every few days or so, he just throws up. In the beginning (I got Mimic 3 1/2 years ago from the shelter when he was about 2 yrs. old) I was kinda mad at him, but now, I realize he can't help it. It just happens. It's terror on my carpet, but every 6 months or so I have a professional carpet-cleaning crew come in and the carpet looks like new. Anyone else have a similar issue?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 06:47:11 AM »

Euro, one of my coworkers has a kitty with a similar problem. She was a stray/shelter cat and regularly eats her food too quickly then promptly throws it all up in the other room. For her, it's all psychological, she thinks she's got to eat all the food because someone might steal it. Maybe Mimic has a similar bent?
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 07:09:48 AM »

I have a cat that eats too fast and often throws up after. A couple things you can try:

- Put the food in a larger, flat dish. This spreads the food out so the cat is less likely to get as much with each bite. It forces them to only take a couple bits at a time.

- If you can, spread the feedings out over the course of the day: A little bit several times a day as opposed to all at once.

I haven't tried the first, but the second has helped a bit with my vomiting cat.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 07:36:02 AM »

Euro, one of my coworkers has a kitty with a similar problem. She was a stray/shelter cat and regularly eats her food too quickly then promptly throws it all up in the other room. For her, it's all psychological, she thinks she's got to eat all the food because someone might steal it. Maybe Mimic has a similar bent?
This. A friend took in a stray who would do this too. She would absolutely vacuum up her food as soon as it was placed in front of her, and within half an hour it would be all over the floor. And then she'd re-eat it. And sometimes vomit it up again. And re-eat it again. Ick.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 09:47:33 AM »

We are all old? I don't know how talking about Cats makes us old, but if you say so...

Have you ever seen a family buy a cute kitten for their small children as a present?  No, it's always a puppy.

Have you ever heard of "Crazy Old Dog Ladies"?  No, it's always Crazy Old Cat Ladies.

Cats are the pet of choice for old people.  I have one, so I'm not judging.  But it is irrefutable fact, so let's just all accept it and move on.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »

I don't know about that. I can think of lots of counter examples. My g/f's 7 year old niece is getting a kitten. And there is a crazy old dog lady who sits on the bench of the park I walk by to-and-from the subway with her dog. I'm pretty sure she's greek, I'm pretty sure she's crazy, and I'm definitely sure she's old. And she's out there ALL THE TIME. Not so much in the winter, but she's out there with her dog (probably a golden retriever mix but I'm not sure of my dog breeds) almost any nice-ish day there is.

My sister got two cats as pets in her mid-twenties. She doesn't have any kids, but I don't think mid-twenties is old.

I don't know why you're being grumpy, but I'll get off your lawn now.
:P

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »

Cats are the pet of choice for old people.  I have one, so I'm not judging.  But it is irrefutable fact, so let's just all accept it and move on.
Have you been getting enough fiber? You seem a bit bound up. But, then again, my bursitis is acting up and I missed my stories today so I'm a bit pissy.

Insert witty phrase or quote here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39   Go Up