Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cat Thread  (Read 26013 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: The Cat Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »

Both my cats wait at the door for me to come home from work, because they know it's feeding time.  I come in, and they meow and then start trotting hopefully towards the food dish. 

word up.  can't even take my shoes off.  likewise when my cell phone alarm goes off.  both just hollering at me.  i tell them it's only one of many alarms and they leave me alone only to repeat the process. 

we got squishface from the cincinnati zoo.  he's terrified of strangers.  berny is outgoing and sits on my shoulders when i take him outside.  we want to toilet train them and get 'em leashes. 

we got fleas when maria was in the congo.  ever since then they've been able to cat-apult to great heights.  i blocked off the top of the fridge and they sleep atop the cabinets.  my hope is they both become really fat.  berny has a nice pooch. 
poach eggs, not elephants

eyeball

• loving my RNY
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 10:21:33 PM »

oh cats. I said goodbye to powder after 14 glorious years 2 summers ago. I miss her.

that said: Ziggy, 12, likes to get outside. he lays about and then cries to come back in.

Cassie, 5 ish, likes the garage...they be mice in thar. she is fat...and its from mice. bitch. keeps bringing them to me. ugh.

they like food. they hang by the door adn then run to the bowls. you know..half empty so they must not have anything in them.   sigh. I've been a cat mom for 16 years.

now..if the kids would just leave the cats alone there would be fewer owies and crying around the house. but hey...live and learn kiddos.
I've lost 197 lbs yo!  ***updating 4/12  I've lost 218 lbs yo!*** Updated 6/2013 biotch has lost 225lbs! :)

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 11:02:28 PM »

- If you can, spread the feedings out over the course of the day: A little bit several times a day as opposed to all at once.
Thanks for all the tips on dealing with cats that throw up.

This comment caught my attention. I always thought that, unlike dogs, cats do not need this treatment. In fact, I've never done it. I always put out (and refresh regularly) a full bowl of both food and water, and my current cat (or my previous cat) never ate everything in the bowl. Just a little bit, as they feel like it. It's just that Mimic still feels like throwing up, not all the time, just once in a while (maybe once a week or so). But that once in a while over the course of months of course takes its toll on the carpet.

The idea of not giving much or anything to eat to my cat while I am gone from the house makes me uncomfortable. Or to just give a few bits of cat food at the time.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 01:02:01 AM »

If your cat doesn't eat all the food at once, and isn't getting fat I'd just leave things the way they are.  A lot of cats tend eat worse if they don't have a constant food supply at hand because 1)  Sometimes they get hungry and 2) they worry the food might not be there if they leave it.

One of my cats will self-monitor himself.  The other won't.  If I leave food out for both cats the one cat will eat it all. And get really fat.  And still scarf it down and puke.

I have found that if I feed them expensive, healthy canned food the puke-y cat will puke less.  But you can't leave wet cat food out.  Also their poop will be runnier and smell reeeaaaaalllly bad. 

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 06:07:51 AM »

Euro, you might speak to your vet about it. Murphy sometimes had trouble digesting his food (he is a grazer, not a four legged Hoover), and would throw up. He also sometimes struggles to poo and we would hear him meowing loudly in his litter box. We spoke to our vet about it and he did some tests and found that Murphy lacks some sort of stomach enzyme that helps break down his food.

The vet suggested wet food, but Murphy (who we adopted when he was 7years old - he was brought to the shelter when his elderly owners could no longer care for him) had always been fed dry and wouldn't eat wet/canned food. So the vet suggested something called "Catlax," which is a kitty laxative in a squeeze tube. It has really helped Murphy.

He still throws up on occasion - mostly because he LOVES drinking out of a running tap and will drink until he is about to explode...and then does. He's like a furry water balloon.

It's also possible that Mimic might be allergic to one of the components of the food. Do you switch out different types, or feed the same thing? If you switch it out, it might be worth keeping a kitty food diary to see if it's a certain type that Mimic throws up. If you feed the same thing, maybe try switching it.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 06:48:19 AM »

He still throws up on occasion - mostly because he LOVES drinking out of a running tap and will drink until he is about to explode...and then does. He's like a furry water balloon.
This made me giggle. Poor little Murphy.

Euro, is Mimic prone to hairballs? My cat will throw up if he's got a belly full of furballs (he eats any loose fur off the floor) and he eats too much.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

eyeball

• loving my RNY
  • City Elder
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »

Cassie brought me another mouse last night but I got to hear her torture the poor thing first. beats it waking up and running away when I try to pick it up like last time *ew*
I've lost 197 lbs yo!  ***updating 4/12  I've lost 218 lbs yo!*** Updated 6/2013 biotch has lost 225lbs! :)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 10:48:43 AM »

If your cat doesn't eat all the food at once, and isn't getting fat I'd just leave things the way they are.  A lot of cats tend eat worse if they don't have a constant food supply at hand because 1)  Sometimes they get hungry and 2) they worry the food might not be there if they leave it.

One of my cats will self-monitor himself.  The other won't.  If I leave food out for both cats the one cat will eat it all. And get really fat.  And still scarf it down and puke.

I have found that if I feed them expensive, healthy canned food the puke-y cat will puke less.  But you can't leave wet cat food out.  Also their poop will be runnier and smell reeeaaaaalllly bad.

we feed our cats thrice daily.  a handful at a time.  they're always hungry, so sometimes i give them a little late night snack.  it amazes me that berny has a pooch.  he used to steal squishface's food, but i put an end to that over numerous backhands.  cats hate backhands.  the only time when we put a lot of cat food out for them is when we're going away for a weekend.  we fill up a casserole dish and say, "peace, bitches."  i've dubbed this the catserole. 

we have a box of wet cat food that was less of a gift than it was an "i don't need this."  we've never feed them wet cat food and frankly i don't like this runny even more smelly shit.  their litter box is right next to our crapper and i enjoy a good crap.  is there benefits to wet cat food?  our cats only crave commercial cat food. 

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »

is there benefits to wet cat food?  our cats only crave commercial cat food. 

Cats typically don't drink enough water to keep themselves fully hydrated if they're on exclusively dry food.  Here is a decent enough breakdown of the issues.

http://www.catster.com/cat-food/cat-food-wet-or-dry

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 12:49:14 PM »

is there benefits to wet cat food?  our cats only crave commercial cat food. 

Cats typically don't drink enough water to keep themselves fully hydrated if they're on exclusively dry food.  Here is a decent enough breakdown of the issues.

http://www.catster.com/cat-food/cat-food-wet-or-dry

thank you for that.  that was quite a good read.  i have no idea how to proceed now. 

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »

My old vet wanted me to give my cats only wet food, to help with hydration, and male cats can get kidney infections really easily. That being said, I can't afford to do that, so they get 50/50 wet dry. They get 1 cup of dry food daily, and a can of wet food daily, divided into two servings.

I got stern talking tos that I was letting the cats down, but then I figured, hey! Have you seen what I eat?!? (It's not cat food, btw)

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 05:44:15 PM »

I always thought that wet food was unhealthy for cats. My previous cat was addicted to wet food so when I got Mimic I never even started giving him any wet food (just like in the shelter, I don't think they serve wet food there either). Maybe I should start feeding him some wet food and see if that helps with the occasional vomiting  :-\
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2013, 08:09:25 PM »

Yes, I go with the 50/50 split. They each have their advantages, although the wet food has more health related advantages according to the research I've done. I give my cat a 3 oz can of wet food in the morning and I even add about 1/3 can of water, too. My cat loves the meaty flavored water, so it's good for him from that perspective. I give him a high quality dry cat food in the evening because my budget likes that better and it's supposedly better for his teeth and gums.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »

I feed my somewhat 50/50-ish as well. 

I feed them cheap premium brands.  Either Natural Balance or the ones that say 1, 2, 3 where 3=tuna and 2=chicken or whatever.  Whichever one is on sale.  I used to just get 24 cans delivered every three weeks from PetCo and it was super cheap at $1.10 or so a can.  Then two times in a row the shipment didn't show up.  I don't know if it was stolen or what.  So now I go to the store and I have to pay $1.50 a can.  Plus I have to go to the store.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »

Does anyone have any "end of life planning" resources for cats?

Not to be morbid or anything, neither of my cats have any known health issues at all.  But they are both at least 15 years old now, maybe a little more.

Are there people/places you can call who will come to your house and put down a cat and how do you find them?  If your cat dies, do you just put it in a paper bag and take it to the SPCA like "Yeah, here's my dead cat?"  Stuff like that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39   Go Up