Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cat Thread  (Read 22906 times)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: The Cat Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27:58 PM »

I've had to put two to sleep, one was about 15 and the other 13. The first one had kitty cancer, and after a month of giving him fluids subcutaneously, I took him to the vet and they took care of it.  The other had tumors compressing her lungs, nasal cavity, and abdomen. She sounded like Darth Vader when she breathed. I had long consults with the vet over her-- got good advice on what to do and when.

I put her to sleep in part because I didn't want to come home one day and find her gone.

My vet said to expect about 20 years on an indoor cat... mine were young in comparison.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »

We have a few mobile vets around here which would provide that service.  My last cat had to be put to sleep because he was very ill.  He was already at the vet, so it happened there, and I was with him.  He was wrapped in a towel and I took him home that way.  Then my father buried him for me in my back yard.  You can have pets cremated if you wish.  I'm assuming costs vary, but as he'd been so sick, I was not charged anything.   There's at least one mobile vet in your area that has some information.  You might also check with your own vet to see what kind of services they offer.  http://capitalhomevetcare.com/index.htm
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2013, 10:51:58 PM »

My vet said to expect about 20 years on an indoor cat... mine were young in comparison.
I think your vet is overly optimistic, honestly. Anytime an indoor cat gets beyond 15-16, that is quite a gift. My previous cat Princey (strictly indoors) lived to be about 17-18. My current cat Mimic is about 6-7 now and I am looking forward to many, many years with him. He's truly my buddy.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2013, 07:29:49 AM »

Cat has caught 2 mice in 2 days.  Both alive when I found them.  The one yesterday was frozen stiff, but its little chest was heaving extraordinarily fast, so I don't know if it was dead, playing dead, or dying of shock. 

The one today, our cat was very interested in an area of the room under a shelf that he usually doesn't give a shit about... that was the tipoff.  We knew he was hunting something, and about 10 minutes in, he comes trotting out with a mouse in his mouth.  He takes it downstairs into our family room and is letting it go, then re-catching it.  Does this about 3 times while I am getting the necessary equipment to get the mouse outside.  So, he was going to play with it for a bit before killing it, clearly. 

We saw 2 mice in the previous 18 months in this house, so 2 in 2 days is quite a feat.  Must be trying to escape the rain or something.  This is what I am paying this cat for is to catch mice, so good job Smokey.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2013, 11:07:56 AM »

Good job, Smokey!

As for end-of-life measures for kitties, our previous cat, Nick, died a few months before his 20th birthday. He was pretty spry until the age of 18, although he had some trouble jumping before that. We made kitty steps for him so that he could get onto the sofa, chair and bed easily. So even though he was declining physically, he still had pretty good quality of life.

We knew when it was time to put him to sleep. Knowing didn't make it any easier, but we knew it had to be done. We took him to a pet hospital, and were with him when he crossed over. We opted to have him cremated. His ashes are in a little wooden cremation box with a plaque bearing his name and dates. We have a little photo of him on top of it.

I still miss him every day.

Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2013, 02:50:16 PM »

Good timing on the end of life chatter. Today my cat, Linus, was diagnosed with lymphoma in/around his intestines. He's currently in hospital (been feverish and not eating since Wednesday) and I am trying to decide what to do. I don't want to put him down but chemo only gives him 9 months at the most and I don't want him to suffer through the treatments. What do you guys think? Those of you who've been through the cancer with kitties and did chemo, was it worth it?

I really don't know what to do. Any and all advice is welcome right now.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »

I did not do chemo with my kitty with cancer. I did subcutaneous fluids, though, so that he wouldn't starve (he quit eating and lost 7lbs...) And then there came a day when I knew I was keeping him alive for me and not for him.  I think he was too far along when we discovered he was sick, so I don't think chemo was even an option.

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 03:53:19 PM »

Good timing on the end of life chatter. Today my cat, Linus, was diagnosed with lymphoma in/around his intestines. He's currently in hospital (been feverish and not eating since Wednesday) and I am trying to decide what to do. I don't want to put him down but chemo only gives him 9 months at the most and I don't want him to suffer through the treatments. What do you guys think? Those of you who've been through the cancer with kitties and did chemo, was it worth it?

He can have one of my shoes

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2013, 04:10:19 PM »

He can have one of my shoes
[/quote]
Awwww... thanks.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »

That's a tough one Poolio. I don't mean to be crass but I suppose it's also a matter of money. I have no idea how much chemo treatments would cost although I imagine it's not cheap.

If it was me, I might go with kittie heaven rather than string it out. I know that it would really upset me and I prob would take a "kittie time-out" after that for at least 2-3 months. That is what i did when Princey passed away 3 1/2 years ago. At the end of the time-out I was ready to love another kittie without feeling bad or guilty that I took in another kittie "so soon".
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »

This is just my opinion, and in no way am I saying that this is the best course, but I think it would be kinder to put him to sleep now, so he can die peacefully with no more suffering. There is no way to explain to him why the chemo drugs will make him feel so ill, and he will still lose weight and deteriorate slowly, the same as a human would with that prognosis. I would rather remember him how he is now rather than remember him in a worse state.

Just my thoughts, and I'm sorry that it's likely not what you want to hear. My mum's cat eventually had to be put down after having cancer. I wouldn't want anyone else's cat to go through that.

It's also kind of on my mind after seeing my mum's best friend become unrecognisable with brain cancer. It's a horrible, undignified way to go.

*hugs*
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:00:33 PM by lutz »

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »

After consulting with friends who'd been through it and thinking about it very hard, I opted to put him to sleep. The boyfriend and I went on Friday night, spent some good quality time with him and then he went quietly and peaceful into kitty heaven. I won't say that it was easy and I won't sleep well for awhile but it was the right choice. I know the horrors of chemotherapy and I know what the cancer would do to him... and, well, I wanted to spare him from knowing any of that. Linus was an amazing cat who brought joy to my life and is leaving a large, furry hole behind him.

My heart will be broken for a good, long time but there are other kitties in my future. I just hope that they are as wonderful as Linus was.
Thank you all for your good thoughts and advice.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2013, 06:16:54 PM »

Vibes, Poolio! Such a hard decision to make, and so hard to go through. I'll be thinking of you!

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »

Thanks hon. I really appreciate all the good thoughts from everyone here and around the intertubes this weekend. It is really strange sitting in an empty apartment.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2013, 11:17:57 PM »

My heart will be broken for a good, long time but there are other kitties in my future. I just hope that they are as wonderful as Linus was.
Thank you all for your good thoughts and advice.
Poolio, Linus is indeed in kittie heaven. Just give yourself time to grief and eventually your heart will open to getting another kittie, whom you will love and who will love you.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39   Go Up