Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cat Thread  (Read 16662 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: The Cat Thread
« Reply #570 on: May 15, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »

i was outside the other day talking with some friends and i look in the backyard and see either a raccoon or very large cat.  i opted for raccoon.  turns out it was my cat.  no idea how he got outside as the door was closed.  berny's apparently a pretty big cat.  he isn't fat.  as a tom cat he'd probably be more slender if he got to stay the fuck outside like he wants
poach eggs, not elephants

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #571 on: October 22, 2017, 09:27:22 PM »

i wouldn't know if my cats were considered big cats unless people told me.  i'm apparently not very observant.  i see cats all the fucking time in my neighborhood.  it think it's great. 

i took squishface to the vet last  week.  it's the only time i've ever done so in the six years he's been alive.  he saw the vet from the zoo where he was created and that's it.  i wanted to take him and convinced my wife that this should probably be a yearly thing. she didn't have an opinion.  her father used to take the weak or infirmed out back and shoot them. 

i did have a concern though which precipitated this vet.  lil' ole squishy had him a dangler(or a cliffhanger).  i wasn't sure if the piece of shit was still inside his ass or just wrung up in the hair.  doc says he can't clean himself probably because he's a bit chubby.  how the hell does a cat lose two pounds?  i honestly never stick around long enough to watch him eat to ascertain his level of nutrition.  them cat food bowels is mostly look like they ain't touch a thing.  i have started to clean their dishes.  i feel kinda shitty about neglecting, no, even being aware that that needed to be done.  it's gotten better, slightly better.  but better.  he's got another piece a shit stuck again

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #572 on: October 23, 2017, 07:21:39 AM »

i wouldn't know if my cats were considered big cats unless people told me.  i'm apparently not very observant.  i see cats all the fucking time in my neighborhood.  it think it's great. 

i took squishface to the vet last  week.  it's the only time i've ever done so in the six years he's been alive.  he saw the vet from the zoo where he was created and that's it.  i wanted to take him and convinced my wife that this should probably be a yearly thing. she didn't have an opinion.  her father used to take the weak or infirmed out back and shoot them. 

i did have a concern though which precipitated this vet.  lil' ole squishy had him a dangler(or a cliffhanger).  i wasn't sure if the piece of shit was still inside his ass or just wrung up in the hair.  doc says he can't clean himself probably because he's a bit chubby.  how the hell does a cat lose two pounds?  i honestly never stick around long enough to watch him eat to ascertain his level of nutrition.  them cat food bowels is mostly look like they ain't touch a thing.  i have started to clean their dishes.  i feel kinda shitty about neglecting, no, even being aware that that needed to be done.  it's gotten better, slightly better.  but better.  he's got another piece a shit stuck again

WAKA WAKA!

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #573 on: December 03, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »

i did have a concern though which precipitated this vet.  lil' ole squishy had him a dangler(or a cliffhanger).  i wasn't sure if the piece of shit was still inside his ass or just wrung up in the hair.

I believe the clinical term is a "dingleberry".
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #574 on: November 07, 2018, 02:04:10 PM »

berny's been shitting by my basement chair a few times a week.  part of my morning routine revolves around that chair, even more so now.  i have no idea what i did to this cat.  me and him are cool to this day.  as the last update says, i've never been treating those cats better.  i never like hose the litter boxes down but i take out their shit almost everyday.  does he want more attention?  pissed off i won't let him be outdoor cat?  looking forward to your answers   

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #575 on: November 07, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »

It's good that you scoop the litter every day, but you do need to change the whole litter box too from time to time. If it's one cat and one box is less often than multiple cats and one box. Multiple boxes means less frequency too, so I can't tell you how much.

Sometimes they do this because they are upset at something (were you gone for a long time?) or sometimes it's because they are sick.

There's also the fact that once a cat decides where a safe place to go the bathroom is (outside of the litter box) they will return to that place to do so. And there are citrus-y sprays which help fight this. Cat's also won't go the bathroom in the same place that they eat, so one trick is to move their food bowls to the spot if it's possible. This might fix it...or just move the problem to another location.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #576 on: November 07, 2018, 02:47:39 PM »

They just do that sometimes.  Who knows why?  Maybe something spooked them sometime using the litterbox.  Or they took a nasty dump there and now associate it with that.  Maybe they just one day decided that taking a crap on that chair might be a little more comfortable. But once they do it, it becomes a habit and cats won't change habits. 

Cats don't crap places because they are *supposed* to.  They crap wherever they like best.  So, you have to make the chair less desirable while simultaneously making the litterbox more desirable.  Like from your cat's perspective, everything is working out great.  The chair smells like his own poop so he knows its a pooping place just for him.  And you clean it up after him so it doesn't get too nasty.  What's the difference to him between pooping there and the litterbox?  He'll just go where he likes it better.

Clean that chair with some of that cat pee/poop enzymatic cleaner.  Put something on the chair to make it a little less comfortable.  Buy a brand new litterbox and put it right near the chair.  See if the cat poops in the box.  Keep that litterbox really clean.  Gradually move it a few feet every other day from the chair.  If you have multiple cats, first make sure you know which one is doing it.  Then pay particularly close attention to how that cat is acting, particularly around other cats. 

Cats get older and/or lazier and their territories kind of change.  It could be that nothing is wrong with the cat that's pooping in the chair.  Something is wrong with the other cat and that cat has become insistent about using that one litter box and defending it.

I had one cat go deaf.  It took me a long ass time to figure it out, because they hide it well.  They know what time you come home and when you feed them.  They also know the other cats, so if they see that cat run to the door they know something is up.  It took until one day when I took one of the cats to the vet and came home and the other cat didn't come running to me even when I opened a can of catfood that I realized he couldn't hear any more.  Went upstairs and the cat was dead asleep.  Before I figured that out, I was having all sorts of minor issues with that cat.

There are just all sorts of things in a cat's environment that can tilt the balance between one sort of behavior and another.  And cat's don't like to change their behavior.  Once one thing is .0001% more attractive than the other, they'll just stick with it.  You have to really pay attention and watch carefully to see what's going on, then make small changes and see what happens again, until you figure it out.

And honestly, sometimes you never do.  Sometimes you end up just having to sacrifice the chair and putting a litterbox in it or newspaper.  It's their chair now.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #577 on: November 07, 2018, 03:54:38 PM »

There's also the fact that once a cat decides where a safe place to go the bathroom is (outside of the litter box) they will return to that place to do so.
That is what I think as well. It's not about the litter box as such. Something must've happened while the cat was using the litter box and now he doesn't feel safe there anymore.

You may want to consider getting a new litter box and then placing it in a new spot, and hope that he starts using it, while at the same time you put stuff on your chair (say, a mountain of books and magazines) so that the cat cannot use it anymore.

Good luck!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #578 on: November 07, 2018, 11:23:02 PM »

Cat lovers, you may want to read this book, "the inner life of cats". I thought it was terrific

https://www.amazon.com/Inner-Life-Cats-Mysterious-Companions/dp/0316262870?ref=pf_vv_at_pdctrvw_dp
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #579 on: November 09, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »

tnx guys!  the first thing people usually say to me is, "damn.  what you do to that cat?"  which was was the conclusion i formed as well.  happy to hear that may not be the case

just to clarify, he takes a dump by the chair, never on it.  sometimes it's by a leg or a few feet away.  i always knew it was berny even before i caught him red handed.  he's the cat that gets blamed for everything even though i know damn well squishface isn't the sweetheart he claims to be.  i've had to apologize to berny on numerous occasions.  what can you really say to a cat? 

my mother has serendipitously offered me a relatively worn cat box, a gift from beyond the grave of her beloved.  i said no thanks.  but after reading y'alls answer i have inquired about it

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #580 on: November 10, 2018, 12:49:36 AM »

i've had to apologize to berny on numerous occasions.  what can you really say to a cat? 
you tell your cat how much you love him, that's what

shower affection to your cat, and hope for the best

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #581 on: November 14, 2018, 11:11:08 AM »

We recently picked up a pair of ferals from a co-worker.  Living next to a farm field we have mice like crazy so these guys are our newest and only employees.  They weren't in the greatest shape when I got them: fleas, worms etc.  Most of their litter mates had goopey eyes.  They've been sequestered to the barn so far, apparently that's how you get them established to stay on your property.  The vet fixed them up (and fixed them) they've been dry, warm, clean and fed for a while now and they're getting so they don't recoil at my every move.  One of them has even started showing interest in me rather than running away whenever I approach, and not just because I have treats... though maybe he thinks I have treats.  If I do get ahold of them they let me hold them and don't try to get away which seems amazing to me; we had to trap one of them when I went to get them because he only the one was chill enough to let anyone within ten feet.  I want to bring them in the house and make them pets so bad, but Julie falls apart when she's in a house with cats so we can't do it.  I'm hoping they actually come around once they have the run of the place and let me pet them.  The chill one is still chill, so he probably will.  The other is decidedly less chill.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #582 on: Yesterday at 12:01:08 AM »

spend as much time with them as you can! We had outdoor only cats growing up (it was a on a farm), and about half of them were unable to be touched, and the others were total luvvies.
And just keep bribing with treats!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]   Go Up